poor build quality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bake

bake
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Today I am a little bitter, my son had been flying my SLE so I thought it would be best to buy him a EXP to learn on. Because he has been with me so much flying my kite I let him set his up for the first time.

Right out of the bag the lines were not the same length, nothing I couldn't deal with in the field so I got them close. The kite flew poorly so I looked it over closer and one flying line on the bridle was tied to it's brake line. Weird.... but I fixed that too.

Now he had it flying in a pretty good wind but not over the kites limits and a outbord leading edge spar snapped.... I looked it over and swapped out with a top spar, 2 minutes later it snapped.

So I take out the leading edge spars and notice a ferrel was not glued in properly from the factory and had slipped inboard in.... leaving only 1/4" for the outboard rod to grip. No wonder they were breaking. Don't these things go through quality control? Now I have to buy 2 rods to get him flying and I am not convinced the bridle is done right. What a dissapointing experience.
What could possibly go wrong?

#2 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you may have had a bit of bad Luck.

Personally,i would contact the Retailer First, asap.

On another note.
I would always check new lines and equalise them.Ive had a few sets that have been unequal,its unfortunetly quite common.They havent been from Revolution btw.

I always,always ,check ferrules on ANY new kite.Its part of my Kit check through bad experiences of them slipping and breaking spars.Regular checking is a good practice on going.They do wear loose.Again its dissapointing,but happens ive found on SLKs,Dualine

The bridle is easy to check.Take a picture and post it or compare it to another kites bridle.

Please let us know how you get on.Your in a good place for Help.Revolution are a Family company.

All The Best,

BRIAN...

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

your fellow REV pilots will come to your aid!

The ferule can be saved if,
there's anything to grab onto.

Simply pull it out, clean it off with a nail file, at least any rough edges. Take a stiff pipe cleaner and some isopropl alcohol and scrub out the interior of the spar. Place a layer of electrical tape as a stopper around the ferule, so when you re-insert it doesn't go in too far. Mix up a significant batch of 2 part five minute epoxy. A good solid tablespoon full, mix it well and be mindful of the proper proportions. Coat the ferule lightly with a single bead (or thin rule) up the length and then twist it into position. Hold it in place until set-up with another piece of electrical tape, otherwise the compressed air pressure inside the tube could change the positioning.

You can buy replacement sticks from Rev direct, . . . call Lolly or Ben.

You could substitute Skyshark Tubes if you have access to a dremel or a fine toothed jeweler's hack-saw (they can be purchased as blemished tubes for "dirt cheap", but need to be cut-down to size for a proper fit. 3P Tapers are most excellent as down spars. Lots of builders and even commercial enterprises use the SS straight tubes as well.)

Send me a private E-message with your address and I'll mail you a replacement bridle FREE. Bridles are something I know very well and I can feel your frustration. There are a couple of different choices, .... factory stocker, 1point6 and the French Bridle, high wind or low versions.

We have all gone though the same stages, don't give up,... it's only a minor delay, we will get you back into the air with your son very soon!

#4 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

RevFlyer is a good guy...I'll vouch for him.......send him your address :)

next, if you e-mail your address to me, I'll send you those sticks for the LE.

:)

Theresa

Edited by Theresa, 21 July 2009 - 05:40 AM.

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

@ Bake

It certainly looks like you have bought a “Friday afternoon Rev”, and it is lucky for Revolution that it found it’s way to the hands of someone who had the knowledge and experience to identify the problems and sort them out. If it had found its way to a total novice, as many EXPs do, with no experienced mates to help it could have been a very different story and I suspect one less repeat customer for Revolution.

I do sympathise with both your and your son’s disappointment but I do think you have gone about this the wrong way by making your complaint so publicly. I’m sure if you had contacted either your dealer or Revolution, privately this would have all been sorted out for you. If a friend offends me I tell him and give him the opportunity to put things right, I don’t post it on the internet for the whole word to see.

edited for spelling.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 21 July 2009 - 09:55 AM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

Today I am a little bitter, my son had been flying my SLE so I thought it would be best to buy him a EXP to learn on. Because he has been with me so much flying my kite I let him set his up for the first time.

Right out of the bag the lines were not the same length, nothing I couldn't deal with in the field so I got them close. The kite flew poorly so I looked it over closer and one flying line on the bridle was tied to it's brake line. Weird.... but I fixed that too.

Now he had it flying in a pretty good wind but not over the kites limits and a outbord leading edge spar snapped.... I looked it over and swapped out with a top spar, 2 minutes later it snapped.

So I take out the leading edge spars and notice a ferrel was not glued in properly from the factory and had slipped inboard in.... leaving only 1/4" for the outboard rod to grip. No wonder they were breaking. Don't these things go through quality control? Now I have to buy 2 rods to get him flying and I am not convinced the bridle is done right. What a dissapointing experience.

Well we have a problem, now on to the fix.... How can I make this right no excuses or anything but things happen now lets
get the problem fixed.... This is Ben either call me 619-750-8770 or email me at beachbeach13@yahoo.com and tell me how to
make things right..... Ben

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

For what it's worth, you're in the miniority on this one...

You can only make so many hundreds of kites before a spot of glue is missed or doesn't cure right. ;)

As mentioned though, Rev support is top notch, Ben will sort you out.

A good store will happily assist customers post-sale as well.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 bake

bake
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have been to busy to reply to this post but... thanks to all who stepped up, there are a few here who had not made a penny off the transaction and were willing to help out.... real class.

Ben when I get a few minutes I will send a email your way, thanks for standing behind your product.
What could possibly go wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users