Rev 1 repair plz help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrsfincher

chrsfincher
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have a Rev 1. it got a tear in the mesh at the top of the kite is there anyway to repair it. i thought about just laying it on some wax paper and using some super glue but i dont want to mess some thing up. it was my first rev. i got it when i was 13 im 21 now so it has been around for a while. i just dont want the tear to spread.

#2 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

I have a Rev 1. it got a tear in the mesh at the top of the kite is there anyway to repair it. i thought about just laying it on some wax paper and using some super glue but i dont want to mess some thing up. it was my first rev. i got it when i was 13 im 21 now so it has been around for a while. i just dont want the tear to spread.

I'm not sure about this but i've seen screen repair kits for tents I cant see why they wouldnt work.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

I have the same problem with an early Rev 1, I am afraid I just dont fly it any more, it has been retired.

However there have been a couple of threaads asking about this problem.

One answer was to use zig zag stitching repeatedly along the tear to heal it.

You could try tedlar repair tape.

My idea was to get some material similar to the leading edge and then sew it in to cover that part of the mesh that was torn. you would then have to repeat it on the other side to "balence" the kite.

The tear in mine is over 6" long, in the area where it folds when you put it away.

#4 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

You can use insignia tape for that which is pretty much leading edge material with a really sticks backside (no jokes from england on that) the more it bakes in the sun the more it sticks.

You can find it at most kite builder sites it comes in a few different widths and you can buy it by the yard (3ft) I dont have any sites off hand its on my other comp try kitebuilder.com I believe they have it.

After you put it on (i would do both sides) just burnish out the air with something smooth and round (again hush my british friends) the stuff works great.

EDIT: adding links

Goodwinds - Insignia Tape

Gone with the wind - Insignia Tape

just a few you can g00gle it and maybe find some place close to you that has it most boat places carry it (at a price)

Edited by FortFlyer, 20 July 2009 - 10:19 PM.

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users