Photo

Windscape Kite Festival (updated with full report)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:36 AM

Going THIS coming weekend (20 and 21). I think I have been in contact with every possible Rev flyer that has a chance of attending.

For the rest of you, send wind and good weather! The forecast for both has went down the tubes. If this could have only been yesterday with that perfect (look at the wind while I sit indoors at work) wind it would have been great!

Bart

Edited by bartman, 23 June 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#2 Hal

Hal
  • Forum Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hi Bart,

Really enjoyed the kite festival. Saturday was fantastic and Sunday wasn't bad for wweather. Thanks for hosting the BBQ. Hope to make it back next year.

#3 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

greetings bart
team island quad thanks you so much for your hospitality and the great spread you put together for your bbq
even though we are new to this game we were treated like rock stars in swift current , it was a wonderful event , incredibly well organized and supported
being able to connect with other better known kiters from canada and the usa was a real thrill.
we hopefully fufilled the organizers expectations , made some new friends, and left the audience smilling
we were able to assemble a 11 kite rev mega fly with the local flyers, the wind jammers and island quad ... heck we even managed a couple of manouvers
not bad for a bunch of rookies flyers ... they all did well ... with some of the instruction we offered it is our hope that it helped kick some of the locals to another level and will make their rev flying that much more enjoyable
remember no whining or crying when you are standing in line team flying :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
we also made a first in kite flying , doing a routine with the windjammers and their stacked dualies was a major buzz and finished off the festival with a bang
we consider ourselves to be really fortunate to have been invited to spend time in swift current
thanks to everyone we met and we will see you next year
terry w
TEAM ISLAND QUAD
Posted Image

#4 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Ditto to Terry's comments and we'll have a bunch of video to share with you all pretty soon :w00t: :w00t:

Stay tuned and Don't change this channel :devil:

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#5 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Thank you Island Quad, awesome flying with you guys. also awesome meeting you all as well. will be making plans for next year very soon, and this time I'll try not to avoid any events ;)

Cowboy
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#6 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

remember no whining or crying when you are standing in line team flying :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Guilty as charged and to punish myself I spent 2 hours this afternoon in a typhoon doing left/right 180s over and over again. I have a lot more to say about just about everything this past weekend, but for now, and until I can put everything I'm feeling into words, I'll say thanks for everything and you guys are rock stars!

Bart

#7 Horn dog

Horn dog
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

Hey Bart,

Thanks for opening your home and charring food & drinks with us and making us feel as much as home as possible.
I also would like to say thanks to Shann Gowan and the team she put together to help make everone who showed up
feel welcomed. For me this was my second year to attend WindScape Kite Festival in Swift Current and oh! yes no matter what you will all see this wolf again next year.

And please don't change Swift Current we love you guys.

Thanks a million

The Wolf
Team Island Quad

Edited by Horn dog, 23 June 2009 - 04:15 PM.

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

So Bart, did you have a chance to learn TONS, like you'd hoped? :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

So Bart, did you have a chance to learn TONS, like you'd hoped? :D

At least two tons worth and still processing all the information.

Bart

#10 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

Well I dont know about Bart but I sure learned alot. And had TONS of fun. It was my wifes first festival and she was amazed. I sure can see why you all attend as many of these as you can.

Pincher Creek festival is still on, although downgraded to a sorta supersized fun fly. also
"kites over collingwood" is also still a go but only one day, but I dont think anyone would mind if we flew a little the next day.

anyway thanks again to everyone who had anything to do with windscape and all the support events.

#11 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

paul
candiice is a natural .. it was great to see her jump into the mega fly and hold her postion ... now work with her on making turns
i really can't wait to see your young son joe on a rev ... he did a cool demo with the foil... nice show for a six year old
keep on having way to much fun ...
terry
Posted Image

#12 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

oh yeah ... where the heck is collingwood ????
terry
Posted Image

#13 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

The weekend in a nutshell.

Friday evening, although not an official day of the festival had the most amazing steady wind I have ever seen for 9:30 pm and Island Quad and the Windjammers were playing around with their stuff while the music festival went on in the background under the tent. I didn't make use of these winds for a night fly and that was a mistake as it was the only evening with any wind. I admit I was a little intimidated to try flying at dusk and into the night with lights with the pros, but I will not let that happen again.

Instead of flying I hooked up with Kitecowboy (Paul) and we arranged a special surprise for his wife Candace the next day.

Saturday Paul and I were there a good two hours early to claim a piece of land for "Team iWobble". The winds were good for Saturday morning, but dimished throughout the day. Temps were high in the 28C range. When Candace arrived an hour later she had to set up her own equipment. We neglected to do it for her. She proceeded to remove a new B-Series purple from the sleeve where another kite had resided the night before. A little puzzlement, a little confusion and a couple tears when she realized the surprise Paul had come up with.

So we flew. The three of us had only shared the same airspace on one other occassion, but we did okay at not doing too much damage to each other. A couple near misses and a couple take-downs, but also a couple rough patterns and kisses so there was improvement from our last attempts.

Of course we also made time to watch Island Quad do their thing which was done very well. We tried to absorb as much as we could watching. Windjammers were also here for the first time ever and were also amazing. I had only seen there stuff via online video and the real thing was incredible. So, this year we were doubly lucky having two fantastic shows to watch.

This is the third year I've attended this event and the Saturday, easily, had the most people I had ever seen at it. There were a ton of kites in the sky and it got to the point where it was hard to have much room to fly for fear of being taken out by someone else. Hopefully next year they extend the field even further to make extra room.

