• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

Hi,

What's the wind speed range for the 1.5 SLE vented ? It says 12-25mph but thats only 5mph more than the standard 1.5 SLE ? yet it's vented and the B series vented goes upto 45mph ? I've just got a standard 1.5 SLE and want to add a vented version to my collection but not sure if it's worth it now ;)

Simon.

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:01 AM

If you only own a standard sail
then YES you'll want to acquire a fully vented model and eventually you'll go for the "mid-vent" as well.

Don't worry about what the literature says for a wind range either. You can switch frame members around and with enough experience fly the kite in different areas of the wind window such that you "COULD" fly any of their kites in almost all weather conditions. That doesn't mean it is the best set-up though.

The venting smoothes out gusty wind and reduces the pull so you can fly longer without getting beat-up by the conditions. You may find you want to run an indoor frame in a vented kite so it can take a gust but still fly if the wind drops to nothing (say you were at an inland competition or mega-fly). Likewise I have competed with a full sail and 4 wrap frame in very high winds, so the kite was stuffed-full of pressure and very responsive, but it can survive a sudden surge of power without exploding! Again I am pushing the boundaries and most folks wouldn't consider this as a positive role model example.

The longer you fly, the more in tune with your equipment you will become. Right now all my kites run only race frame leading edges and I switch out the sails to match the current conditions. Indoor, SUL, standard, mid-vent, full-vent and the waffle-weave mesh. I prefer a polyester sail, use different bridles, use handles most consider as way too long, no sleeving, tuning leaders only on the bottoms of my handles. The point I'm trying to make is there is no one correct answer. Experiment around and see what you like best. I am willing to bet if you are having fun with the first REV you will own more of them. Many of us only carry our Rev bags and the rest of our kiting acquisitions are at home someplace!

#3 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

Hi,

What's the wind speed range for the 1.5 SLE vented ? It says 12-25mph but thats only 5mph more than the standard 1.5 SLE ? yet it's vented and the B series vented goes upto 45mph ? I've just got a standard 1.5 SLE and want to add a vented version to my collection but not sure if it's worth it now ;)

Simon.

I love it when RevFlyer starts talking about equipment ... he gets so emotional!!!

Let me try and answer your question as it relates only to the sail:

Even though the literature says a full-vent B-series can handle winds up to 45 mph, the fun factor will have fallen off well before then ... approximately greater than 25 mph. So, an SLE or a B-series full-vented sail can be assumed to "handle" the same wind range. Buy which ever one excites you.

The full-vent kite will greatly reduce the pull and the twitchiness when the winds are high and/or gusty ... a common switch over range is 10 ~ 15 mph. Thus, the addition of a full-vent sail will greatly increase the wind range where you will consider it fun to fly. If you enjoy flying your REV, do add a full-vent sail to your kite bag.

Cheers,
Tom

#4 ssm1nw

ssm1nw

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

You will find a vented sail will be so much smoother to fly as well, a lot less twitchy.
When the wind picks up it makes it so much easier to stay in control and fly where you want to.

#5 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:38 AM

Hi,

Simon.

As others have said, yes, the Vented is well worth it. I have both the 1.5 SLE Standard and Vented, and do not fly the Standard now in winds above 15mph if I can help it. It gets too twitchy and I have to worry about sudden gusts stretching out the sail. Not so with the Vented, which I've taken up to about 30mph with no problems.

Also, the official numbers have been revised somewhat. Rev's 2009 brochure gives the 1.5 SLE Vented's wind range as 10-25+mph, suggesting it can go higher than 25 without damage (which it definitely can). They also state regarding the B-Series Vented something like, if you have the right skill and frame combination, you can go out in winds exceeding 40mph, but it's not recommended. I find that statement to be pretty accurate based on experience---prevailing winds above 30 (which generally come with much higher gusts) are definitely possible with a Vented 1.5-style Rev provided you use a suitable frameset, lineset, and are good at handling sudden big gusts. But even standing around in 40+mph wind isn't terribly fun, let alone trying to fly a kite in that kind of wind. And even if you do, it's going to be a lot like ultra-low wind flying (below 3mph)---technically, you will be flying the kite, but you're going to have to do a fair bit of work and be very vigilant to keep everything together.

Edited by kairusan, 22 July 2009 - 07:41 AM.

kairusan

#6 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

This thread is very timely for me given I have just ordered a 1.5 SLE vented (with the standard frame). I'm really looking forward to trying it out in windy conditions but I don't think I'll still be flying once the breeze hits 40+....LOL
Everything Changes

#7 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

In a word,
Yes.
In a few more words, by way of an explanation. I have used this analogy many times before but I make no apology for that because I believe it to be true. You wouldn’t expect to play a full round of golf with one club, so why would you expect to be able to take this Rev flying lark seriously with just one kite. Just as a golfer needs a variety of clubs for different shots, a serious Rev flyer will have a selection of kites to cope with different conditions.

Don’t pay too much attention quoted wind ranges, I think you have to look on them as an indication of what is considered possible, not what is pleasurable and let’s be honest we fly these things, for the pleasure. You have already noticed that there is a considerable overlap in the quoted ranges for the std and vented, as there is between std and the sul (Super Ultralight). The point at which kite changes are made is very much a matter of flying style and personal choice and personal choice will change as you skill and experience increase.

A vented 1.5 will be the second best Rev investment you ever make. Like you, I started with a full sail sle that was shortly followed up with a second hand vented sail (now passed on passed on to a needy student). I am now the proud owner of a full matched set of 1.5s and a super vented exp for when it gets a bit draffy. Of all my Revs, I think the vented kite has had the most airtime. All are getting a little long in the tooth now and have given me hours of pleasure and believe me, none of them owe me a penny, but the vented has been the first to require serious repair, an indication of the use it has had.

I said “second best Rev investment” because the first has to be the best, without it there could be no others.

Enjoy :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#8 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thanks all :)

Guess what I'll be ordering tomorrow :ani_whistling:

Simon.

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

A dual line?

*chortle*

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#10 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:29 AM

Or mabe,

Posted Image
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#11 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

You wouldn't expect to play a full round of golf with one club,

I disagree, my father has a club that has an adjustable head. He would play golf with only that one club, while all his buddies carried around a bag full. I think his was a AC 111

Posted Image
Read More

as for Revs I have 3-1.5s and a Rev II

Edited by kiteking, 23 July 2009 - 07:37 AM.

Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#12 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

This colour Posted Image but vented. B)

Going to have to get myself a Rev kite bag next. :P

Simon.

#13 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

If you get the chance someday, I'd suggest trying to fly in 30 to 40 mph winds.
I gave it a whirl at the Long Beach Clinic. 36 mph with gusts. I'm sure the wind puffed a little over 40 a couple of times. I'm NOT a power kiter. I prefer light wind. But for the 3 or so hours I was out there flying, all by myself, in rain, hail and clumps of wet sand I had more fun than I thought I would have.

Just double up the LE along with 150's and your in for a good time. ;)

Dean

#14 stevet

stevet
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

This colour Posted Image but vented. B)

Going to have to get myself a Rev kite bag next. :P

Simon.

You will really like your REV kite bag I just got one a month ago, Money well spent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users