Photo

Silver Bullet rods for me?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Silver Bullet Rods - enough of a difference? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Would an amateur like me appreciate silver bullet rods?

1. Yes (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. No (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

The time to decide is now. Soon my pro will be shipped. Do I take the opportunity to have Silver Bullet rods included or just stick with the 2, 3, 4 and RR I already have?

Would I appreciate the subtle differences in my flying or are they a waste of money at this stage and level of my skills?

Bart

#2 Albroswift

Albroswift

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

The time to decide is now. Soon my pro will be shipped. Do I take the opportunity to have Silver Bullet rods included or just stick with the 2, 3, 4 and RR I already have?

Would I appreciate the subtle differences in my flying or are they a waste of money at this stage and level of my skills?

Bart

I could set you up with some 4 wrap SLE tomato stakes!

#3 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

its a no brainer bart :blink: :blink: ... Silver Bullets , then you have got pretty much everything you need to fly in any wind
terry w
Posted Image

#4 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

Kites don't fly unless they have silver bullets :P

#5 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

What I would like to know is, even if an 'amateur like you' would benefit from them ... where would you buy them from?? don't see them listed on any web sites, Rev or traders?? maybe they just aren't meant fro mere mortals ;)

#6 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

Like im Jason of the Argonauts...lol

Right Place,Right Time i soppose for me and then thers the Ben factor.

Pitty ,i would gladly let them out for a try ,the lads Luv um up here when they have flown with them.

BRIAN,,,,now whers that Golden Fleece.

#7 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:28 AM

Well, the ovewhelming response is no so I'll go with that. I'd have liked a bit more explaination for the votes, but that's how things go.

Thanks.

Bart

#8 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

Bart.........
As a flyer improves over time and sees for themselves what differences he or she feels in each set up they choose, that person is the only one that can decide if the difference is "subtle enough" or not to make the change.
I know there are not a great amount of Rev flyers in your area to let you try their SBs out, and since it appears you already have each of the other frame sets already, why not get a set of SBs to try?

I also have enough frame sets of all types so when I got my last kite I had it shipped with SBs. However, I was so sold on race rods as my default, go to frame, I immediately switched out the new kite to race rods. Fast forward 3 months to last weekend when the wind at NJSKC was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. I put the SB leading edge in my full vent and had at it. Scott Weider had also made the same frame choice for his kite that day and we were both WOWED! In fact, I'm in the process of getting another SB LE for my vented eyes as I feel that kite for sure will benefit from that type of frame.

Yes the differences between the race frame and the SB frame are subtle (IMHO) but recognizable immediately. I like the race frame for it's lightness and flexibility which is why I default to it all the time. The silver bullets, I found, are equally light weight and flexible BUT offer some added stiffness at the center of the LE which tended to even out the low/high end of the variable wind window that I was experienceing that day.

Ben happened to be there with us that day and as I had said in a different post on the same topic, he just grinned that "knowing" grin of his.
I'm not sure why more people aren't flying on them or for that matter what the experiences of those who are, have been. I will say as I did at the top of this post that a person's individual mileage may vary but having said that, if you are already in possession of all the other frame sets, then it might make sense to get them and give em a go. And by all means, post about your results!

Hope this helps!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#9 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

Well, the ovewhelming response is no so I'll go with that. I'd have liked a bit more explaination for the votes, but that's how things go.

Thanks.

Bart

No, :wacko: .Cant see any Nos

Yes, :wub: :) B) .Rich hits the Mark in his post i think.Slightly more stiffness in the Centre.Depends if thats what YOU want Bart.

Have a great weekend all

BRIAN...

#10 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

IMO, the Silver Bullets are a "niche" spar...

They deliver a unique and subtle difference in handling, due to the added flex in the outer 1/3 of the leading edge.

Most of all, I think it might enhance spins, axels and tight turns as the leading edge curves down near the wing tips, in flight or under torque.

Myself, I prefer a more even curve from tip to tip (i.e. regular spars), this handles much more precisely and reliably for me.

Many people will like the SB spars I'm sure, but I figured I'd share my personal experience. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users