End cap problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Acrilix

Acrilix
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:32 AM

Just got out yesterday with my new race rods. I was a little bit disappointed at first, as I still struggled more than I expected, even though the breeze felt like I shouldn't. Mind you it was very gusty again, and kept dropping off to nothing, which didn't help. Anyway, after an hour or so it got a lot better, and I ended up putting in a 4 hour session! The problem was, that twice during this session I noticed the LE protruding about 3 inches from one side of the kite. The end caps had come off, and I was probably quite fortunate that I didn't snap my new acquisition. I've no idea how this happened, though I was hitting the ground a little more often than usual! so I imagine that this was the cause. This has never happened though, so far, with my 3 wraps, so I presume that part of the problem must be the new rods. Are they bending more?
Any advice? apart from "don't hit the ground!!" :lol:

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

I could check the shock cord / bungee tension to be sure and there is obviously a 'tolerance' in the length of the rods and it could be that your RR leading edge is a tad (universal measurement unit) shorter then your 3 wrap, combined with the fact that the RR bends more could be it .... most likely cause though is contact with the ground ... sorry but I don't think its possible to lose an end cap in flight when the kite is loaded ... it does happen quite often when you fly with 'certain people' who like to drag you out of the sky but most often after losing a battle with gravity ;)

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, double check that there is some tension holding it on, and that it takes more than a light pressure to remove it.

But otherwise, all I can say is stay clear of the ground. Until you get a little more proficient, you should probably spend more time flying a bit higher if you can.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#4 Acrilix

Acrilix
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:18 AM

Had another long session with the race rods yesterday, but had no problems with the end caps this time. The tension isn't that great, but it's impossible to know if it is normal without another kite for comparison. I expect it is though, and the problem must have been caused by catching the ground at the wrong angle. It was just a bit odd that it happened twice with the new rods when it had never happened before!
I'm afraid that flying higher isn't really an option. It's just too much fun trying dive stops, low swoops, tip landings, low slides etc!!! :lol:
I still can't stop smiling when I fly this kite!
:) :) :) :) :)

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

If the end caps fall off occasionally, you could run a "retaining line" thru the leading edge sleeve. Tie one end directly to the outer end cap, the other end is a sliding knot that locks into place until released.

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

LE end caps can be pulled off by dragging the leading edge across something that grabs it which could even be the grass.
I tend to keep the bungees on my leading edge fairly tight to where you have to pull a bit to get the cap over the rod ends. The leading edge material does not stretch as easily as the sail material.
For the vertical caps, I keep the bungees a little looser.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:49 AM

when tightening bungies
some folks will push the end-caps above the leading edge, that's a sure tangle point when thrashing!

On our low wind stuff we simply tie those two caps in place with hi-test bridle line so they can't rise. I'd like to see covers placed over the knots and washers too, but I'm too lazy to do it myself.

#8 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

when tightening bungies
some folks will push the end-caps above the leading edge, that's a sure tangle point when thrashing!

Paul,

I feel like the class dunce ... please try it one more time ... I don't understand what you are explaining.

Puzzled,
Tom

PS ... just to add to the dunce picture ... I just discovered that bridle line has an initial stretch. Hmmm. Should have have know, but never thought about it.

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

lots of folks just jerk the bottom triangle bungies tighter when adjusting the tension on the sail.
By so doing they are effective moving the end-caps (on the verticals) higher, .... up above the leading edge.
If it was nice and smooth instead, the flying lines would be able to slip passed this point unhindered.

Say your axel fell short of a full rotation and the kite blunged to the ground. You might have to walk down there to free the flying lines, if it fell forward onto the bridles (leading edge is now facing you). Without these caps sticking up, you could just rotate the kite 180 degrees OVER the flying lines and relaunch.

clearly now?
-paul

#10 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

lots of folks just jerk the bottom triangle bungies tighter when adjusting the tension on the sail.
By so doing they are effective moving the end-caps (on the verticals) higher, .... up above the leading edge.
If it was nice and smooth instead, the flying lines would be able to slip passed this point unhindered.

Say your axel fell short of a full rotation and the kite blunged to the ground. You might have to walk down there to free the flying lines, if it fell forward onto the bridles (leading edge is now facing you). Without these caps sticking up, you could just rotate the kite 180 degrees OVER the flying lines and relaunch.

clearly now?
-paul

I was focused on the leading edge end caps! Your earlier explaination makes no sense when applied to them ... duh.

That mixup should garner me several points towards a village idiot award.

Thanks,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users