9 replies to this topic

#1 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:37 AM

I'm attending the GraphExpo '09 convention in Chicago next week (11th thru the 17th of sept).

Staying north of McCormick Place and wondered if anybody wants to fly kites with me while I'm out there. I have some seminars to attend plus walking around thru 1.2 million square feet of exhibits, but I can adjust to suit YOUR schedule. I can't get out to the burbs too easily though, a rental car is pretty useless in most big cities!

I only have plans set-up for Sunday evening so far. Reassembling the college gang of knuckleheads for the Bears/Packers game at my old roommate's residence.

So where can I fly nearby, even if I'm all alone?
I've flown at a big water fountain display in the park, (across Lakeshoredrive, nearby the Drake hotel I believe?)
-paul

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:14 AM

Might be a tough time to get together with Illinois fliers. There are two events going on the weekend of the 12th-13th, but not right in Chicago.

Saturday and Sunday is the Frank Mots International Kite Festival on the Milwaukee lakefront. iQuad, the Chicago Fire, and others will be performing. Many members of IKE will be there on Saturday.

On Sunday the 13th is the DeKalb Kite Festival out west in Dekalb, Illinois. Most of IKE, and the 180Go quad team will be out there.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:16 AM

Hey, just saw in another thread that you went to NIU.

The Dekalb fest is at NIU on the North Forty.

#4 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thanks Jeff,
I would so enjoy going out there for that Dekalb festival, but alas I've already committed to hangin' with the old gang on Sunday.

My high school reunion is the next weekend, but I've gotta' help out on a regional sport kite event with our sister club the Richmond Air Force.
so I'll miss that gig too. I haven't been back there for 35 years, geeze!

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Jeff,
I would so enjoy going out there for that Dekalb festival, but alas I've already committed to hangin' with the old gang on Sunday.

My high school reunion is the next weekend, but I've gotta' help out on a regional sport kite event with our sister club the Richmond Air Force.
so I'll miss that gig too. I haven't been back there for 35 years, geeze!

Well, if you ever do get back to the area, check our event calendar on the club website to see what's going on and when.

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:39 AM

the calendar doesn't provide enough information
to go it alone Jeff, I'd need a contact point also.
(may I recommend that be added to the website calendar in the future?)

Here's how we do it in our little group
http://www.wowkitecl...om/calendar.htm
most locations take you to coordinator's email address

thank you very much for the offer though!
best regards,
-paul

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:31 AM

the calendar doesn't provide enough information
to go it alone Jeff, I'd need a contact point also.
(may I recommend that be added to the website calendar in the future?)

Here's how we do it in our little group
http://www.wowkitecl...om/calendar.htm
most locations take you to coordinator's email address

thank you very much for the offer though!
best regards,
-paul

No one person is the contact...each event gets a thread in the forum where we can talk and plan. Usually we include a link to the thread with the item, but by "we" I mean "me," and I haven't done that for some of the late season ones. Just been busy and forgot, especially since there's a lot of forum discussion about them. But yeah, I need to get back on top of that...

#8 steve

steve
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:36 AM

I've flown on the beach on the Drake Hotel side a bunch of times. I use to go to conventions there a few times a year when I had a real job. There also used to be a kite shop at the Navy Pier, but that was a while ago.

Have a great time. Chicago is one of my favorite cities.

Sue
High Flyers

PS: Give my best to Barbara!

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

thanks Sue, I'll tell Barbara you guys said hello!

Being from Chicago, it holds a special place in my heart as well.

In 1995 and '96 for example, I used to do the "five-'n-fifty" with the old college gang. That's five sports events in 50 hours, . ....
two pro basketball games (my college roommate is the Bulls' director of tickets),
a pro hockey and pro football game plus a college football game in one single weekend!

Man we had some fun, for example driving the wrong way (into oncoming traffic) on LakeShore Drive in tour bus. Stopped by the police, who then opened a gate after determining who was running our traveling show. We drove the bus and parked it on soldier field, NOT in the parking lot! Crazy stuff, we carried bail money just in case things went terribly wrong or we got separated from the group <LOL!>

I'll be putting on a one-man show on the lakefront in my spare time.

#10 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:03 AM

I returned from the "Windy City" (Chicago) yesterday, flying for six days at Buckingham fountain, at least a couple of hours per day. Well I also attended a huge trade-show in between my sessions for business training.

I had a great spot too, if you can be comfortable over a concrete surface. Lots of spectators and camera buffs enjoying the excellent weather, so plenty of people, strollers & pets to chase <LOL!> I flew a mid-vent once, the rest of the time an SUL full sail and race frame on 80 feet with long throw no-snag handles. So much for enjoying the direct winds off of Lake Michigan, HA, maybe next time it will be winter time and some real howling breezes will challenge me!

If you ever get to the city this is a fine spot to put on a show. The space is restricted, trees and massive buildings on most sides, but the wind seemed to come from the same direction every time I was there, morning or late afternoons. It was very similar to flying at the monument grounds in DC, just less flying area and no grass to work with (if you want a big crowd watching you that is!) I flew once down the road, still in Grant Park though, where I could use 120s but not enough folks watching to make me stay there, so back to the fountain. Two different cab drivers recognized me from their drive-by efforts on previous days. I flew an Old Glory made by Bazzer mostly.

I'll need to replace a couple of bridles as my throws and catches were NOT always 100% successful. Abrasion is quickly noticeable, particularly on the center attachment point of the leading edge's bridle point. My end-caps are becoming nicely rounded as well, from walking the kite & tip-stabs.

I advised a class from the Art Institute of Chicago on Monday. They had made kites, but with no aerodynamic pointers or examples of successful designs to follow. After watching them struggle, I went over to see what I could do to help out. Bridled on the wrong side or only a one bridle point, no cross-braced structure to hold the wings solidly against the wind, flopping around pieces making flight impossible, too short of an initial launch technique,... Etc. but hey!, it's an art class, so their efforts were extremely creative,... they just wouldn't fly. I questioned the instructor about what guidance he offered the students and he said no references or a material list were even provided. The string they had could have been useful to secure a boat in the harbor. Somebody volunteer to help them in the future before their efforts crash and bust!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users