Photo

Line winding with minimal twists/tangles, iQuad style...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

I hope I'm around the next time you do this Ant. According to these instructions you're leaving your kite behind.

Good eye ;)

#22 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

however i quad has to do this because of how many line sets they have .. to wrap them on handles would mean carring a bulky bag of some sort..

Just have to point out, this isn't exactly true...

We use winders and this method because it's proven to be the fastest, easiest and most reliable for us, hands down.

While I full well understand it works well for some people, not a single one of our members wind onto the handles unless we're dealing with really short (indoor/street) lines... We've had too many issues with it over the years, as individuals.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

At this link http://www.revkites....h...ost&p=16391
You can Visually see in photos how I have been wrapping my lines. It was posted on 31 March, 2008.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

scott.. i did leave the kite out but im sure many of us wouldnt leave it behind :lol: john b i see your point as well if you have a method that works why change it .. i have a seprate bag for my wound up handle sets but its also a spare parts bag as well :)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#25 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

scott.. i did leave the kite out but im sure many of us wouldnt leave it behind :lol:

JB and I (Alden too) can attest differently to that comment! 2 letters.........TI B) :lol:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#26 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

the easy way would be to walk out 480 feet from where you want to start... sorry! :huh:
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#27 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

Well, I'm still hit or miss on lines...... period.

But I am starting to pay attention while winding lines. It's actually working taking down and setting up again for the last couple of times out. :lol: I was starting to get to not to dread........ whew..... winding my lines. Or thinking of, " what kinda crap did I get myself into" this time out when setting up. I finally got the huge knot in my 50# 40' lines after about 2 weeks of tinkering B) (favorite lines in half mile an hour or less outdoors.) and the rust is starting to fall off, so all together things were starting to come together. :)

Setting up today went perfectly, the first time. On both the 80' ers and the 40' s. ;)
Went from 3 mph when I first got there at 6 pm to won't even slightly rock the prop in my wind meter, but smoke show'd direction.
I just had to walk too much for the 80' 90# line. So fearfully I put my favorite lines for the conditions out and the light wind ball continued :wub: Occasionally crash on purpose just to throw the kite and watch it float out to the end of the line. Had a blast.

Time to go. So I rocket to the top and back strait down to the tips. Got to thinking about, "Well, if throwing the kite is working and that fun, I wonder if I could catch it?" :lol: So I grabbed the top lines at arms length and started to give the gentle jerk, and whoosed, only giving enough of the jerk to get the kite about 10 feet closer to me and bridle down. So, long story short...... :lol:

Some how after seperating all 4 lines and putting them together on both ends I had a small (by comparison) knot just past middle while winding up. :rolleyes: After a while of working on getting the knot out, again, I ran outta light.... again. All of a sudden the knot popped loose and I was finally going home on a good note. LOL, with the knot all spread out on my fingers, both feet and my teeth apparently when I flicked my Bic, I lightered the center line of the knot. :huh: Just the one line, about 10' or so from the sleeved loop.

Moral of this short story.... :lol:

Learn from your first mistake and try not to repeat the feat and up the second experience.
Oh, and lighters and line don't work together when it's dark.

Me

#28 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

When I only had a couple kites, I wound my lines around the handles for years and never had a problem. I had a set of handles with long lines wrapped around them and set of handles with a short set of lines attached.
Now that I have a few more kites, and a few more linesets, I mostly use a winder. I use the iQuad method with the winder.

I've always wanted to ask someone at Laser Pro if winding a figure-8 or straight winding made a difference for the health of the lines. Specifically, since straight winding puts a lot of twists in the lines, does it affect the braid? Does it work more dirt into the braid?
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#29 Steven Lim

Steven Lim
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

Just a small point to add.. I remove the handle from the lines, and when I wind the lines on the winder, I keep the knots where the sleeves are out of the way of the actual winding. I find that this helps because otherwise during unwinding, those knots can sometimes snag the lines and "jerk" the unwinding.. Also helps to prevent "knicks" on the lines..

#30 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

I find it interesting,how different people unwind/wind there lines up at the start/end of a flying day.I have tried all the methods and this is the one I found the easiest.Go to your DIY/hardware store and buy a length of the grey pipe insulation(the stuff with the hole down the middle).Measure the length of the bottom of the handles(from base of grip to end of handle)around 6 inches and cut foam to length.When you have finished flying,land leading edge down and let the kite fall away from you so it is laying flat.Take one of your handles and push the bottom of the handle into the hole on the pipe insulation so it now covers the bottom of your handle.Then grab both lines and start to wind around the pipe insulation all the way to the kite.When you have reached the kite disconnect the lines and wrap the remaing lines around and slot the sleeving into the pre cut slot on the pipe foam.When it comes to the set up attach your lines to the kite and walk backwards letting the line unwind from the foam sleeves you have made.Now stake you handles and walk back to the kite and stand it up(leading edge facing down).Then grab both brake lines and walk back to the handles.If you have any twists pick up the relevant handle and un twist it.Once this is done lay hadles together in one hand,rotate 180 degrees and your ready to go.Don't forget to pick up your stake.I was shown this by the guys I fly with and have had no problems as of yet.This is only the way I find easiest,everyone has there own method,to each his/her own I say.
All the best

