40 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

Ok, I thought I'd create a thread about The Solent Kite Flyers and Stokes Bay.

As a few of you know, the SKF are planning a Better Flying Day, provisionally for either the 1st or 2nd weekend of October down here at Stokes Bay. The aim being to help or be helped with your flying and to maybe experience other types of flying (single or dual etc..). All are invited :)

I also thought it'd be a good opportunity to invite any flyers from around the southern UK to join the SKF. Not only does being a member help to promote kite flying, and help towards keeping the Southampton Kite festival running, but there are plenty of wise heads to get advice from, and it also means that you are covered by their 3rd party insurance when flying out and about in public areas...

Membership is currently 15 for family or 10 for individuals and runs from October for 12 months. However, if you join now, your membership will run through until Oct 2010.

Please contact Mike Lowe via e-mail; secretary@solentkiteflyers.co.uk and the website is Solent Kite Flyers

As for Stokes Bay! Well, today was a bit light on wind, and I have to say I really couldn't get it together... Still quite a bit of fun was had by Martine, Sanja, Mr Jones (And eventually his family), Jeremy, Winston, Les and Les Snr. And seeing Colin from the SKF's antique and immaculate REV's was interesting. A Backtracker and a couple of BRIGHT (I mean Miami Vice bright!) EXP's of the same vintage. It even had the price sticker on it still!!!!

Hopefully things (wind wise) will be better next Sunday and we can get a few of us together again for a pre-Portsmouth firball.

Edited by Mr Git, 09 August 2009 - 11:55 AM.

No problems getting it up - It's using it properly that's the problem!

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

Have to say today was as perfect a days rev flying as I could imagine ..... Definitely my favorite conditions .... 5 knots, sun and a day of padding around on grass without shoes, and I broke another race rod..... I even went for a swim in the Solent with the kids after flying.... luckily no Greenpeace do-gooders to roll me back in the water when I got out :lol:

The team flying is coming on leaps and bounds despite what you might think Mr G ;) and I'm pretty sure Winston will be joining the line next time we meet :)

even got the kids to fly their 'toys' for longer then 2 minutes it doesn't get better then that!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6285.JPG

Edited by Jonesey, 09 August 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#3 Yrna

Yrna

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:04 AM

While I agree the wind was a bit on the low side, I actually really enjoyed flying yesterday. Full sail and race rods had more than enough lift to practice some team flying and I had immense fun doing so. Light wind means more control, as long as you can keep the kite in the air. I actually can't believe I'm saying this, but it's true.

Yes, I still do drop out of the sky on occasion, but I it's starting to get easier to find wind and keep the kite up there with the others. A month and a half ago when I first met the guys at Southampton Kite Festival the best advice they could give me was "Don't fly in winds this low". (I did only have an SLE frame at the time). Even though there wasn't an awful lot of wind yesterday, I never felt that I simply can't fly in those conditions. I'm really just so happy with the day we had yesterday :) We even managed a blender in the end!

#4 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:10 AM

See you there Sunday 16th 11ish :)

Weathers looking fun!

#5 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

See you there Sunday 16th 11ish :)

Weathers looking fun!

Don't know where you guys get your weather from .. I'm predicting sun and 10knots max .... Perfect day I reckon ... (on that basis I recommend you wrap up warm!) .. see you there ;)

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Much as it pains me to do so I must concur with the pink attired gentleman - sunny in the morning, wind building to 10kn, cloudier in the afternoon. There is an outside chance of 15kn, but I will eat Jonesey's lunch if it is anything 'exciting'.

Edited by Sailor99, 15 August 2009 - 09:02 AM.

Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#7 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

G*@ you two!!! :censored:

10 - 15 mph is going to be fun!

Loads more fun than no wind at all... And my flying's always exciting to be around! LOL

Edited by Mr Git, 15 August 2009 - 10:05 AM.

