Confucius say

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

I learned some valuable lessons today and I thought I would post them as Confucius sayings so that others may learn from them and get a laugh. If you have any lessons you have learned I would love to hear them, so I don't have to learn them the hard way.

Confucius say don't fly at the edge of the wind when the wind is gusty
Confucius say especially over a two line pilot
Confucius say do apoligize to two line pilot
Confucius say a simple tangle can get worse

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

I learned some valuable lessons today and I thought I would post them as Confucius sayings so that others may learn from them and get a laugh. If you have any lessons you have learned I would love to hear them, so I don't have to learn them the hard way.

Confucius say don't fly at the edge of the wind when the wind is gusty
Confucius say especially over a two line pilot
Confucius say do apoligize to two line pilot
Confucius say a simple tangle can get worse

so true

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

There is a reason the OP's username is Sage..........
kairusan

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

How about the saying,

When you are cutting a knock in a bow you have just spent 3 days making, never cut towards you with a knife you have sharpend to a razor edge.

As I was doing it I was thinking to myself, you are going to cut yourself.

You will never guess what happened.

I will just add that it is healing up nicely now, thank you.

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

Hahahahahahaha! :)

I only laugh cuz I've been there myself!

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 Chook

Chook
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

How true!!
If this screwdriver slips off, it will be stopped by the palm of my hand.
STAB. Owwwww!!!!!
I reckon you talk your self into it.
My Dad always says, to tension a bolt correctly "do up the bolt till something breaks and then back it off 1/2 a turn". It's only the last bolt or stud that breaks eh????
It only happens when you don't have a spare handy.
Esperance "The Bay of Isles"
Western Australia

#7 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

It only applies because it's Contfucious but........

Man who go bed with itchy butt, wake wiff stinky finger. ;)

But back on subject...

How did the dual liner take the tangle? Should have (if you didn't) asked, "Whats your problem?!!! I got twice as many lines to deal with. If you'd of zigged instead of zagged we wouldn't be in this mess."
Just kidding, but it sounded funny.

I've been flying a few years. Last time in Portland Rescue Rev just made it to the top of the window with his B when I took of with JB's new Exile. (Dual Line) Great kite. Been looking at one for a while. Well, when I hit just short of the top of the window I ass ended Rescue with JB's new Exile. :blushing: I think I know how you feel. Kinda. I'm pretty good at squeeking outta tough spots. :lol:

So, guess I learned the same lesson you did. Pay attention to where your at and what your flying around. That goes for single string kites too. :P

Dean

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

Not sure about Chinese philosophical lessons for kite flying, but there are a couple of excerpts from the "Kite, model aeroplane and Other Aerial Appliance Flying Regulations Act, Hansard 1956, Volume 43":

"Whenever a flyer shall change their frame from 3 to 4 wraps the wind shall be required to decrease in velocity by 10mph within 4 minutes of the aforementioned act by the aforementioned flyer.

"Should a flyer stake their handles they shall be required, on the recollection of their handles, to mix up which handle should be in which hand. The resulting confusion should give rise to appropriate phrases being uttered on the taking off of the kite such as "Huh?", "Jeess!" and "WTF!!!". "

"Whenever a Revolution Kite (or other such quad line kite not benefiting from a patent application) shall be assembled half of the bridle will be on the front of the kite and half shall be on the back.

"Whenever the flyers shall get together a register shall be taken. Each flyer shall have his or her name read out at which point they should reply present and upon reaching the name of the flyer henceforth known as 'Mr Jones' all should reply 'absent Miss!'."
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#9 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

Not sure about Chinese philosophical lessons for kite flying, but there are a couple of excerpts from the "Kite, model aeroplane and Other Aerial Appliance Flying Regulations Act, Hansard 1956, Volume 43":

"Whenever the flyers shall get together a register shall be taken. Each flyer shall have his or her name read out at which point they should reply present and upon reaching the name of the flyer henceforth known as 'Mr Jones' all should reply 'absent Miss!'."

Careful, I think Jonesey might be getting a little upset by all the references to Portsmouth, mind you i noticed that Darwin wrote a thesis based on Jones, "The Missing Link"

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#10 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Specifically for team flying, Confucious had a saying.

Confucious say: "Right or wrong, he's still the captain"

:lol:
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#11 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Specifically for team flying, Confucious had a saying.

Confucious say: "Right or wrong, he's still the captain"

Team leader says turn right... everyone including team leader actually turn left... Confucious says, 'that's what I meant to say'.

#12 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

Confucius, he say, "Man with hole in pocket, feel cocky all day" :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#13 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

Careful, I think Jonesey might be getting a little upset by all the references to Portsmouth, mind you i noticed that Darwin wrote a thesis based on Jones, "The Missing Link"

Then there's Jonesey's Link. :ani_whistling:

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 03 August 2009 - 05:45 AM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#14 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

But back on subject...

How did the dual liner take the tangle? Should have (if you didn't) asked, "Whats your problem?!!! I got twice as many lines to deal with. If you'd of zigged instead of zagged we wouldn't be in this mess."
Just kidding, but it sounded funny.

It wasn't a tangle he was to my left and I was flying at the edge of the wind. All of sudden the wind stopped and my kit fell out of the sky, if I hadn't been running backwards it would have landed right on his head. He was pretty suprised when my kite slammed down LE first right behind him. He was good natured about it, so no real harm, the entire day was a learning lesson type of day, I had fun and learned a lot of things not to do in gusty wind.

#15 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

"Should a flyer stake their handles they shall be required, on the recollection of their handles, to mix up which handle should be in which hand. The resulting confusion should give rise to appropriate phrases being uttered on the taking off of the kite such as "Huh?", "Jeess!" and "WTF!!!". "

My wife on her first time flying decided she could do it on her own and didn't need my help. So I reluctantly handed her the handles and stepped back. Then my 2 year old son runs off to a group of pretty women, so I chase after him. Then I hear my wife screaming about the kite. It's of course spinning out of control. I get my son and return, she is still flying with wrapped lines.

I tell her no problem and grab the lines and each time I take off the kite goes "crazy". After 2 failed takeoffs I tell her something is broken and I will go check the kite. She then asks me, drum roll please, if it matters if the handles are swapped. Luckily she only swapped them once and the kite was back up in minutes. It was a great afternoon and I look forward to "teaching" her how to fly revolution kites again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users