• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. Please help me choose my 2nd Rev.

I recently purchased my first quad kite; a Rev 1.5 SLE with 3 wrap rods. I love it! I would like to get another Rev for my kite bag.

What I like about the 1.5:
-Its speed
-Its ability to turn quickly
-It flies well here locally, normally the wind speed is between 2-8 mph
-Its responsiveness

Other Rev kites that interest me:
-Rev 2 (I like small quick kites. I am worried that my location may not be windy enough for it...)
-Blast (I hear it flies in lower winds than my 1.5 will. I am worried it will be slow like the Rev 1. The pull may be fun.)
-1.5 Baressi (I love my 1.5, it would be great to have another 1.5 with new graphics, different spars, and custom handles.)

What do you think?
What kite would you choose as your 2nd Rev?

I would appreciate your opinion!

Thank you,

Jex

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hi Jex

If I could only have 2 kites would be the 2 B's. Would have everything. Solid and vented 1.5, exellent graphics, exellent sail design. 3 sets of frames, pigtail handles and weights. Plus a neat DVD with exellent tips from John, including flying in water, yes I did say IN.

If only you had bought a B for your first kite I would say get the vented as your second. Now you will have to have the standard 1.5, a B and a B,V.

Then you can lend the 1.5 to anyone who wants to try Revs.

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:39 AM

I have only a 1.5 an an Indoor, but I have flown almost every thing else. Since you like the speed of the 1.5, I wouldn't suggest the Blast. It seems to me that your best choice out of those would be a 1.5 B.

Obviously you have looked all these kites up. Good job on your reserch!

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Sidsol

Sidsol
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

B series all the way

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. Please help me choose my 2nd Rev.

I recently purchased my first quad kite; a Rev 1.5 SLE with 3 wrap rods. I love it! I would like to get another Rev for my kite bag.

What I like about the 1.5:
-Its speed
-Its ability to turn quickly
-It flies well here locally, normally the wind speed is between 2-8 mph
-Its responsiveness

Other Rev kites that interest me:
-Rev 2 (I like small quick kites. I am worried that my location may not be windy enough for it...)
-Blast (I hear it flies in lower winds than my 1.5 will. I am worried it will be slow like the Rev 1. The pull may be fun.)
-1.5 Baressi (I love my 1.5, it would be great to have another 1.5 with new graphics, different spars, and custom handles.)

What do you think?
What kite would you choose as your 2nd Rev?

I would appreciate your opinion!

Thank you,

Jex

It depends on several things.
Do you want to fly in light winds? You could buy SUL rods, a REV 1.5 SUL or a REV 1.5 B series
Do you want to fly strong winds? You could vent your present 1.5, buy a 1.5 vented or a Rev 1.5 B series vented.
Do you want to fly indoors? Go for a REV 1.5 NoWind or a bit heavier Rev 1.5 SUL.
Do you want a traction(power) REV? Now you are into the BLAST series
Do you want radical flying? Go for a Speed series, REV II or a REV 1.5 SLE
Do you want precision? Go for a REV I, a REV 1.5 B Series or a REV 1.5 SUL.
And there are other things to think about.

Last and often the most important is the pocket book.
If you got the money, buy all the models. If not you will have to be selective and prioritize what you buy.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Go for the REV II, get some Ultra Light rods for it. I have 7 REV IIs and love everyone of them. Take it to a high wind place and while every one else is being dragged down the beach the REV II barely pulls!

If you own a 1.5 already get a REV II.

There is nothing slow about a Blast! Except set up! ;)

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

get a vented super sonic too they are real fun
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

I really appreciate how quickly and thoroughly you all responded to my request. Thank you.
You have shared some great food for thought.

It seems like the majority of you have recommended either a Baressi 1.5 or a Rev 2.

Some other tidbits that may help you advise me:
-I don't fly indoors
-I don't fly in high winds

Is there anyone else out there with an opinion on this topic?

#9 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hi Jex

If I could only have 2 kites would be the 2 B's. Would have everything. Solid and vented 1.5, exellent graphics, exellent sail design. 3 sets of frames, pigtail handles and weights. Plus a neat DVD with exellent tips from John, including flying in water, yes I did say IN.

If only you had bought a B for your first kite I would say get the vented as your second. Now you will have to have the standard 1.5, a B and a B,V.

Then you can lend the 1.5 to anyone who wants to try Revs.

Thanks for the advise. I like the idea of using my other 1.5 (assuming I get the Baressi version) for friends who want to try it.

#10 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

I have only a 1.5 an an Indoor, but I have flown almost every thing else. Since you like the speed of the 1.5, I wouldn't suggest the Blast. It seems to me that your best choice out of those would be a 1.5 B.

Obviously you have looked all these kites up. Good job on your reserch!

Thanks for the tip - I was wondering about the Blast because I was told it flies in lower wind conditions and is fast like the 1.5. It sounds like it is actually slower...thanks!

#11 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

The response time is a little slower.

It sort of..... uhhh..... laggs (Video game nerd coming through there)

Spence "Watty" Watson

#12 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

The response time is a little slower.

It sort of..... uhhh..... laggs (Video game nerd coming through there)

If it lags then its because you don't have enough wind and it is actually floating...

