6 replies to this topic

#1 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:31 AM

have been wondering if weighting the outer spars on the LE of an EXP would make any difference so i tried it today (i'm a fiddler by nature)
I slid some cut to length fibreglass rods into the LE and assembled.
It took off faster than usual and stopped dead far quicker than usual.
Now I don't know if this is related, but the kite seems to hold itself steadier in any hover position. Turns seem sharper and it feels far more responsive in general.
I tried weighting the upright spars, but it became so sluggish i removed them after 10 mins

Anyone else tried anything similar??

totally unrelated...... i'm looking at building a 3piece sail, reduced size Rev-a-like based on a directly minimised scale (50%) Would i get my butt kicked if I added the Revolution logo or should i use a directly similar REVaLIKE logo?? Don't want to upset anyone.

Cheers
Tim
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#2 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

have been wondering if weighting the outer spars on the LE of an EXP would make any difference so i tried it today (i'm a fiddler by nature)

I do not doubt your observations, but it does sound very odd to me, Iím no physicist but I would have expected the extra weight and inertia to have the opposite effect. I would be interested to see what others have to say on this on though.

Now I don't know if this is related, but the kite seems to hold itself steadier in any hover position. Turns seem sharper and it feels far more responsive in general.

I can see logic in that, that is my old friend inertia again, weight (sorry mass, for physicists) in the ends of the l/e, itís the fly wheel effect, it loves the status quo, if itís not moving it holds it there if it is moving it helps to keep it moving. I believe that is why JB includes a weight set in the B series package.

I tried weighting the upright spars, but it became so sluggish i removed them after 10 mins

That does not surprise me at all, those two spars are in effect the kites rudders, any unnecessary weight (sorry mass) there is bound to mess with the handling, itís like the reverse of power assisted steering on a car.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

totally unrelated...... i'm looking at building a 3piece sail, reduced size Rev-a-like based on a directly minimised scale (50%) Would i get my butt kicked if I added the Revolution logo or should i use a directly similar REVaLIKE logo?? Don't want to upset anyone.

Tim, typically a Rev is a Rev, and anything else is a quad line kite... Logo use generally follows suit.

On rare occasion, someone makes a real fine masterpiece and are allowed to add the Rev logo after the kite is reviewed by Rev management.

No substitute for asking Rev about it directly, however. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

Tim.

Regarding the logo.

Do not use Rev logo, or anything like it, its just not right :)

Derek.

#5 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the replies people.
Bob, i will see if i can do a more detailed analysis if anyones interested.

I think the mini Rev-a-like will just be logoless, i suppose it will never be a true Rev
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#6 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

Tim.

Regarding the logo.

Do not use Rev logo, or anything like it, its just not right :)

Derek.

Not to mention potentially infringing on Rev's intellectual property. Best not to open that can of worms, because even if companies are friendly, lawyers are almost always evil.

Edited by kairusan, 21 June 2009 - 10:26 AM.

kairusan

#7 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

I love fiddling too, Tim. Sounds like by adding the fiberglass inserts, you made a pseudo SLE. A bit heavier, and a bit stiffer. A bit faster in flight too, but not quite as precise. As for trying it in the verticals, I bet you made it deader/stiffer. I tend to like softer flexier rods in the verticals as it gives a bit more lift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users