26 replies to this topic

#21 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

So John,, how much brake do you fly with?

Generally, my top leaders are out by 8" to 9", plus the extra 2" of stretch in most of my top lines.

Bear in mind though, it usually requires a specialized technique to use this extreme of a setting in light to medium wind.

It works VERY well for me, and the teammates I've taught on iQuad... Most folks seem to prefer the 6" to 7" range.

As for holding an upright hover, we use a technique of "teasing" the top lines, either with soft full forward strokes (kite in one place) or using the thumbs or index fingers to put extra tension on the top lines as needed.

No problems with it to speak of, but again, we've developed our own techniques to milk what we feel is the maximum potential performance out of the kite... It takes a little more effort and arm movement, but damn, our kites jump for us on the settings we use. :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

Generally, my top leaders are out by 8" to 9", plus the extra 2" of stretch in most of my top lines.

Bear in mind though, it usually requires a specialized technique to use this extreme of a setting in light to medium wind.

It works VERY well for me, and the teammates I've taught on iQuad... Most folks seem to prefer the 6" to 7" range.

As for holding an upright hover, we use a technique of "teasing" the top lines, either with soft full forward strokes (kite in one place) or using the thumbs or index fingers to put extra tension on the top lines as needed.

No problems with it to speak of, but again, we've developed our own techniques to milk what we feel is the maximum potential performance out of the kite... It takes a little more effort and arm movement, but damn, our kites jump for us on the settings we use. :D

John,

You appear to be describing something that applies to some of iQuad but not others in the team. I know that we have an equivalent situation in the Decs. Moving on the ground or teasing the top lines may be effective but has to operate across the whole team I would have thought.

Felix

#23 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

We all typically fly within 1 knot (3/4") of each other, and we're getting better with full team movement. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#24 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Okay that is a lot.

I've been floating around the 7" mark mostly. Have been to 10", but find that very twitchy. On the bottom I find furtherest knot out works better than the closest knot.

I've seen Cowboy do the top line pull in with his fingers. Usually when he plans to run my kite over!

I have to try that teasing thing. That may help me.

Thanks.

Bart

#25 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

We all typically fly within 1 knot (3/4") of each other, and we're getting better with full team movement. ;)

So Monkey is getting mobile? <grins>

What is your view on 'longer' handles to extend the practical range?

Felix

#26 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

Dean,

I am looking forward to hearing about WSIKF. If it was not for difficult family circumstances I would be very tempted to get on a plane. I will not be at work that week anyway!

Felix

Sounds like you need a mini vacation to help set your mind at ease for a couple of days. I'm sure WSIKF would do the trick. Sneak over for Thursday thru Sunday. ;) It's probably the only way I'll get to meet you face to face. :)

Dean

#27 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

Sounds like you need a mini vacation to help set your mind at ease for a couple of days. I'm sure WSIKF would do the trick. Sneak over for Thursday thru Sunday. It's probably the only way I'll get to meet you face to face.

Dean

It will not happen this year... <grins>

Maybe WSIKF 2009 will lay the groundwork for a future event! I hope so.

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users