16 replies to this topic

#1 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

I am planning on picking up a set of long lines, 120 ft/90# for future team flying (I know, I've got a ways to go before that happens but I want to be all prepared for when it does) and a set of short lines for flying in tight spots.

Hopefully I can get the lines when I am down at WSIKF this month to save a little on shipping and customs.

What I am wondering is which combo of short lines to get?

Some folks talk about often flying with 30 ft/ 90# lines and then recently someone mentioned that they like to fly at sunset with 50 ft/ 50# lines. What do folks here think, if I go with just one set of lines shorter than my current 85ft/90# lines, what would it be?

thanks,
Erin
Everything Changes

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

Get yourself another set of 85'x90# and have someone help you make a set of 50' AND 30' will probably be a few dollars more then buying just one of those sets separately and you'll end up with 2 sets.

30' will be really fast action especially if you are fairly new to flying 50' are a good length for short set my usual when flying alone. Fast but not too crazy in higher winds.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

As said above is great advice.
You minghtI also try them in ZERO wind .The times weve used short lines at festivals when nothing was flying.They have been a God Send.

BRIAN...

#4 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:18 AM

Get yourself another set of 85'x90# and have someone help you make a set of 50' AND 30' will probably be a few dollars more then buying just one of those sets separately and you'll end up with 2 sets.

30' will be really fast action especially if you are fairly new to flying 50' are a good length for short set my usual when flying alone. Fast but not too crazy in higher winds.

<-- Seconds this. Wish I would have thought of that myself as I could now stand to have a set of 50s. Short line flying is alot of fun. :)

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#5 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

Sounds good - great idea, one line set to be modified to into two!

thanks,
Erin
Everything Changes

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

I will third, or is it fourth or fifth the splitting lines idea.

Or investigate how much bulk line you can get if there is any available. Get some bridle line and a wire to use to thread it. You might even be able to make up 3 different line lengths for similar outlay. And by the time you have done it you will be an expert line maker.

Not sure if Theresa at Thekiteshoppe supplies bulk LPG, might be worth asking her though if you fancy my idea.

#7 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I will third, or is it fourth or fifth the splitting lines idea.

Or investigate how much bulk line you can get if there is any available. Get some bridle line and a wire to use to thread it. You might even be able to make up 3 different line lengths for similar outlay. And by the time you have done it you will be an expert line maker.

Not sure if Theresa at Thekiteshoppe supplies bulk LPG, might be worth asking her though if you fancy my idea.

Theresa does have bulk line as well as the sleeving and the sleeve threading kit. She will be at WSIKF, and I can help you make line sets if needed there as well.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

I am planning on picking up a set of long lines, 120 ft/90# for future team flying (I know, I've got a ways to go before that happens but I want to be all prepared for when it does) and a set of short lines for flying in tight spots.

Hopefully I can get the lines when I am down at WSIKF this month to save a little on shipping and customs.

Some folks talk about often flying with 30 ft/ 90# lines and then recently someone mentioned that they like to fly at sunset with 50 ft/ 50# lines. What do folks here think, if I go with just one set of lines shorter than my current 85ft/90# lines, what would it be?

thanks,
Erin

I have been seen many times on my 30' 90lb set. I flew almost exclusively on this set for almost a year. I love it to death and I could not part with it (unless I had another set). But, chances are, I will be playing on them at some point at WSIKF, and you are welcome to see what you think.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

thanks,
Erin

Hi Erin!

Yes, I will be at WSIKF and yes, I will have line sets and bulk line spools. :)

Ask Mario and Terry about making sets as well.....I gave them a little demo last time we were together.

Looking forward to meeting you!

See you next week!
Theresa

#10 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:45 AM

My favorite length is 25'. THey are fast to set-up and take down, they have a quick response time which helps when you switch over to longer lines because things seem a lot easier. I LOVE my 25s....just my opinions though. I think that 50s are too close to 85s and the 25s are my choice length.
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#11 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for all the input and offers! I'm really looking forward to meeting many of you at WSIKF and am sure I'm going to learn more about flying Revs in a few days there than everything I've gleaned in my summer of flying so far!
Everything Changes

#12 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for all the input and offers! I'm really looking forward to meeting many of you at WSIKF and am sure I'm going to learn more about flying Revs in a few days there than everything I've gleaned in my summer of flying so far!

Oh, I feel ya! WSIKF has always been a BIG jumping point to learn new things. It seems you just learn way faster when around others.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

My favorite length is 25'. THey are fast to set-up and take down, they have a quick response time which helps when you switch over to longer lines because things seem a lot easier. I LOVE my 25s....just my opinions though. I think that 50s are too close to 85s and the 25s are my choice length.

I also have a set of 25's there awesome, really learn what the kite is doing when its so close. IMHO.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#14 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

My favorite's my 50s..... I have two sets, both 150lb. (Line weight makes virtually no diff. when they're that short; I get great near-zero-wind performance regardless............. so I figure why not make 'em strong enough to fly in whatevermph.) Just short enough to make the kite zippy, snappy, and uber responsive, but long enough to have a decently sized window.

I've also got a set of 25ftx50lb, which I really ought to use more often........
kairusan

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

I prefer my 15mtr(about 50ft) 40Kg(about 90lb) Shanti line set. I use them about 70-80% of my flying time.
There not too short and not too long and quick to wind up.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#16 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

Good to know how much you guys like your 50's. Can't wait to try my first 50's next week at WSIF. Theresa has me all ready to go. I'll be adding 30, 50 and 120 linesets to my kit to compliment my current one and only set of 85's. By the end of that festival my kite bag should be fairly tricked out. :)
Everything Changes

#17 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

Good to know how much you guys like your 50's. Can't wait to try my first 50's next week at WSIF. Theresa has me all ready to go. I'll be adding 30, 50 and 120 linesets to my kit to compliment my current one and only set of 85's. By the end of that festival my kite bag should be fairly tricked out. :)

You might consider making one of the shorter sets of line 50lb. Have them made with either very lite sleeves or no sleeves.
Pros: They have much less resistance and give you a much better feeling of the kite in less wind. You normally will not use short lines in heavy wind anyway.
Cons: They do tangle easier, however being shorter it's manageable.

I mention this because my absolute favorite set of lines is about 50' and 50 lbs. I use them every chance I get :wub: with 1.5s, Blast(w/race rods, and Rev1 w/2 wrap).

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users