My blast, in the right wind can do circles around a 1.5. But in the low wind it floats out. It is no where near as accurate as a 1.5 in precision, or else I am just not that good with it. The best fast and precise kite is the REV II, then the Supersonic Vented. Beware the twitchiness of a REV II, and beware the speed floating of the Supersonic vented. The inputs have to be so quick that sometimes they are turned into sloppy handling. If you are fast enough you can see the kite respond just like a REV 1.5. Unfortunately your arms fall off before you can master the quickness required so precision suffers... I am rambling again! :)

I suggest you grab someone who has these models and test them out if you are that hesitant. Most people who get the fast ones give up the precision piece. People who love precision keep to the 1.5 and Is. Trying to mix the two you almost never get the best of both worlds, I compromise with a REV II.

#13 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

Jex ,
I had my 1.5 SLE for almost 2 years and loved every minute of it. Then went thru what you are going thru now. I got the Blast. I feel that I made a big mistake. The kite is just too much work to fly for me. That was 2004 and I have only had it out of the bag half a dozen times. I just never enjoyed flying it like the 1.5. This year I got the 1.5 vented and love it even more. It is windy on the east coast of Fla. most afternoons but I am not sure the winds where you are would warrant that investment you said"-I don't fly in high winds". I just bought a 1.5 SUL which should be delivered tomorrow. Although I have not had it in the air yet I have yet to hear a bad word about the SULs. I am sure I will get tons of fly time in the mornings. Frankly I feel that I have been spoiled with the 1.5s. Because it is so different from the Rev you have, I would advise you to fly a Blast before you purchase one.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#14 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:10 PM

If it lags then its because you don't have enough wind and it is actually floating...

My blast, in the right wind can do circles around a 1.5. But in the low wind it floats out. It is no where near as accurate as a 1.5 in precision, or else I am just not that good with it. The best fast and precise kite is the REV II, then the Supersonic Vented. Beware the twitchiness of a REV II, and beware the speed floating of the Supersonic vented. The inputs have to be so quick that sometimes they are turned into sloppy handling. If you are fast enough you can see the kite respond just like a REV 1.5. Unfortunately your arms fall off before you can master the quickness required so precision suffers... I am rambling again! :)

I suggest you grab someone who has these models and test them out if you are that hesitant. Most people who get the fast ones give up the precision piece. People who love precision keep to the 1.5 and Is. Trying to mix the two you almost never get the best of both worlds, I compromise with a REV II.

That is a good suggestion. There is a kite club meeting that I plan on attending in a week or so in a city near me. I believe I could try a Blast and a Rev 2 at that time. Thank you for your response.

#15 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

Jex ,
I had my 1.5 SLE for almost 2 years and loved every minute of it. Then went thru what you are going thru now. I got the Blast. I feel that I made a big mistake. The kite is just too much work to fly for me. That was 2004 and I have only had it out of the bag half a dozen times. I just never enjoyed flying it like the 1.5. This year I got the 1.5 vented and love it even more. It is windy on the east coast of Fla. most afternoons but I am not sure the winds where you are would warrant that investment you said"-I don't fly in high winds". I just bought a 1.5 SUL which should be delivered tomorrow. Although I have not had it in the air yet I have yet to hear a bad word about the SULs. I am sure I will get tons of fly time in the mornings. Frankly I feel that I have been spoiled with the 1.5s. Because it is so different from the Rev you have, I would advise you to fly a Blast before you purchase one.

I really appreciate your feedback "MrDenny". I will definately try the "Blast" before I purchase one. Have you tried a Rev 1 or a Rev 2 ?

#16 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:30 AM

I really appreciate your feedback "MrDenny". I will definately try the "Blast" before I purchase one. Have you tried a Rev 1 or a Rev 2 ?

No I haven't tried a Rev 1 or a Rev 2, which is why I am not in the market for them. I learned. I got to fly a 1.5 and loved it first time and got the first one that day. The only thing I am willing to buy without trying now is another 1.5. I do wish that there were some rev flyers here so I could try 1s and 2s. I feel like I probably am missing something. It is a shame too as Cocoa Beach is a great place to fly.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#17 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

That must have been it.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#18 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

I had the same experience as Mr. Denny (BTW, I used to live in Merritt Isl). My first Rev was a 1.5SLE, and I wanted something with a wide wind range that I could particularly fly in low winds. I didn't want a 1.5SUL since it was so similar to the 1.5SLE (and didn't know about swapping out rods). I bought the Blast for low wind, and it really wasn't what I needed. I wound up buying a SUL eventually anyway, and don't really fly the Blast very much. For light winds, the 1.5SUL is first out of the bag followed with a Rev II with light wind sticks in it.

I have a pretty fair selection of Rev's, and my opinion is that each has their own personality and each is fun to fly in their own way (yes, even the Blast). My opinion is that you need to decide exactly what type of conditions you want and then pick the Rev that fits it best. You said that you don't fly in high winds. That's too bad, because a vented Rev I, 1.5 or Vented Sonic are a lot of fun in high winds. Sigh. I could talk about each of the conditions, but it would only make my envious about getting out and flying.

Just buy one of each; you'll wind up doing it anyway!!! :lol:

Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#19 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

Just buy one of each; you'll wind up doing it anyway!!!

Or 2 or 3, and have stacks of stacks!!

#20 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

Go for the REV II, get some Ultra Light rods for it. I have 7 REV IIs and love everyone of them. Take it to a high wind place and while every one else is being dragged down the beach the REV II barely pulls!

If you own a 1.5 already get a REV II.

There is nothing slow about a Blast! Except set up! ;)

I got a II this year and love it. I usually get gusty winds when it's strong enough to fly it but when I get the smoother winds, WOW its like my 1.5 but faster. Some days I need the gusts to fly it, then I break out the 1.5. Where can I get the ultra lite rods, and will I need to cut them? How much would a set cost? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users