34 replies to this topic

#1 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Has anyone worked on doing a 1/2 axle or cascade with a rev. If you can axle you should be able to 1/2 axle and if you can 1/2 axle you should be able to cascade. It all has to be timing. I am not talking 1/2 turns but flat 1/2 turns. I might be too old to do this as it seems like you would have to move pretty quick.

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

One handed can sometimes be a challenge but 2 handed is a piece of cake ;)

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Has anyone worked on doing a 1/2 axle or cascade with a rev. If you can axle you should be able to 1/2 axle and if you can 1/2 axle you should be able to cascade. It all has to be timing. I am not talking 1/2 turns but flat 1/2 turns. I might be too old to do this as it seems like you would have to move pretty quick.

If it is what I think you are referring to, I have been working at it. To some extent it does work for me, despite my age.
I'll have to show it to some young lad like Watty, what I am working on. They could probably perfect it with their quick actions.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

If it is what I think you are referring to, I have been working at it. To some extent it does work for me, despite my age.
I'll have to show it to some young lad like Watty, what I am working on. They could probably perfect it with their quick actions.

Rofl.... I'm not as up to date on trick names, so I'd have to see a cascade 1st.. ne 1 got a video?

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

Yes there is a cascade with the Rev. But it's not really a half axle kind of cascade.

Basically you'd axle all the way around (360 flat) but don't let the kite pop back up. As the lower tips face you give a quick tug on the oppisit line as you step forward.
Basically it looks like the kite axles flat and after 360 degrees reverses in direction in the spin. It's up to you how many times it'll go back and forth.

Dean

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Rofl.... I'm not as up to date on trick names, so I'd have to see a cascade 1st.. ne 1 got a video?

Me neither!
No, no videos. I am still experimenting rather inactively for the moment.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#7 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

Me neither!
No, no videos. I am still experimenting rather inactively for the moment.

Even seeing it done on a dual line would help with understanding.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

One handed can sometimes be a challenge but 2 handed is a piece of cake ;)

I come from Missouri! Show Me!

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

Ok, I went to the Tricky Wiki, and found a video for a dual line cascade

I'm gonna have to go work on this :devil:

Spence "Watty" Watson

#10 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

Ok, I went to the Tricky Wiki, and found a video for a dual line cascade

I'm gonna have to go work on this :devil:

Hi Watty, slight problem with performing this with a Quad.

With a dual line you are pop the upper line and slack lower (over axle), where as with a Quad you tend to slack upper and pop lower (under axle).

I used to do trick flying dual line, and had to be un trained this method, it's possible and it does give a really nice flat axle. This is where the weight in the B series really come into there own, as the over axle involves the kite being flat LE flat and away from the flyer. With practice you can get a really nice 540 flat spin with the over axle method.

The under axle method enables a nice Comet style move.

The Over axle from a tip stand into another tip stand is a Coin Toss -

:)

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#11 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

Yes there is a cascade with the Rev. But it's not really a half axle kind of cascade.

Basically you'd axle all the way around (360 flat) but don't let the kite pop back up. As the lower tips face you give a quick tug on the oppisit line as you step forward.
Basically it looks like the kite axles flat and after 360 degrees reverses in direction in the spin. It's up to you how many times it'll go back and forth.

Dean

I was playing with this and I think you are right. I attempted 1/2 axle initiating with the LE vertical and the flatening the kite and then hiting it and then reversing. Kite then to go back to normal position and what did come out of it was unimpressive. Dual line cascade is impressive because you take through both vertical and flat attitudes. Cascading full axles is pretty neat and cool looking.

We need more quad tricks.

John

#12 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

I was told I was doing an axle but not sure I explained what I was doing well. Also I am new to flying revolutions, but here goes:

From the inverted position I would dramatically pull back on the handle I wanted to go up and then return back to the original position. There was never slack in the lines, the kite flipped and returned to the upside down position. What impressed me was the kite didn't lose altitude and the the "trick" could be down over and over again, until the lines became to twisted. I always flipped the kite clockwise.

