24 replies to this topic

#1 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

I decided to look at the Rainbow kite and see if I could rescue it.

The end caps were all like the rev handle attachment points with the triangular loop. I replaced them with the plastic versions and with the sleeve at the LE connections. The bungees had lost elasticity so they were also replaced. I found another use for the needle nosed pliers in opening the grommets to thread the bungees.

The LE is too long but that may be because this was a prototype. I looked at the centre connector and found that it was less than ideal. I will look out for another Rev 2 LE in due course.

The bridle is heavy weight and has some interesting variations as in the attached images. I will look forward to flying this kite again. Give its age the sail fabric is in very good condition with no evidence of colour fade or material degradation.

Felix

Attached Thumbnails

• P8240089.JPG
  • P8240088.JPG
  • P8240090.JPG

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

wow, that's old school for sure!

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

I decided to look at the Rainbow kite and see if I could rescue it.

The end caps were all like the rev handle attachment points with the triangular loop. I replaced them with the plastic versions and with the sleeve at the LE connections. The bungees had lost elasticity so they were also replaced. I found another use for the needle nosed pliers in opening the grommets to thread the bungees.

The LE is too long but that may be because this was a prototype. I looked at the centre connector and found that it was less than ideal. I will look out for another Rev 2 LE in due course.

The bridle is heavy weight and has some interesting variations as in the attached images. I will look forward to flying this kite again. Give its age the sail fabric is in very good condition with no evidence of colour fade or material degradation.

Felix

I do believe that this is a very rare and maybe a one and only REV II version. This would be classed in the REV II rainbow series. It was probably made around 1989/1990.

1. It has the short sail, which apparently never went on the market. We found 5 or 6 more short sail REV II basics when digging through the Revolution vaults last March. These were the single colored versions. There is only vague recollections of why they were short.
2. This has the large red logo. The productions versions in this color scheme, being longer, had black logos.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

I do believe that this is a very rare and maybe a one and only REV II version. This would be classed in the REV II rainbow series. It was probably made around 1989/1990.

1. It has the short sail, which apparently never went on the market. We found 5 or 6 more short sail REV II basics when digging through the Revolution vaults last March. These were the single colored versions. There is only vague recollections of why they were short.
2. This has the large red logo. The productions versions in this color scheme, being longer, had black logos.

Hi John,

Thanks for the observations. I always knew that this was fairly unique kite but I have no hesitation in upgrading the components. Andy King sold it to me so I will see if he has any recollection of it next weekend at Portsmouth.

I hope to be able to compare it with a current production model in the next few weeks.

Felix

#5 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

I do believe that this is a very rare and maybe a one and only REV II version ...

John,

I noticed that the Dacron reinforcing strip, spanning the screening at top of the vertical rods, goes internal to the leading edge sleeving. It doesn't wrap over the top on the outside of the leading edge sleeving. Is/was that common in the early years?

Cheers,
Tom

#6 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

John,

I noticed that the Dacron reinforcing strip, spanning the screening at top of the vertical rods, goes internal to the leading edge sleeving. It doesn't wrap over the top on the outside of the leading edge sleeving. Is/was that common in the early years?

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

That may be too much detail for me but thanks for the observation.

I will have to look at other early kites that have survived but I suspect that John will have access to detailed records.

Felix

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

John,

Cheers,
Tom

If I recall correctly that was correct up until the time they placed Kevlar reinforcement underneath the vertical Dacron which must have been about 1991/92 time frame. At that time the vertical Dacron with Kevlar underneath was placed on the outside of the horizontal leading edge Dacron. This Kevlar is still placed there today.
This Kevlar reduced the grinding effect of the vertical and horizontal rods. The horizontal rods were having a problem of developing grooves created by the vertical rods.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#8 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

If I recall correctly that was correct up until the time they placed Kevlar reinforcement underneath the vertical Dacron which must have been about 1991/92 time frame. At that time the vertical Dacron with Kevlar underneath was placed on the outside of the horizontal leading edge Dacron. This Kevlar is still placed there today.
This Kevlar reduced the grinding effect of the vertical and horizontal rods. The horizontal rods were having a problem of developing grooves created by the vertical rods.

Thanks John. That's a great variant to separate the old kites from the really old kites.

It also looks like non-ripstop nylon on that sail. True? If so, when was ripstop introduced?

Cheers,
Tom

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

Thanks John. That's a great variant to separate the old kites from the really old kites.

It also looks like non-ripstop nylon on that sail. True? If so, when was ripstop introduced?

Cheers,
Tom

Ripstop nylon and/or ripstop polyester were always used on the Revolution sails.
Some have very fine squares which I notice is more common to ripstop nylon. It goes up to large squares and even rectangles which I notice is more common to the ripstop polyesters.
Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripstop for a more precise clarification of ripstop.

