74 replies to this topic

#21 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

call up revolution and order them. Matter of fact call up and order the color REV II you want, and get something different. Or get something color coodinated to match your REV 1.5 and later you can create a progressive stack. All my REV IIs came with REV equipped rods. Ultra lights and Professionals are not standard. Some may refer to them as wraps, 4,3,2 respectively.

The biggest complaint you will hear is that they are too twitchy. I think they fly like a 1.5 sipping some red bull. It gives you wings! :blink:

#22 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

I had the same experience as Mr. Denny (BTW, I used to live in Merritt Isl). My first Rev was a 1.5SLE, and I wanted something with a wide wind range that I could particularly fly in low winds. I didn't want a 1.5SUL since it was so similar to the 1.5SLE (and didn't know about swapping out rods). I bought the Blast for low wind, and it really wasn't what I needed. I wound up buying a SUL eventually anyway, and don't really fly the Blast very much. For light winds, the 1.5SUL is first out of the bag followed with a Rev II with light wind sticks in it.

I have a pretty fair selection of Rev's, and my opinion is that each has their own personality and each is fun to fly in their own way (yes, even the Blast). My opinion is that you need to decide exactly what type of conditions you want and then pick the Rev that fits it best. You said that you don't fly in high winds. That's too bad, because a vented Rev I, 1.5 or Vented Sonic are a lot of fun in high winds. Sigh. I could talk about each of the conditions, but it would only make my envious about getting out and flying.

Just buy one of each; you'll wind up doing it anyway!!! :lol:

Doug

Thanks for you reply. It is valuable to learn which of your kites you pull out of your bag when there are light winds. I wonder what other people pull out of their bags in light winds? I was especially curious to learn that you pull out your Rev II w/2 wrap sticks before your 1.5 SLE. Does the Rev II with 2 wrap sticks fly in lighter winds than the 1.5 SLE?

I sensed wisdom in your last line...there is a good chance at some point I will buy both. I will use that in my next kite negotiation with my wife... ;)

#23 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

I got a II this year and love it. I usually get gusty winds when it's strong enough to fly it but when I get the smoother winds, WOW its like my 1.5 but faster. Some days I need the gusts to fly it, then I break out the 1.5. Where can I get the ultra lite rods, and will I need to cut them? How much would a set cost? Thanks

That is good to hear. I really am interested in the Rev II... I just hear that you need to fly it in 12+ mph winds to have it be "fun". It sounds like you have had success in lighter winds...

#24 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Yes negotiating with the wife can be a work of art. I am a pro at it now. I have 22 REVs.

#25 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:24 AM

Yes negotiating with the wife can be a work of art. I am a pro at it now. I have 22 REVs.

Holy Cow! That is a major achievement...you should hold a workshop or something! :lol:

#26 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hey Jman,

For my Rev 2, I really don't have any "real" Rev 2 2-wrap sticks. And I really don't know if Rev offers them. What I did was take a 2-wrap center spar from a Rev I (bought from Rev) and added a couple of outboard sticks to go to the Rev 2 LE length. And added some light-weight verticals that I cut myself. I'm at work right now so don't have access to the spars to tell you exactly what they are, but I can look it up in the evening and let you know. I know that they're readily available from most kite shops.

Someone once made fun of me trying to get a Rev 2 to fly in lighter wind, saying that I should have just used a 1.5SUL. But I found that it DID actually fly in lower wind, maybe not as low as a SUL, but it made for more versatility. So having light-weight frames for 3 kites, I now have a Rev I, 1.5, and 2 that I can fly in the light winds of a Carolina summer.

Later, Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#27 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

I'll vouch for what Doug says about Carolina summer winds, and fall and winter and spring inland winds!!

A few different revs with a few different frames and you can fly from 0 (if you move your feet) to 45 mph (if you can stand up!)

Don't forget that with lighter frames you can get vented versions down into lower wind ranges and take advantage of their added smoothness in light winds with occasional gusts.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#28 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

OK, here's what I do for my UL frame for my Rev II:

I use Skyshark 2P's for the verticals, cut to 24". They're a little thinner than the caps, but the tension of the bungees hold them in place.
For the LE, I use a Rev I 2-wrap center spar, it's 36" long plus the ferrules. For the two end pieces, I use Skyshark P100's cut to 19".

For cutting the spars, I wrapped them tightly with masking tape, and cut slowly through the tape with a fine-tooth hacksaw. Then filed the edges. I'm sure that there are more appropriate ways to cut, but it worked for me.

