33 replies to this topic

#21 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

One more note I forgot to mention the Power Blast 2-4 will stretch out 90# line quite easily even in low wind so check the equalization after every few uses especially in anything over 7 mph even in that low a wind it pulls like a truck.

After a few times of them getting stretched they should settle in, Equal lines are more important on the speed series as they are prone to slide out more than the 1.5 models so they can be very finicky (especially the shock wave)

EDIT: extra note, if you can get a set of 150# lines you might enjoy them more from say 8mph + just for the fact they are stiffer and don't feel as spongy as the 90# you feel more connected to the kite.

And when you get used to it those 150# lines can be fun in light wind using the weight of them to direct the flat floats it makes it look like you are not even controlling it. OK I'd better shut up I can go on and on about this kite I love it so much.

Edited by FortFlyer, 21 June 2009 - 09:20 PM.

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#22 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

I would NOT recommend flying the 2-4 on anything lighter than 150#. I have snapped 150# line on my 2-4 before in gusty winds and 90# won't hold up to the force at all and when it breaks (and it will), it can put a ton of extra load on the kite and you will probably damage your frame or sail or both.

For the cost of spectra line, I would recommend paying the small difference and getting a minimum of 200# spectra instead of 90#. I fly my 2-4 on 300# and have no problems at all with it in all wind conditions (from appx. 4-5 mph to 25 mph) - although I haven't bothered with trying to fly it indoors.....

Also, the lines that you shown in the picture on the winder appear to be similar to the factory lines from Revolution - the winder, sleeving and marking anyways. That's not to say that someone has swapped the lines off of the winder for something else. If they are the original lines then they would be Laser Pro Gold lines which are some of the best lines you can buy. The picture could also be misleading in the size of the one line. Double check all four lines and see if they are the same diameter or not. If one line is smaller in diameter than the others then you don't have a matched set and I would question the lines. If they are all four the same size then you may not need to shell out the extra money for another line set.

Just my opinion anyways....

#23 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

EDIT: extra note, if you can get a set of 150# lines you might enjoy them more from say 8mph + just for the fact they are stiffer and don't feel as spongy as the 90# you feel more connected to the kite.

And when you get used to it those 150# lines can be fun in light wind using the weight of them to direct the flat floats it makes it look like you are not even controlling it. OK I'd better shut up I can go on and on about this kite I love it so much.

Thanks FortFlyer. My plan is to have a lot of fun flying. Tricks and skill may come to me in the future after a bit of expirence.

I've been eying other Revs too.....

I would NOT recommend flying the 2-4 on anything lighter than 150#. I have snapped 150# line on my 2-4 before in gusty winds and 90# won't hold up to the force at all and when it breaks (and it will), it can put a ton of extra load on the kite and you will probably damage your frame or sail or both.

For the cost of spectra line, I would recommend paying the small difference and getting a minimum of 200# spectra instead of 90#. I fly my 2-4 on 300# and have no problems at all with it in all wind conditions (from appx. 4-5 mph to 25 mph) - although I haven't bothered with trying to fly it indoors.....

Also, the lines that you shown in the picture on the winder appear to be similar to the factory lines from Revolution - the winder, sleeving and marking anyways. That's not to say that someone has swapped the lines off of the winder for something else. If they are the original lines then they would be Laser Pro Gold lines which are some of the best lines you can buy. The picture could also be misleading in the size of the one line. Double check all four lines and see if they are the same diameter or not. If one line is smaller in diameter than the others then you don't have a matched set and I would question the lines. If they are all four the same size then you may not need to shell out the extra money for another line set.

Just my opinion anyways....

Thanks Kent. If I had a bit more knowledge I'd have gotten 300# lines. I plan on buggying. More 200#Pro Gold lines have been ordered so I'll be able to compare with these used lines and tell any difference. I took these pictures to show and get everybody's expert opines. One line is definite in its narrowness. The seller may have received them this way and never noticed, it sure upset me.

Today I received the vertical spar, the kite is complete.

Lines will arrive, guessing Wed.

Thanks.

#24 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Received lines last evening. Flew kite this morning. Light breeze unable to keep kite in air. During stronger breeze kite flew good. Waiting for more wind...

Challenged pop to a buggy race. His 4m foil vs my Power Blast 2-4. He thinks my kite is too small, little does he know.

Kevin

And thanks for the help everyone!

#25 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Challenged pop to a buggy race. His 4m foil vs my Power Blast 2-4. He thinks my kite is too small, little does he know.

You forgot the Mwhahahaha (evil yet knowingly so style) laugh at the end lol

Ride well!!
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#26 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Forecast for tomorrow, winds 10-20mph. So the race is on. He takes the lead, dive stop to the head baby, Mwhahahaha!

#27 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

a 2-4 in 20 mph. double check your insurance policy ;) oh and congrats on the win.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#28 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

Insurance, hahaha. Get yourself some lead ankle straps. :blue-grin: I'm surprised the Power Blast was so mild mannered, really not as powerful as it's billed to be.

Flew four hours. Winds were too light, 6mph, at 10am for buggying. They picked up, to 16mph, but not enough to lift my 180# off the ground. It's pretty easy to unintentionally spill wind and loose traction. My lines are all equal length but by the third hour I decided to lengthen the brake, because the sail was flapping and not totally responsive to my inputs. I believe the change was positive and would like to increase the brake even more on my next flight. I learned to launch with the leading edge on the ground. And I was doing dive stops, although it felt necessary to run forward while applying brakes to effectively come to a complete stop.

Also flew a 4m foil, which was slow as an old lady out for a Sunday drive. And flew a brand new HQ Symphony 1.4m, fun all around.

Kevin

Edited by roguesoul, 27 June 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#29 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

practice makes perfect. I fly the regular blast and it is super fast, I've never tried to get myself off the ground. they generate pull more then lift, if that makes sense. Ihave a pansh 4m and in equal conditions the blast will outrun it everytime, a little tuff to find the sweet spot but when you do, hang on. :wacko:
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#30 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

practice makes perfect. I fly the regular blast and it is super fast, I've never tried to get myself off the ground. they generate pull more then lift, if that makes sense. Ihave a pansh 4m and in equal conditions the blast will outrun it everytime, a little tuff to find the sweet spot but when you do, hang on. :wacko:

There is a definite sense, I have, of needing time to figure this kite out. Makes it interesting and absolutely part of the attraction.
Being pull into the air, off the ground, makes going fast in a buggy easier. It's not a requirement however.

Edited by roguesoul, 27 June 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#31 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Flew today with strong winds, guessing 20+mph. Good pull for buggying. Upwind pull was better than dad's Force 10 4m.

Too many crashes had the effect of breaking a ferrule. I don't imagine there is any way to remove the half which is glued into the end spar?

#32 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

I am sure there was a post about getting a broken ferrule out.

Someone will be able to chip in with advice I am sure.

Glad you are having fun with the Rev.

#33 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

Got the broken ferrule out. A 13/32 drill bit dropped into the rod, slammed the ferrule out enough so I could twist it out with a pliers.

brokenferrule.jpg

#34 sthorson

sthorson
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Rog,
I have learned over the years the hard way you get what you pay for. Never buy cheap... Sure Rev's and lazer Pro Gold may cost a bit more but they are Outstanding. If you ever need any help Kent is a great person to turn to at http://www.awindofchange.com .

What part of WI are you from I just moved up here and I live in Chippewa Falls WI. If we are close enough maybe we can go out flying sometime.

I just bought a Rev Blast on GWTW Fourm and I could not be happier. Im still waiting for Kent to get back to me on my Rev Power Blast 2.4. Hint hint lolol

StevePosted Image

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users