REV EXP upside down?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

Is the REV EXP a poor kite upside down? The reason is I continue to have stalling issues when flying upward inverted.

I had a great weekend flying this weekend, I flew both days until I was sore about 5 hours total.

#2 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

Is the REV EXP a poor kite upside down? The reason is I continue to have stalling issues when flying upward inverted.

I had a great weekend flying this weekend, I flew both days until I was sore about 5 hours total.

The EXP is a good kite and certainly capable of stable inverted flight. It is more likely to be related to the lines/handle set up and the amount of air time you have on the kite. Reverse flight up the window is one of the harder skills to hone but keep at it.

There are numerous threads on the forum about handle and line set up and I am sure that one of my more technicaly able colleagues here will be able to point us in the right direction.

a quick tip is to try gently walking backwards as you invert fly up the window. This adds a little extra wind speed and should help a little.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:32 AM

Another thing you might add to Stephens advice is, The EXP doesn't come with pigtail adjustments if you haven't modified this already make a few knots on the bottom leader evenly spaced I believe on the ones you have you can put 2 more knots about 1 inch apart.

Bring the bottom lines in closer to the handle this will give you more brake which while increase your reverse and inverted drive without having to bend your wrists like a second elbow, Also when you want to do inverted stuff slide your hands down the handle a little this will also give you a little extra.

Hope that helps a little.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:23 AM

Another thing you might add to Stephens advice is, The EXP doesn't come with pigtail adjustments if you haven't modified this already make a few knots on the bottom leader evenly spaced I believe on the ones you have you can put 2 more knots about 1 inch apart.

I was surprised just how short the leaders were when I got my RevII out to the beach the first time. What I did for a quick fix to add break was to take the top leaders off and put them back on tied so that it was a 2x longer single line vs. the short double. This gave me plenty of room to put in some adjusting knots and by lengthening the top line effectively shorten the break lines(adding break). You can try it and if you don't' like it put it back the way it was in seconds.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

The EXP will fly inverted to the top of the window about as easily as any Rev. Take it slowly. Flying backwards with 1.5 or EXP in any direction can be tricky. Just take it easy. Too much speed in reverse will cause the kite to get wind behind it, then you may become a spectator.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

sage, are you using the adjustable leaders (6"-8" in length) on the top of your handles?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users