9 replies to this topic

#1 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

I've been reading the forum and some like to change rods from one kite to another. But looking at the different REV advertisements there is a difference in the rod lengths. Some are 91 in some 92 and some 93. Is there that little distance that they can be interchanged? Stretch the bungee a little tighter? Plus where do you get magix sticks? If you use the sticks do you use them on all your kites?

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#2 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'm not 100 percent sure but all the 1.5's have interchangeable frames. not sure why the different measurements.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

Those measurements are sail, tip to tip... Not the actual leading edge spar length. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

I've been reading the forum and some like to change rods from one kite to another. But looking at the different REV advertisements there is a difference in the rod lengths. Some are 91 in some 92 and some 93. Is there that little distance that they can be interchanged? Stretch the bungee a little tighter? Plus where do you get magix sticks? If you use the sticks do you use them on all your kites?

Rev advertises the sail (material) leading edge width as "wing span". The rod leading edge lengths are slightly longer (generally about 2 inches with the 1/4 inch frames).

For the 1.5 sail (91 inch wing span) you have two choices for leading edge rod length:

1) 2-, 3-, 4-wrap and race rods are 93 inches long ... all three leading edge tubes are 31 inches long.

2) I don't have SLE leading edge rods( 7/16" ID tubes), so will have to guess from here. Kent lists the length as 92 inches ... if so, then that's two outer tube lengths of 31 inches and a center tube length of 30 inches.

Cheers,
Tom

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

As far as I have been able to determine all of the original Revolution Rev 1.5 1/4"(6.35mm) O.D. rods are the same length plus or minus 1/16"(1.6mm) being 31"(78.75cm).
For some reason, which I have never had explained to me, nor have I ever bothered to ask, the SLE rods have varying lengths on the REV 1.5.
I for example have SLE rods of 30, 30.5 and 31". I am guessing that the rubber grommet on the outside of the end cap has something to do with this.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

... I for example have SLE rods of 30, 30.5 and 31". I am guessing that the rubber grommet on the outside of the end cap has something to do with this.

John,

Okay, I have a friend who has an SLE leading edge and he measured it this evening. His center tube was 31 inches long and the two outer tubes were both 30.25 inches long. Thus, it looks like the center tube is generally 31 inches and the two outer tubes can vary from 30 to 30.5 inches in length.

Does that seem about right?

Cheers,
Tom

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

John,

Okay, I have a friend who has an SLE leading edge and he measured it this evening. His center tube was 31 inches long and the two outer tubes were both 30.25 inches long. Thus, it looks like the center tube is generally 31 inches and the two outer tubes can vary from 30 to 30.5 inches in length.

Does that seem about right?

Cheers,
Tom

It is still a bit mysterious to me. I have a center SLE 3 wrap that is 31.25 and another 4 wrap SLE that is 30.25, not including the ferrule.
The two outer 3 wraps rods are almost equal at 30.125, putting the set at 91.5"
The two outer 4 wraps rods are different at 30.5 and 31.0, putting the set at 91.75"
To compensate for the end cap grommet you need to calculate the difference. The 1/4" rods penetrates 0.875" into the end cap. The SLE rod goes over the end cap .75". This comes out that all three SLE rods together should be 0.25" shorter. The set would 92" or 91.75" depending on which set.
Even then the SLE rods are 1" shorter then the 1/4" rods. I suspect the reasoning might be that SLE rods don't flex much where all the others do.

In conclusion, I don't think it matters that much as you can correct for the difference with the bungees, when and if you use SLE rods.

ciao,
John

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

It is still a bit mysterious to me. ...

ciao,
John

Okay, I've got it now ... SLE rod lengths go into the same category as women ... both are mysteries to most of us.

Cheers & Thanks,
Tom

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

It really depends on the year in which the SLE rods were made, earlier SLE rods varied a little from one batch to the next but all of the current SLE rods are appx. 3/8" shorter than the same 1/4" rods whether it be the center rod or end rods (center rod is measured without the ferules). The SLE rods will be appx. 1 inch shorter over the entire leading edge length compared to the 1/4" rods. So if you are changing from an SLE rod to the 1/4" rods your bungee caps will stretch an extra 1/2 inch longer on each side. Not really a problem at all and can be done very easily and usually without even noticing the rod is a tiny bit longer.

All of the 1/4 inch rods are the exact same length whether it be the verticals or the leading edge rods (center measured without the ferules) (1.5, B-Series and EXP only - other models will obviously be different). If you compare the vertical rods with the SLE rods, the SLE rods will be slightly shorter.

Actual measurements of the leading edge rods when fully assembled (rounded to the nearest inch):
EXP - 93 inches.
1.5 SLE - 92 inches.
B-Series - 93 inches.

Hope that helps.

Edited by awindofchange, 25 June 2009 - 11:01 PM.

#10 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Guys. I knew that with all the knowledge out there I would get a answer. So The next thing is to save up and add a B Vented.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users