Broke my Rev on my first outing. What was i thinking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Topdog112

Topdog112
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi i just got my first rev. A JB 1.5 without vents. I really don't know what i was doing today, I took it out, it was finally a windy day and after about 2 hours of trying to get the basics, i snapped a spar and end plug.. Now the kite is out of action, Any ideas on how to proceed, I am not sure if it snapped because of the wind or me driving it continuously in the ground. Should i be learning on a differenting more study rev?

Thks, This is my first post by the way! :)

#2 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

Welcome Topdog! Sounds like you may have not have been using a heavy enough spar set for the wind conditions and possibly your learning curve. What kind of winds were you flying in? Any idea what the mph was???

Three great resources to replace your parts easily are:
http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/
http://www.awindofchange.com/
http://www.midwestkites.com/

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Replacing a spar should be $20 or so (maybe less), and take about 90 seconds to actually change out.

I'd concur, sounds like the wind may have just been too high.

If the kite really starts pulling or flexing a lot, might be time to use two leading edges or a vented kite, even both in extremely high winds... Heavier weight line can help too, 150lb instead of 90lb. ;)

Everyone here will likely agree, spar breakage is pretty rare unless you don't have the right equipment or hover ability in higher winds.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

Everyone here will likely agree, spar breakage is pretty rare unless you don't have the right equipment or hover ability in higher winds.

Or if your name is Sammy and you're flying with a guy whose initials are BAD. :devil:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#5 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

HAHAHA dont make me laugh rich!
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#6 Windbag

Windbag

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hi i just got my first rev. A JB 1.5 without vents. I really don't know what i was doing today, I took it out, it was finally a windy day and after about 2 hours of trying to get the basics, i snapped a spar and end plug.. Now the kite is out of action, Any ideas on how to proceed, I am not sure if it snapped because of the wind or me driving it continuously in the ground. Should i be learning on a differenting more study rev?

Thks, This is my first post by the way! :)

Topdog, welcome to Revs & learning to fly without crashing.

The JB 1.5 comes with two sets of spars. A two wrap & three wrap set so you have an extra set of spars & can fly until you get replacement parts. Use the 2 wraps in lower winds & 3 wraps in higher winds as they are stronger. But, what is the end plug you referenced above? Is it one of the end caps the spars fit into? If one of them got destroyed somehow you need more parts before you can fly again.

My standard 1.5 B flies fine up to about 15 MPH although it gets twitchy above 10 MPH. As you get into 10+ MPH winds you should move the top lines out to about the last knot on the leader. This will give you more brake, slow the kite down & make it so it doesn't pull so hard.

Hey, are there any other Rev fliers in your area that might help with tips on learning to fly? Good luck getting back in operation.

B)
Have fun, Ray.

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

Topdog,

Just stop in to your local shop and they should be able to get you back in the air pretty quickly. The rods and end caps are very common and if the shop doesn't have them separetly they should be able to rob one out of another kite for ya, the end caps are all the same on every Rev and the rod you need is the same rod used in the EXP, 1.5 SLE and the B-Series kites. The EXP uses the 3 wrap rods, the 1.5 SLE uses the same 3 wrap rod on the verticals and of course, the B-series like what you have.

If for some reason your local kite shop can't take care of you, you could give us a call, we have all parts in stock.

Revolution B-Series Replacement Parts Link

#8 Topdog112

Topdog112
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

Thank you all for your words of advise. I managed to get some parts, hopefully i will be back in the air by the weekend.
I have another question, How different is the kite to fly if i fit the SLE instead of the the 2 wraps, I was just wondering because apparently, there is less chance of me causing damage to the leading edge if i have the SLE, Thanks.

#9 kitelover

kitelover
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:10 AM

There would be quite a difference between the SLE and the 2 wrap. The 2 wrap is lighter and more flexible, meant for light winds. It might work up to about 10 mph, if flown carefully (no crashes).
The SLE is a stiffer and heavier 1/2" dia. rod, they are stronger but can break. I use the SLE for standard and vented Revs. Alot of people prefer the flex and sail cupping with the 1/4" rods. The SLE should fit in your leading edge. The end caps would go inside instead of outside. Just be sure they have the rubber rings on the outside to prevent the spar from rubbing and cutting the bridle. I think it's the best rod for learning.
If you stick with the 2 & 3 wrap frames, use the 2 wrap for the lightest wind, switch to the 3 wrap as soon as you can and double them up in strong wind.
Breakage is guaranteed if a ferrule comes unglued and slips into the rod only gripping the other by a 1/2" or so. Something to check once in awhile.

#10 Topdog112

Topdog112
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

Great, finally get the rev back into the sky. Didn't crash as often. Now just finding it difficult to adjust to the gusty winds in london.

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Presuming you are in London UK try to get to Blackheath on a Sunday.

Might be worth putting a post up to ask if anyone will be there when it is good for you.

I have flown there a couple of times, however there are a few regulars who I am sure would be only too happy to help you with advice and stuff.

Welcme to the addiction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users