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

What's this mph nonsense? Wind comes in kn. Lubbers :o
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:09 AM

What's this mph nonsense? Wind comes in kn. Lubbers :o

Beaufort

Devised by British Rear-Admiral, Sir Francis Beaufort in 1805
based on observations of the effects of the wind

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#10 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

Beaufort

Devised by British Rear-Admiral, Sir Francis Beaufort in 1805
based on observations of the effects of the wind

Sailed all my life and just don't do Beaufort sooooo last century dont you know .... and it just never made sense to me ... 3 = Leaves and smaller twigs in constant motion ... no bloody good to me at sea :lol: (and yes I know there is a sea conditions version I'm just being bloody minded as usual) .... Its knots or nothing for me!

SO... I reckon 10knots max tomorrow but if there is enough sun early as forecast we might get some thermal activity although perversely SW gradient isn't the ideal direction for the best sea breeze in the Eastern Solent ...

and now the shipping forecast ....... :lol:

#11 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

No jonesey, john is quite right to correct us.

Tommorrows forecast. Wight, SW 2 increasing 3 occ 4 later, good, slight.

Edited by Sailor99, 15 August 2009 - 12:21 PM.

Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

No jonesey, john is quite right to correct us.

Tommorrows forecast. Wight, SW 2 increasing 3 occ 4 later, good, slight.

Once upon a time, I was a bubble head spending most of my time at sea, underneath the sea.
I never saw a leaf blowing around and rarely ever saw a wave. Wind was rarely a concern to us.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#13 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

OK, how about KPH for those younger/more European?

MPH is what the MET Office and the BBC use, and most NORMAL PEOPLE have a better frame of reference when MPH/KPH is used, rather than some obtuse and archaic system involving leaves or bits of string!

And anyway, Knots is used to measure a vessels speed through WATER!

#14 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

Oh, and before I take Fraser's Taxi...

Latest from the Met. Office is a Westerly Wind, maxing out at 14MPH, 23KPH, 6M/S, 12Knots, or Force 4. :P

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

OK, how about KPH for those younger/more European?

MPH is what the MET Office and the BBC use, and most NORMAL PEOPLE have a better frame of reference when MPH/KPH is used, rather than some obtuse and archaic system involving leaves or bits of string!

And anyway, Knots is used to measure a vessels speed through WATER!

Or to throw some more into the mess, meter/sec

I've lived in the USA with their feet, mph and gallon system.
I've lived at sea where it is spoken knots and feet.
I've lived in Central Europe where it is almost 100% metric, but sometimes wind is in Beaufort, particularly in Germany.
In the earlier IRBC rules we saw meter/sec, Km/h and mph. Now meter/sec are removed.
Airplanes fly at flight levels measured in feet not meters. Their airspeed is in knots not MPH or Km/h.

If every measurement were shifted to the metric system only, I would be very happy.

#16 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

Oh, and for Jonesey...

BEAUFORT SCALE: Specifications and equivalent speeds for use on land

FORCE EQUIVALENT SPEED DESCRIPTION SPECIFICATIONS FOR USE ON LAND
10 m above ground
miles/hour knots
0 0-1 0-1 Calm Calm; smoke rises vertically.

1 1-3 1-3 Light air Direction of wind shown by smoke drift, but not by wind vanes.

2 4-7 4-6 Light Breeze Wind felt on face; leaves rustle; ordinary vanes moved by wind.

3 8-12 7-10 Gentle Breeze Leaves and small twigs in constant motion; wind extends light flag.

4 13-18 11-16 Moderate Breeze Raises dust and loose paper; small branches are moved.

5 19-24 17-21 Fresh Breeze Small trees in leaf begin to sway; crested wavelets form on inland waters.

6 25-31 22-27 Strong Breeze Large branches in motion; whistling heard in telegraph wires; umbrellas used with difficulty.

7 32-38 28-33 Near Gale Whole trees in motion; inconvenience felt when walking against the wind.