Later in the day Terry and Mario from Island Quad helped Paul and I equalize our lines and Mario gave me some much needed tips on low wind flying. By that time it was low wind so I was able to practice right away. My useful wind window will be opened up a bit more now as a result. I'm still not sold on flying in the extremes however it is nice to have the basic skills for one of them to build on.

That evening I did have a BBQ for Island Quad, Windjammers and any other Rev flyers who happened along. Nothing fancy and I had help from friends and family bringing salads over however I take full responsibily for the burgers... good, bad or charred! The plan was to eat and get back to the field in time for the music festival and night flying, but mother nature said no way to this. Dead calm evening. Some went back to listen to the music anyway and others stuck around until feeling that perhaps it was time for bed if we were going to be at it again all day Sunday.

Sunday was pretty much the opposite of Saturday. There was more wind, but colder (about 15C with a cold wind) and a lot less people as a result. It was unfortunate since the stronger wind made for some of the best performances of the weekend. For the most part other than a bit of damp weather to make for some mud the really bad stuff held off most of the day.

The buggy guys had a better time today and Team iWobble continued wobbling for most of it only stopping for food and to watch the big boys (and girl) fascinate us yet again. The big weekend highlights were yet to come though.

Paul's son, six year old Joe, had is own moment alone at centre stage flying a two line 1 meter foil. No crashes and an astonished crowd. Windjammers have drafted him now. Oh to be a kid with no stage fright, just out flyin' his kite! I think if Paul's t-shirt would have had buttons they would have been popping off!

Mario and Terry floated their Rev's back over to iWobble's space and I got more instructions on hand positions and how to do a 180 turn without bouncing all over the sky. Amazing how all the theory in the world doesn't compare to seeing how it is done first hand and being able to ask questions. I did a true 180 on centre after only 5 minutes. This simple turn had eluded me for months! Terry, Mario and I also did a little follow the leader which was somewhat unnerving for me to see those lines cross over each other, but it was good to ease that fear and see that simple moves do not need to be horrific in scope. What was horrific was yet to come!

By this point the fog was starting to roll in and things were quickly getting damp again. More like wet. Island Quad and Windjammers set up a routine together that featured Revs chasing the tails of the Windjammer stacks and it was a sight! Terry underplayed it in his post. It really was great to watch and easily one of the highlights of the weekend. Both teams were clearly thrilled with the results.

Then we had the best and the worst (in terms of my nerves) unplanned event. The mega-fly. Between Island Quad, Windjammers and us novice wannabes, there were 11 Revs floated onto the main stage. If someone would have told me three years ago when iQuad made their first appearance that this little city would have 11 Revs in a mega-fly I wouldn't have believed it, but here they were sitting on the muddy ground, in the drizzle waiting to spring to life. Let's keep this simple boys!

So we went up, we formed a line, we formed two lines, we attempted a simple follow twice with not bad results until the bottom when some of us lost steam and/or paniced and bailed out and we tried a ball. The ball was more like a potato, but the burst was nice. My ab muscles were so tight they hurt and I think my hands were siezed to the handles. I remember Terry telling people to relax and breath and I have a vague recollection of applause. I learned a lot from that fly and I'm going to comment about it in my blog in more detail when I sort it out. Suffice to say for now that it had a big effect on my thinking.

Later I learned that a lot of people stepped out of the shelter of the tent to watch this first for Swift Current and were impressed by what they saw in the air. I really hope the pictures turn out!

Island Quad and Windjammers did another group chase, but added to it this time with the Revs hovering in a ball while the Jammers made circles around them. So impressive that I can't do it justice here.

That wrapped up the weekend. The rain started coming down shortly thereafter and most of us were soaked to the skin. At the wind up pizza party I learned that two people in the city had bought Revs, but an oversight on my part meant the guy selling didn't get any of my cards. He's going to try and track them down and point them in my direction, but it will be harder now. I'm still hoping that at least one will come forward and we can get something going here locally just to add to the fun and ease the learning curve. If you are reading this and are those guys in Swift Current - POST AND LET ME KNOW!

I can hardly wait for next year. Easily the best time I've ever had at the festival with people I truly consider friends. To quote Gary from Windjammers, "You meet the nicest people at the end of the line."

Bart

Edited by bartman, 23 June 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#14 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

paul
candiice is a natural .. it was great to see her jump into the mega fly and hold her postion ... now work with her on making turns
i really can't wait to see your young son joe on a rev ... he did a cool demo with the foil... nice show for a six year old
keep on having way to much fun ...
terry

Thanks Terry we appreciate everything, we were out practiceing monday night when we got home ;)

Paul and Candy

#15 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

oh yeah ... where the heck is collingwood ????
terry

Its a "festival" here in Edmonton in september its been cut back to one day. I'll keep you all posted in case it picks up. it was cancelled but its back on.

#16 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:31 PM

Yep, I knew you would wrap lines you guys, and it would be fun. The biggest leaps you make on the learning curve is when you fly with others........:)
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#17 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

Its a "festival" here in Edmonton in september its been cut back to one day. I'll keep you all posted in case it picks up. it was cancelled but its back on.

Well, as long as the dates are available for me to book the vacation time I'm in for this. Two days would be nice, but I'll take one if that's what it is.

It was way too much fun this past weekend not to do it again and again.

Bart

#18 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

Wow Bart, you did it again... Managed to fold me, the reader, wonderfully into your experience. :D

Thank you, thank you, it's like learning to fly all over again reading your posts.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#19 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

Wow Bart, you did it again... Managed to fold me, the reader, wonderfully into your experience. :D

Thank you, thank you, it's like learning to fly all over again reading your posts.

Thanks John. I guess it really wasn't the weekend in a nutshell though. Just too much to say about such an incredible weekend. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Bart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users