24 replies to this topic

#21 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

I don't know if that was the year it snowed. I don't think so.

The snow year is when Austrian Television invited us to fly indoor at a shopping center. I was the only one to accept. I think that was April, 1995.

Hmmm, I thought it always snowed in Vienna but maybe I was thinking of rain.

Still struggling with the memory of a Black Rev2!

Felix

#22 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

I agree on the Bainbridge to Carrington comparison. The other popular nylon was Toray. Toray also had colors more to the pastel spectrum.
Icarex was the first "popular" polyester, there might have been some others before that were less poular.
Toray had a ripstop polyester with a name somewhat like Chakira. It was Toray's answer to Icarex. It was softer, thus did not crackle like Icarex. Toray's colors were all towards pastels. I don't recall the correct name. I have not heard anything about it for several years.
Icarex has the more brilliant colors.
I really don't know much about Chakira except that it is a ripstop nylon.

Hi John, yep forgot to mention Toray.

And Jeff reminds me of the two weights also. I might even have an original swatch somewhere of Icarex. I was flying (dual Line) for Benson Kites at this time (and winning consitently :wub: - got to love Tim's kites) and I seem to remember there may have even have been a third weight for Icarex.

Also re Martin's soft kites. The Ballon fabric is either uncoated or only coated on one side, this gives it the ability to "balloon" which works so well for soft inflatable kites.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hi John, yep forgot to mention Toray.

And Jeff reminds me of the two weights also. I might even have an original swatch somewhere of Icarex. I was flying (dual Line) for Benson Kites at this time (and winning consitently :wub: - got to love Tim's kites) and I seem to remember there may have even have been a third weight for Icarex.

Also re Martin's soft kites. The Ballon fabric is either uncoated or only coated on one side, this gives it the ability to "balloon" which works so well for soft inflatable kites.

For the Icarex there was the P-31, P-38 and the P-38 with Mylar backing. I used the latter in a Leading Edge on one of the few REVs that I still have.
The later was only available in very few colors, one being black.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

The Ballon fabric is either uncoated or only coated on one side, this gives it the ability to "balloon" which works so well for soft inflatable kites.

One more question then ... are the nylon and poly materials used in the Rev kites coated on both sides? How is it coated?

Thanks,
Tom

@Felix ... I love the color combo on your Rev II ... it's probably my favorite!!!

#25 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

One more question then ... are the nylon and poly materials used in the Rev kites coated on both sides? How is it coated?

Thanks,
Tom

@Felix ... I love the color combo on your Rev II ... it's probably my favorite!!!

That is hard to say as there are different manufactures used.
The Pro series I am told is only Icarex. The last I heard, it was coated only on one side. It might have changed since I last looked into the specs.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users