Shockwave

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Bump

Mr Bump
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

Hi, I've just purchased a Shockwave second hand and I'm having trouble keeping it in the air.  It climbs and then rotates so that the leading edge is horizontal to the ground and travels towards me and then crashes.  Any suggestions.

#2 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

A couple of things to check first....

Having seen this on a blast the other day, check that both bridle points on the bottom of the kite are fastened all 4 of the rod tips.

Also, check your line lengths to be sure that they are of equal length, both tops and bottoms.

and let me know.   :)
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#3 Mr Bump

Mr Bump
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:30 AM

Hi I've checked those and adjusted the top line length.  It hasn't made any difference and I've broken the top spar.  When I've got hold of another I'll have another go.

Thanks for the suggestion

#4 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

Hi Bump,

I've experienced exactly the same thing with my Shockwave.  I purchased it new and had similar action.  What I did was borrow a "good" Shockwave and closely examine the bridle.  I found some slight irregularities and corrected them.  However, the Shockwave still acted that way occasionally.

A couple of weeks ago I was flying with a friend and mentioned the problem to him.  His response was "take in the brake a notch".  If you don't have adjustments on your handles, let me explain.  I have knots about an inch apart on an extension line on the upper part of my handles (the "gas") and also the lower part (the "brakes").  What my friend was suggesting was that I pull the lower lines in a notch.  I didn't expect it to do anything, but it actually did.  What my Shockwave was experiencing was a little overcontrol on the "gas" side.  Pulling in the lower lines an inch made the kite control much better.  I was amazed!!!

I now will pay much more attention to this balance between "gas" and "brakes".

Hope it helps...
Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#5 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

Your point about brakes is an excellent one. As someone who takes it to the extreme, I now usually fly with the bottom lines about 1/2 an inch from the bottom of the handles. You simply get better control.  "theres no such thing as too much brake"
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#6 Mr Bump

Mr Bump
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:25 AM

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the advice when I've got it fixed I'll give it a try.  The suggestion about tails on the gas and brake line is one I've used with my big kites but never thought of it.

Thanks again
Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users