24 replies to this topic

#21 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

One web site I saw listed Belmont plateau in Philadelphia as a "best place to fly". Anybody been there?

http://www.windpower...kite-flying.php
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#22 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

you want the best beach in jersey.. W.I.L.D.W.O.O.D that should be eazy enough for ya
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#23 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

A LOOONG way from Princeton.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#24 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

Regarding Sandy Hook -

I had two unintentionally hilarious conversations with Park Officials today. First with the guy who answered the phone who said there "might be a problem with in-season kite flying". When I asked about bird nests he said "Oh year, we ban pets from the beaches in season due to the piping plovers nests (endangered species) from March 15 to around October, and we'd probably ban kites too." I pointed out that October was well past season and he said off season is probably OK. He also gave me the number for Cynthia Leone, who gives out permits.

So Cynthia Leone, who is VERY nice, tells me you can't fly kites ANY time due to the birds, so you risk a ticket if you do. I then asked if anyone had done an impact analysis on the birds, if the bay side was OK (since the kitesurfers go there) etc. She said she needed to consult with someone and get back to me.

It seems like the rules there are more or less ad hoc. which fits with what I hear from y'all. Anyone interested in making a more formal push to the Hook authorities? It gets under my skin how they are giving citations without any formal clarity on the rules. Of course, we could just make things worse....:kid_cussing:

#25 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

Cynthia called me back today and left a message described as a "final" answer - "You ARE allowed to fly kites on the Bay Side, not the Ocean side".

Kind of bad news, given the shallow beaches on that side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users