New rev'r! issues? with new/used PowerBlast 2-4

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Hey everyone, my first post. I'm in Wisconsin, USA.

Just bought a used Power Blast with two holes in the leading edge sleeve, I'd say they are about 1/4 inch sized. Do these holes need to be repaired before I fly the kite? Duct tape maybe?

hole.jpg .

However I can not fly the kite because one of the vertical spars was missing from the package. I went on the awindofchange web page to find a price for the vertical spar, $10 but shipping is $10.45. Is there a place I can buy the spar a bit cheaper?

Also there was no manual with the kite. My only real question I thought might be answered by the manual is how do I tie the lines to the kite? Knots etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

Edited by roguesoul, 16 June 2009 - 08:05 PM.

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

If you have a local kite shop, get with them and they should be able to get you taken care of and save you the shipping charge. If not then give us a call at the shop and we should be able to work out a little better price on the shipping for you.

You attach the flying lines to the kite with a larks head knot.
Here is a link that gives more information on this:
Larks Head Tutorial Page

Hope this helps.

Edited by awindofchange, 16 June 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:59 PM

I would think you should be OK flying with the holes you show. I would be tempted to go over the sail carefuly to see if there is any other damage though.

As Kent says Larkshead knot for connecting the lines. Same for connecting to the pigtails on the handles.

Make sure the lines are all the same length. And strong enough for the kite.

Than all you need is some divers boots, Go out in a ecent wind and do a Mr Fantastic impression off the Fantastic 4.

Word of caution, you are a brave man Kevin. It seems this is your first Rev kite. The Power Blast can make SERIOUS power, do be prepared, if you are not familiar with Revs or power kites try to find an experienced flier to help you with your first flight(s).

Hope you have fun, you never know get a decent blast of wind and you might be off on your hollidays a bit early. Hope you land somewhere nice.

Oh and welcome to the Forum, and the Dark Side of kiting.

#4 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Kent,Thanks. That's the type of detailed info I couldn't find on the main Rev page. Be nice to have the info on bridle setup etc. Seems like quite a few questions on these forums regarding bridles. Especially for used kite buyers.

Regarding the spar, the seller is sending me the forgotten piece. I'll be in touch with you for new spars after I bust these up while learning. :lol:

So Larks Head knot, seems like it would come apart too easy. Like this then?
larkhead.jpg

Thanks for the words of wisdom Baloo and the welcome. If I didn't know better I'd want the big boys kite, 5m or maybe a 7M sized kite. As it is 4M is near suicidal. I'm eager to experience the power-off ability. Without that feature, 3M would be about as big as I would have fun flying. I do plan on buggying though too. I may make a video of my maiden voyage, see if my feet leave the ground.

Can someone tell me what the long elastic seen here, crossing over the bridle, is used for?
elastic.jpg

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

Yup, that's the larks head knot and it works. Same knot I use on my 1.5 meter power kite all the way up to my 14 meter power kite, dual line kites, Rev's and even my single line kites. It won't come off until you pull it off.

As far as the elastic in the bottom picture, I have not seen one like that towards the leading edge of the kite at all. Either you don't have an authentic Rev or your Rev has been customized......or I just haven't seen a Rev like that before. None of my Rev's have that extra elastic on them and I have every model. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this for us. :)

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:19 AM

Wish you all the best with flyinf Kevin, hope the first few dont hurt too much.

I am with Kent wondering if you have a proper Rev, if it has not got the Revalution name on it then it is some sort of fip off. I was caught out by that a few Years ago, Ben from Rev did an incredible deal for me when I gave him the fun of smashing the rip off up. If it turns out it is not a proper Rev I suggest you get in touch with him personaly. He is on a mission to rid the World of rip off Revs. you will be able to PM him from here, his log on is Beach.

As for the elastic, no idea. If it was at the bottom connection I would say it is to thread the spar through B4 puitting the end cap on. Looks like it is at the end of the leading edge though.

As for the larkshead, dont worry about it slipping off. With the knot on the end of the bridle, the more tension put on the lines the tighter it will get. I am fairly sure the lines or bridle will break B4 the larkshead.