8 39-46 34-40 Gale Breaks twigs off trees; generally impedes progress.

9 47-54 41-47 Severe Gale Slight structural damage occurs (chimney-pots and slates removed).

10 55-63 48-55 Storm Seldom experienced inland; trees uprooted; considerable structural damage occurs.

11 64-72 56-63 Violent Storm Very rarely experienced; accompanied by wide-spread damage.

12 73-83 64-71 Hurricane --

BEAUFORT SCALE: Specifications and equivalent speeds for use at sea

FORCE EQUIVALENT SPEED DESCRIPTION SPECIFICATIONS FOR USE AT SEA
10 m above ground
miles/hour knots
0 0-1 0-1 Calm Sea like a mirror

1 1-3 1-3 Light air Ripples with the appearance of scales are formed, but without foam crests.

2 4-7 4-6 Light Breeze Small wavelets, still short, but more pronounced. Crests have a glassy appearance and do not break.

3 8-12 7-10 Gentle Breeze Large wavelets. Crests begin to break. Foam of glass appearance. Perhaps scattered white horses.

4 13-18 11-16 Moderate Breeze Small waves, becoming larger; fairly frequent white horses.

5 19-24 17-21 Fresh Breeze Moderate waves, taking a more pronounced long form; many white horses are formed.
Chance of some spray.

6 25-31 22-27 Strong Breeze Large waves begin to form; the white foam crests are more extensive everywhere. Probably some
spray.

7 32-38 28-33 Near Gale Sea heaps up and white foam from breaking waves begins to be blown in streaks along the
direction of the wind.

8 39-46 34-40 Gale Moderately high waves of greater length; edges of crests begin to breakinto spindrift. The foam is
blown in well-marked streaks along the direction of the wind.

9 47-54 41-47 Severe Gale High waves. Dense streaks of foam along the direction of the wind. Crests of waves begin to
topple, tumble and roll over. Spray may affect visibility.

10 55-63 48-55 Storm Very high waves with long over-hanging crests. The resulting foam, in great patches, is blown
in dense white streaks along the direction of the wind. On the whole the surface of the sea
takes on a white appearance. The 'tumbling' of the sea becomes heavy and shock-like. Visibility
affected.

11 64-72 56-63 Violent Storm Exceptionally high waves (small and medium-size ships might be for a time lost to view behind the
waves). The sea is completely covered with long white patches of foam lying along the direction
of the wind. Everywhere the edges of the wave crests are blown into froth. Visibility affected.

12 73-83 64-71 Hurricane The air is filled with foam and spray. Sea completely white with driving spray; visibility very
seriously affected.

#17 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Feet, feet. I'm still in fathoms and cables. And no other measurement takes account to the curvature of the earth as well as a knot. Nor is any other integrated with the measurement of position. Far from being outdated it really is the best of measurements at sea and in the air. Would be on land too if only lubbers had the wherewithal to use it ;)

It would make far more sense if the uk bit on the bullet and went metric rather than this half way house. I still am care full to watch the miles per gallon of my car yet I buy my petrol in litres. How stupid is that!

It it is the metoffice forecast that the BBC relies on BTW I is gread at predicting rain and sun, especially in big cities, but pants at wind. Try the free windguru forecasts but take the hour-by-hour bit with a pinch of salt. The GfS model seems pretty accurate for Coastal wind although it struggle, as allmodels do, with thermals.

Edited by Sailor99, 15 August 2009 - 09:24 PM.

Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#18 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

No No every kite flyer knows winds comes in bucket loads or Race 3 or 4 wrap wot else do you need B)
GARY

Posted Image

#19 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

According to XC weather, the wind today in the Solent peaked at 24MPH gusting to 29MPH. So :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

#20 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Just got a thank you email from a chap who got towed back into portsmout by one of my boats yesterday evening - his engine had broken down and the wind ran out.......
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users