#13 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:41 PM

I was playing with this and I think you are right. I attempted 1/2 axle initiating with the LE vertical and the flatening the kite and then hiting it and then reversing. Kite then to go back to normal position and what did come out of it was unimpressive. Dual line cascade is impressive because you take through both vertical and flat attitudes. Cascading full axles is pretty neat and cool looking.

We need more quad tricks.

John

Figure out how to get the kite to spin on it's back :devil: Do a falling leaf and get the kite to spin around the lines. Lazy Susan in dual line trickery ;) Or half axle, flic flak to a single vert tip. Figure out how much of a pop along with movement to get say 3 flat axles from just that one initial pop. Consistantly ;)

You figure out the lazy susan please do give me the skinny. Theres a few combos that could come from that one trick. A triple axle from one input is something I still haven't nailed down. Consistancy is the big word here.

Dean

#14 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

It would be very hard to get the lower wing to move backwards and up for the half axel, as the sail is flat.

I'll give you major props for doing it though!

#15 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

It would be very hard to get the lower wing to move backwards and up for the half axel, as the sail is flat.

I'll give you major props for doing it though!

Thats part of the discussion in this thread. We can't half axle as a dual line would.
So as close as we can get with a Rev to a duallie cascade is a full axle and reversing the direction of the spin back and forth without allowing the kite to pop back up. Can you picture what I mean?

When I say something like half axle to flic flak, what I mean is to axle, as the LE comes to face you flic flak. The half in this case is only a discription of how far to let the axle rotate.

I was messing around Friday night at my normal flying spot (9 pm to 2 am with sidewalk lamps for lighting. Really fun!) with I'd say 5 to 8 mph wind. Messing with framing combos. Since I was flying on 30' lines I started out with my Pro std. with a 4 wrap center and 3 wrap outters with 4 wrap verts. Figured I'd see what making it heavy on short lines would trick like. It was ok, but not what I was hoping for.
So I set up my full vent 1.5. And I got to thinking about what JB had told me about his prefered set up of the Zen in Brookings. So my frame choice was a 2 wrap center with Race outters and 3 wrap verts.
Now that was what I wanted.

Sorry for the blog. What I was trying to set up was what happened with the full vent.

It was pulled outta my butt, but something I'm going to keep working on till I get it.

Half axle to flic to half back spin to dive stop half axle to flic flak to one vert tip landing. B)

Dean

#16 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:26 AM

:o

I'll stick with my axel and flic flak clockwork thank you.. hehe

I was thinking the half axel, maybe there is a way to do it where the top wing goes around and drops while the lower wind stays stationary??

Edited by JD, 17 August 2009 - 09:58 AM.

#17 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hi Dean / JD

Can you get some videos of what you are trying so we can see??

Ta

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#18 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

Here is a good tutorial video of the Flic Flack.

I wasn't too fond of his axle execution video though. weren't flat enough. ;) But they should be a perfect flat spin.

Edited by JD, 17 August 2009 - 01:44 PM.

#19 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hi Dean / JD

Can you get some videos of what you are trying so we can see??

Ta

As soon as I come up with a video camera or a camera that can shoot video ;) I have been wanting to get video after watching all ya all that have put vids out there. Would be much easier to show what I'm yakin about than typing it out and being misunderstood or viewed as arrogant.

Dean B)

#20 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

As soon as I come up with a video camera or a camera that can shoot video ;) I have been wanting to get video after watching all ya all that have put vids out there. Would be much easier to show what I'm yakin about than typing it out and being misunderstood or viewed as arrogant.

Dean B)

Hi Dean,

with this being world wide, and skills levels from 1 - 10. I find a video very useful, mind you even then it doesnt give the full story.

But it helps.

I used to Skatebaord years ago and always remembes watching a guy skate vert & was just outrageous, but when I got home and looked at the pictures I was even more amazed, he was doing ollie on a vert wall and flying across with his feet 2 - 3 inches off the board :wacko:

If only we could all get together and fly together

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users