Daz

#31 JoneZ

JoneZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

Im going to try the bottom line single wrap technique JB. That seems to be my only issue when winding. Asides from that I have minimal issues, even being new to Quad lines.
All I do, is just keep the L/R lines separated in my hand while winding (top and bottom larksheaded L and R respectively) by keeping the L lines ontop my index finger, and my R lines inbetween my 2nd/3rd finger, and wind tight. As long as the lines are separated while winding, they unwind the same way 99% of the time. The only issue I was having was the bottom line slack (which caused me bunching while winding up), but with that initial bottom line wrap, that should take care of it, and also allow me to keep my handles attached! Thanks for that little trick. :)

When I'm setting up, I just repeat the process in reverse -- keeping L and R lines separated in one hand, while unwinding with the other (keeping tension between left and right hand, NOT between kite stake and hand holding the lines). Once unwound, just give the L and R lines a jiggle before attaching to the kite - set up handles, and Im good to go. Now, with being able to keep the handles attached, I should just be able to rotate the handles to get top and bottom twists out (as stated in Jbs initial post) and fly off.

Think I might hook a vacuum to my nose to get rid of this head congestion, so I can test this out today!! lol
Formerly "Spz0"

-Namaste
~Jon

http://jonez.pcriot.com

#32 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

one of the main things, i have learned from trying different ways of winding lines ( winding line on the handles , separating line from handles , etc )
whatever steps you chose to wind up ... and it works , do those steps in the same order every time
less frustrating tangles :kid_cussing: and you are in the air quickly
i wind up using
the same method john describes ... with one addition, i have a short stake that i slide under the bungee cord holding the handles and line on the winder
compact and easy to store
cheers
terry w
ISLAND QUAD

Edited by terry w, 05 January 2010 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image

#33 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Lynn and I both use the JB method of winding our lines, except that we wind from the handle end each time, which turns the lines end to end each time we set up. That spreads the wear caused from lines sliding on each other.

We disconnect the handles, as the next time we fly, we might want to use a longer or shorter line set.

No figure eight.

Has worked very well for us for several years.

Thanks John.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#34 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

I've just completed the first in my series of Kitelife video tutorials for using Revolution kites, this one on line management...

It's a bit long at 10 minutes, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible. ;)

More to come, stay tuned!

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#35 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Well done JB!

One thing I want to stress, Mainly because it can't be stressed enough, is to always set your kite up and "park" it with the leading edge down. This is to keep your kite from self launching and becoming a hazard to others. This is especially important at festivals, with so many people around.

BTW JB, I love your kitestake......... :kid_loved:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#36 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

I'll bet the store owners hate this video ... now they won't be selling as many line sets.

Good video, even if you do demo the beginners method of circle winding. Seriously, it should really help a lot of folks. The pseudo wraps were well covered and keeping the ends from flopping around, as well as, how to position the kite were well presented.

A short companion video showing how to tie a larks head knot should be considered for your todo list.

Thanks,
Tom

#37 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

Finally a Perfect demonstration of line management for those that need it.

Thanks John, Great job :kid_smartass:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#38 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hi John-

Posted Image

Well done. Couldn't be any clearer!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#39 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Good video, even if you do demo the beginners method of circle winding.

Hey, figure eight is good if you need the extra wrist exercise. ;)

Thanks all for the encouragement and kudos!

Just finished rendering the 3D tutorial (catch and throw), about to do additional videos for kite assembly and tear down, flat relaunching (leading edge away and leading edge towards you), as well as light wind techniques... Please understand, all the work I've put into these, most of them will be going into the Kitelife subscribers area, but the essentials like line winding, assembly and a few other items will be on YouTube for all to see.

Also, the videos on Kitelife will be in both 1280x720 HD resolution, as well as versions for iPod. ;)

Many more on the near horizon... Clockwork, tuning theory, 360s, kite inertia, etc, etc, etc, etc, sky is the limit.

John Barresi

#40 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

Good story Johnny Blaze !!!

I think i need a Kitelife Subscription !............................Posted Image

Thanks .....................nice video for the Noobs.

Edited by Madquad, 23 February 2010 - 04:27 PM.

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users