#10 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for the observations. I always knew that this was fairly unique kite but I have no hesitation in upgrading the components. Andy King sold it to me so I will see if he has any recollection of it next weekend at Portsmouth.

I hope to be able to compare it with a current production model in the next few weeks.

Felix

Felix, I recall that you once flew a black REV II in Vienna. Did it have a red logo?

#11 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Felix, I recall that you once flew a black REV II in Vienna. Did it have a red logo?

Was that the one made from 'bin liner' plastic?

Helmut has that one in his personal collection as I recall.

Felix

#12 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

The material has the 'ripstop' grid in small squares.

The material is not over stressed given its age. Another later Rev2 I have has disintegrated due to UV degradation.

Felix

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

Was that the one made from 'bin liner' plastic?

Helmut has that one in his personal collection as I recall.

Felix

Nope! It was an original.

Seems to me the DECs were five and you flew a routine where the other four formed a shape on the ground and you landed on top with the black REV II.
I was looking through photos, however I could not find that one.

#14 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Seems to me the DECs were five and you flew a routine where the other four formed a shape on the ground and you landed on top with the black REV II.

Hi John,

I think then that the sail must have been one from the stack which I need to investigate in respect of the Rainbow kite. I think that there is a Taft sail somewhere...

Felix

#15 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Jeepster,

I'll throw in my bit. Around this time in the UK and I would guess US, we were going thru a bit of a change when it came to ripstop, with different suppliers making cloth available to the growing kite market. Namely Carringtons & Bainbridge. Seem to think Carringtons was a bit crisper, and Bainbridge was softer. There were also different weaves available and there was also chakira and icarex.

Sure someone will clarify what I can vaguely remember

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#16 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hi Jeepster,

I'll throw in my bit. Around this time in the UK and I would guess US, we were going thru a bit of a change when it came to ripstop, with different suppliers making cloth available to the growing kite market. Namely Carringtons & Bainbridge. Seem to think Carringtons was a bit crisper, and Bainbridge was softer. There were also different weaves available and there was also chakira and icarex.

Sure someone will clarify what I can vaguely remember

I agree on the Bainbridge to Carrington comparison. The other popular nylon was Toray. Toray also had colors more to the pastel spectrum.
Icarex was the first "popular" polyester, there might have been some others before that were less poular.
Toray had a ripstop polyester with a name somewhat like Chakira. It was Toray's answer to Icarex. It was softer, thus did not crackle like Icarex. Toray's colors were all towards pastels. I don't recall the correct name. I have not heard anything about it for several years.
Icarex has the more brilliant colors.
I really don't know much about Chakira except that it is a ripstop nylon.

#17 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Seem to think Carringtons was a bit crisper, and Bainbridge was softer. There were also different weaves available and there was also chakira and icarex.

I think of it as being the other way around -- the Bainbridge is a crisper fabric and the Carrington is much softer (and I won't get into the softness of the Carrington balloon fabric, which Martin Lester used for years and insisted was the only appropriate thing for soft figure kites!)

I've got a number of Carrington kites at home, as well as probably 5-7 yards of vintage raw fabric, if I ever figure out what to build with it...but I'd never use it on a rev!

Seems to me like Icarex came out in '94, or maybe at the prior season. I know I bought and sewed my first icarex in late spring of '94. This was back when icarex came in two weights, and didn't have the polycarbonate coating. Great stuff. The "3/4oz" (actually much lighter) had a traditionally sized ripstop reinforcing pattern, while the "1/2oz" had the larger pattern.

#18 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

Sounds plausible! Pity that you could not find an image...

Was it snowing?

Felix

#19 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the primer on nylon/ploy fabrics.

I was employed by Caterpillar for the majority of my working life. It's left me extremely naive about the world of rapid product changes. Even though we constantly updated our product to take advantage of new technologies, there is/was a permanence about the product line. Want a part for a 25 year old machine? No problem, we can probably have it to you in a day or so. Need a special casting from a 50 year old machine? That will take a little longer, but we'll get out the old drawings and have one made for you.

My first experience with kite materials was with rods. I wanted to make some 42 inch LE rev-like kites for a mini stack. Well, the rods that my guru used on his kites are no longer made. So, after much research, a viable substitute was chosen. When I went to buy some, they were in such short supply that I'd of needed three suppliers to get enough for a six-stack and a spare. Came up with a reasonable third substitute (had to make the kite slightly larger cause of extra rod stiffness) and bought enough for the stack ... yep, went back to buy a few more and they're out of them. Now I know why Ben growls so much ... I would too if my livelihood depended on a steady stream of "like" product.

Cheers,
Tom

#20 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Sounds plausible! Pity that you could not find an image...

Was it snowing?

Felix

I don't know if that was the year it snowed. I don't think so.

The snow year is when Austrian Television invited us to fly indoor at a shopping center. I was the only one to accept. I think that was April, 1995.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users