Help me set up my Rev T300 Pro Series

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 holdav

holdav
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

I received a Revolution T300 pro Series free. It looks just like new almost like it has never been flown.
It came with no manuals so what I need to know is most all,
Are the short line top or bottom? The handles look like the foam ends go to the top right?
Any help would be great.
Thanks, Dave

#2 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

I am fairly new to flying rev kites, others will respond with links to the manuals and such but my recommendation is to find a local REV flyer before venturing out into the unknown. Also depending upon the type of kite you may never be able to fly it without learning on a more stable kite. The T300 Pro series might be like trying to learn how to ride a motorcycle on a turbo 500 HP busa. Possible but not likely without serious injury.

#3 holdav

holdav
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

I am fairly new to flying rev kites, others will respond with links to the manuals and such but my recommendation is to find a local REV flyer before venturing out into the unknown. Also depending upon the type of kite you may never be able to fly it without learning on a more stable kite. The T300 Pro series might be like trying to learn how to ride a motorcycle on a turbo 500 HP busa. Possible but not likely without serious injury.

Hey thanks for the reply, I have been flying for along time. I hope that there will be no real bad injury..
Lots of 2 line kites.Wish me luck.

#4 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

I received a Revolution T300 pro Series free. It looks just like new almost like it has never been flown.
Are the short line top or bottom? The handles look like the foam ends go to the top right?
Any help would be great.
Thanks, Dave

Can we see some photos of your Rev kit, Dave? All four of your lines should be the same length with red sleeved lines on top and black sleeved lines on the bottoms. The foam should gripped at the topmost end. Not to worry, you'll get LOADS of advice here and welcome!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

Any help would be great.
Thanks, Dave

The T300 is actually the Revolution I. The T300 stands for the graphite material that the rods are made of. I think T300 comes from Toray.
If you have lines of different length, they should have white sleeving on two lines and black sleeving on the other two lines. I don't recall which set is shorter but I do remember that the white lines are on top and the black lines are on the bottom. The rubber grip on the handle is the top of the of the handle. Attach the white lines there and the other end of the white lines to the top bridle connectors on the REV. The two black lines go to the bottom of the handles and the lower bridle connectors on the REV.
The two vertical rods on the REV go on the back side of the REV, not the front.
Now go to the Revolution WEB site and check out some of the videos before you go flying so you understand something about how the REV flies. Look under Techniques. Unfortunately none of those videos show you the basics. They are a bit more advanced. You can also look at:
Better yet is to find someone locally that already flies a REV and pick up basic tips from them.
You could also contact your local kite shop and see if they will provide you a Revolution video in some way or the other.
Good Luck and have a great time.
You might also be able to find someone willing to make you a good deal on your new(old) REV I, thus you could might be able to buy an easier to fly REV 1.5. Those old REV I's, if new, could be interesting to some REVOLUTION fanatics.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Dave, where do you fly?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

About 15 years back I wrote an article for a Kite Magazine(now defunct) in Germany concerning learning to fly a 4 line kite.
The English version of the article is still on-line at: http://www.multinet....n/rev_art1.html
A lot of what is in the article is applicable today.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

Are there clips on the lines like the ends of fishing leaders ??? if so you may want to do some modification because there is no real way to adjust the settings (that's an old school Rev) best thing is to is find someone that has a little more then basic knowledge of Revs to help you equalize the lines and make a 4" pigtail for the top end of your bridle to replace those swivels and also put some on your handles to get rid of those clips (if that's what it has)

Until then the shorter lines go on the bottom and the longer lines go on the top (most likely to barrel swivels) Just be careful as there is no real way to adjust the brake on that setup aside from sliding your hands up and down the handles.

Hope that makes a little sense, let us know how its setup or if possible a picture (of kite line and handles) says a thousand words.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

If by chance you are getting new lines for this kite, the lineset you will get will have all four lines equalized (the same length). This will make it nearly impossible to get the T300 to fly correctly as that kite was designed to have two different length pairs of lines.

Two things you can do, one is to make two sets of long pigtails and tie a bunch of adjustable knots on them and attach them to your handles. From there you can adjust the tops and bottom lines to get the kite to fly correctly. You will probably end up moving the bottom lines in a bunch - appx. 4-5 inches from the top lines and leaving the top lines on the furthest knot out.

Another option if you want to bring the kite up to the present is to purchase a replacement Rev 1 bridle. The bridle is very easy to swap out on the kite and should only take about 2-3 minutes to do. Just remove the entire old bridle and put the new one on. This will get rid of those awful heavy swivel clips on the top bridle and also make it so you can use an equal lineset with the kite. I think it also makes the kite fly better too. The kite you have i the exact same size/dimension as the current production Rev 1's so it is a very nice kite and somewhat of a collection piece as well.

Factory replacement bridles are usually under $15.00 to purchase and are completely pre-tied so all you have to do is larks-head them onto the kite.

Hope that helps.

#10 holdav

holdav
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:01 AM

If by chance you are getting new lines for this kite, the lineset you will get will have all four lines equalized (the same length). This will make it nearly impossible to get the T300 to fly correctly as that kite was designed to have two different length pairs of lines.

Two things you can do, one is to make two sets of long pigtails and tie a bunch of adjustable knots on them and attach them to your handles. From there you can adjust the tops and bottom lines to get the kite to fly correctly. You will probably end up moving the bottom lines in a bunch - appx. 4-5 inches from the top lines and leaving the top lines on the furthest knot out.

Another option if you want to bring the kite up to the present is to purchase a replacement Rev 1 bridle. The bridle is very easy to swap out on the kite and should only take about 2-3 minutes to do. Just remove the entire old bridle and put the new one on. This will get rid of those awful heavy swivel clips on the top bridle and also make it so you can use an equal lineset with the kite. I think it also makes the kite fly better too. The kite you have i the exact same size/dimension as the current production Rev 1's so it is a very nice kite and somewhat of a collection piece as well.

Factory replacement bridles are usually under $15.00 to purchase and are completely pre-tied so all you have to do is larks-head them onto the kite.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I hope to be flying this weekend with a little help from moter nature.
Living in Michigan (the east side) the winds are not the greatest.

#11 holdav

holdav
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

Are there clips on the lines like the ends of fishing leaders ??? if so you may want to do some modification because there is no real way to adjust the settings (that's an old school Rev) best thing is to is find someone that has a little more then basic knowledge of Revs to help you equalize the lines and make a 4" pigtail for the top end of your bridle to replace those swivels and also put some on your handles to get rid of those clips (if that's what it has)

Until then the shorter lines go on the bottom and the longer lines go on the top (most likely to barrel swivels) Just be careful as there is no real way to adjust the brake on that setup aside from sliding your hands up and down the handles.

Hope that makes a little sense, let us know how its setup or if possible a picture (of kite line and handles) says a thousand words.

Hey there,
The Rev I own is the same kite that JohnMitchell has in hie profile picture.

#12 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hey there,
The Rev I own is the same kite that JohnMitchell has in hie profile picture.

Hi Holdav,

John Mitchell seems to have got the info for you.

Someone else said about metal clips, if you have them, replace with short loops of line and larkshead on as you would on a dual ine bridle

you may notice the line are heavy for the size of kite, when the Rev 1 first came out 150 lbs lines were recommended, since then we've moved to 80 or 90 lbs lines.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#13 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

You'll definitly want some 90# lines. The 150# line with light wind is what kept me from flying my Rev 1 when I got it. Got mine in 95' and didn't start actually flying mine until a little over a year ago. Broke all my dual liners, so I woodled down a set of dual 90's for a 50' quad set. Now I pretty much only fly Rev's.

Dean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users