The downside of this arrangement is that a Rev II folds the leading edge in the middle. With my arrangement, the leading edge, after folding, will be over 36" wide, so won't fit into a Rev II bag very well.

But for flying, I now have another light wind alternative!!!

BTW Kip, I'm heading to Atlantic Beach about April 14th, so hope to try your vented kite with UL frame if the winds are low enough.

Later, Doug

#29 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

Hey Jman,

For my Rev 2, I really don't have any "real" Rev 2 2-wrap sticks. And I really don't know if Rev offers them. What I did was take a 2-wrap center spar from a Rev I (bought from Rev) and added a couple of outboard sticks to go to the Rev 2 LE length. And added some light-weight verticals that I cut myself. I'm at work right now so don't have access to the spars to tell you exactly what they are, but I can look it up in the evening and let you know. I know that they're readily available from most kite shops.

Someone once made fun of me trying to get a Rev 2 to fly in lighter wind, saying that I should have just used a 1.5SUL. But I found that it DID actually fly in lower wind, maybe not as low as a SUL, but it made for more versatility. So having light-weight frames for 3 kites, I now have a Rev I, 1.5, and 2 that I can fly in the light winds of a Carolina summer.

Later, Doug

Thanks for the clarification. I was going to try to order a set of 2 wrap sticks for the Rev II, when I get one.
Knowing this, it sounds like I will need to plan on some handy work to get light sticks for the Rev II.

#30 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

OK, here's what I do for my UL frame for my Rev II:

I use Skyshark 2P's for the verticals, cut to 24". They're a little thinner than the caps, but the tension of the bungees hold them in place.
For the LE, I use a Rev I 2-wrap center spar, it's 36" long plus the ferrules. For the two end pieces, I use Skyshark P100's cut to 19".

For cutting the spars, I wrapped them tightly with masking tape, and cut slowly through the tape with a fine-tooth hacksaw. Then filed the edges. I'm sure that there are more appropriate ways to cut, but it worked for me.

The downside of this arrangement is that a Rev II folds the leading edge in the middle. With my arrangement, the leading edge, after folding, will be over 36" wide, so won't fit into a Rev II bag very well.

But for flying, I now have another light wind alternative!!!

BTW Kip, I'm heading to Atlantic Beach about April 14th, so hope to try your vented kite with UL frame if the winds are low enough.

Later, Doug

Doug - thank you so much !!! This information is great !!!
When I get a Rev II I will try it. It is too bad that Revolution doesn't offer the 2 wrap sticks for the Rev II - it sounds like there is a market for them! :lol:

#31 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

Doug, I'll be there April 21 - 28
Kip Clement

#32 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

Doug - thank you so much !!! This information is great !!!
When I get a Rev II I will try it. It is too bad that Revolution doesn't offer the 2 wrap sticks for the Rev II - it sounds like there is a market for them! :lol:

They use to offer them back in the 90s, don't know about now.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#33 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

Kip, we always seem to miss by a week...

Ed and I will fly some...

Doug

#34 skysail

skysail

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

On my Rev 2 UL's I use P90 all the way through. On my 1.5 I'm using SkyShark Black Diamond Nitro's for a leading edge. I'll let you know how the tappered rods perform. John

#35 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

Doug, you would think that being in the same state we could co-ordinate better. Oh well, Ed will have someone to fly with two weeks in a row.

How are you liking that new B? Just ordered a vented B in mango to go with the red std. B.
Kip Clement

#36 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Holy Cow! That is a major achievement...you should hold a workshop or something! :lol:

Or write a book, Maybe you've been working at it awhile for 22 II's. I'll mention that to my wife a few times next kite. :lol:

#37 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

It could deffinately come in handy later in life

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#38 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

There are a few key points to my strategy. I am horrible about buying and selling. Well I signed a pact no selling kites. SO now she knows what to get me that I can't get rid of. I am cursed by my own choosings... And selling on eBay is a thing of the past, man I have some major withdrawals!!

#39 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

call up revolution and order them. Matter of fact call up and order the color REV II you want, and get something different. Or get something color coodinated to match your REV 1.5 and later you can create a progressive stack. All my REV IIs came with REV equipped rods. Ultra lights and Professionals are not standard. Some may refer to them as wraps, 4,3,2 respectively.

The biggest complaint you will hear is that they are too twitchy. I think they fly like a 1.5 sipping some red bull. It gives you wings! :blink:

hey quad kit the dunes have my name all over them :lol:
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#40 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

yeah right under the "KIT WUZ HERE" writings everywhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users