#1 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hi,

I read with a lot of interest on the other thread about the new Revolution Zen that is supposed to come out of the Rev workshop in due time. As echoed by many, its pretty frustrating and not a whole ton of fun gaining and losing ground in low wind with a B-Series STD with Race Rods after a while.

Like many out there too who's into using the B-Series more for precision, the preferred kite of choice would be a vented as opposed to a STD due to the much smoother and more forgiving flight characteristics, given a desired wind speed.

So hence, my question is that - does it make the B-Series standard obsolete in a sense? In say probably 1mph – 4,5mph you can fly the Zen. Anything more would be Mid Vent territory from what I read (I don't own a Mid Vent but I've heard about its minimum low wind range to be 3mph and above). Say I want to be able to fly full window precision with maximum drive and load from anywhere from 1mph to 12 mph, would a Zen + Mid Vent (with the appropriate rods of cos) be sufficient?

Hmmm…

Darryl

Edited by lasapcheong, 30 August 2009 - 09:37 PM.

#2 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hi,

I read with a lot of interest on the other thread about the new Revolution Zen that is supposed to come out of the Rev workshop in due time. As echoed by many, its pretty frustrating and not a whole ton of fun gaining and losing ground in low wind with a B-Series STD with Race Rods after a while.

Like many out there too who's into using the B-Series more for precision, the preferred kite of choice would be a vented as opposed to a STD due to the much smoother and more forgiving flight characteristics, given a desired wind speed.

So hence, my question is that - does it make the B-Series standard obsolete in a sense? In say probably 1mph – 4,5mph you can fly the Zen. Anything more would be Mid Vent territory from what I read (I don't own a Mid Vent but I've heard about its minimum low wind range to be 3mph and above). Say I want to be able to fly full window precision with maximum drive and load from anywhere from 1mph to 12 mph, would a Zen + Mid Vent (with the appropriate rods of cos) be sufficient?

Hmmm…

Darryl

Quick answer no.

Why do I say no, well with time the 1.5 will fly down to almost nothing, also there is still the Rev 1 - this is still flown by The Decs in most wind, The Zen will suit them very well and will also be a bonus to demo / competition teams who need a reliable light wind tool.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

As a comparison.The thing or senario i pondered over was.When the Race Rod arrived.Would 3wrap[ultra lite]rods become redundant.They havent or dont seem to have.Neither have Pro use rods[2wrap].

People like choice and variety.

Its the spice of life ya know

BRIAN...

#4 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

There is considerable overlap in the wind ranges of the various models of Revs. With the right skill set and frame you can be flying a Full Vent beside someone else on a Standard sail. One of you may be working a bit harder, but can be done. ;)

I wouldn't think that the Zen would make the B-Series Standard obsolete. The B-Series Standard is a different flying kite than the Zen: quicker, snappier, where the Zen is slower and takes up more sky, which can look very graceful and impressive.

#5 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

There is considerable overlap in the wind ranges of the various models of Revs. With the right skill set and frame you can be flying a Full Vent beside someone else on a Standard sail. One of you may be working a bit harder, but can be done. ;)

I wouldn't think that the Zen would make the B-Series Standard obsolete. The B-Series Standard is a different flying kite than the Zen: quicker, snappier, where the Zen is slower and takes up more sky, which can look very graceful and impressive.

I hope that there will be some images available of the Decs JMH Rev 1 sails and Rev 1.5 sails flying in a 16 team at Portsmouth last Saturday. The 1 sails were spared with 4 wrap and the 1.5 sails with 3 wrap.

Felix

#6 Yrna

Yrna

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

I hope that there will be some images available of the Decs JMH Rev 1 sails and Rev 1.5 sails flying in a 16 team at Portsmouth last Saturday. The 1 sails were spared with 4 wrap and the 1.5 sails with 3 wrap.

Felix

Of course there are images. Right here.

#7 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:24 AM

OH man!! That looks freaking awesome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users