#7 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:17 AM

As far as the elastic in the bottom picture, I have not seen one like that towards the leading edge of the kite at all. Either you don't have an authentic Rev or your Rev has been customized......or I just haven't seen a Rev like that before. None of my Rev's have that extra elastic on them and I have every model. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this for us. :)

Crickey Kent you mean I have something you dont!! ... My PB which ironically I bought from you :wacko: has that elastic on .... mine loops up over the leading edge and 'bends' the leading edge mylar .... will take some pics and post them in a while ..... personally I'm not sure it does anythiny useful ... or what it was designed to do ....

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:43 AM

Crickey Kent you mean I have something you dont!!

Years of experience, laughter lines, lumbago ..... and your elastic don't look anything like the ones in the picture - They are all floppy.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#9 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

Mine has the elastic too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#10 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

I think the elastic is to help keep the slight curve of the part of the sail just below the LE.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#11 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

So no definitive word on the elastic. The info isn't in the manual which came with the kite? Not that I'm the type to read directions. :)

I'm tempted to fly the kite without the short vertical spars, since I wont have the one I need till end of next week. I would guess this would put too much stress on the two long vert. spars though. Bad idea no doubt?

Looks like kite assembly is pretty simple. Confirm though I did this correct, please.
IMG_0305.jpg IMG_0306.jpg

Pretty sure also, based on the above replies my kite is the genuine article. It has the name on sail, stickers on rods and handles are carbon wrapped with the correct length.

Thanks for helping out a new guy.

#12 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Well, I just reviewed the Rev Power Blast 2-4's that we have in stock and was educated in that they do have the elastic on them. Don't know why I didn't notice them before. I will have to take a very close look at my ol' Super Blast tonight at the park to see if it too has the bungee or not. Guess this proves that you can always learn something about kiting even after years of flying. :) :)

So...next thing is to contact Joe or Ben to see just what the elastic is there for and what it does.

#13 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

Looks right to me. The most common mistake people make is putting the vertical spars on the front of the kite, but it looks like yours are on the back. Most Rev's that come up on ebay seem to have the vertical spars on the front - no wonder people end up selling them! - they don't fly so easily that way ;)
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#14 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

I was about to post on how I'm all squared away and ready to fly, as soon as I receive my short spar. Thanks for the help so far.

Since I cant fly I decided to check to see if my lines are all the same length. It's a bother and since this is a "new" kite I put it off. But with nothing else to do... Here is what I found. I don't have experience with more than flying other peoples 4 line kites. But this doesn't look right.
lines.jpg

Should I request compensation from the seller? Can I fly on these? How much money to make it "right"?

Kevin

Edited by roguesoul, 20 June 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:53 AM

I was about to post on how I'm all squared away and ready to fly, as soon as I receive my short spar. Thanks for the help so far.

Since I cant fly I decided to check to see if my lines are all the same length. It's a bother and since this is a "new" kite I put it off. But with nothing else to do... Here is what I found. I don't have experience with more than flying other peoples 4 line kites. But this doesn't look right.
lines.jpg

Should I request compensation from the seller? Can I fly on these? How much money to make it "right"?

Kevin

Looks like one line has been replaced by a thinner, most likely weaker, line. You must have all four lines from the same mfr and strength, preferably originating from the same roll of line. Go for high quality lines such as Laser Pro or Shanti. They are by far worth their money in the long run.
I have Shanti lines that are over 15 years old, that I use almost every time I fly.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#16 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

Oh, so I can't fly on my "new" kite lines? gold.jpg

And so my "new" kite with holes in the leading-edge nylon, cost $345. Now I need to spend $86.45 for actual brand new kite lines.

That's $431.45. Correct me if I'm wrong, I could have bought a brand new Power Blast 2-4, for $420.

Are kite fliers supposed to get pissed off?

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

Oh, so I can't fly on my "new" kite lines? gold.jpg

And so my "new" kite with holes in the leading-edge nylon, cost $345. Now I need to spend $86.45 for actual brand new kite lines.

That's $431.45. Correct me if I'm wrong, I could have bought a brand new Power Blast 2-4, for $420.

Are kite fliers supposed to get pissed off?

Considering that one line is in fact a different line from the other three;
- It will work, but not like you would want or expect.
- You will have the problem of it tending to stretch more in flight thus less control of that area of the kite.
- I would be a bit upset.
- I would contact the ebay seller to have the problem resolved even if they wrote in tiny letters somewhere that the lines are not matched.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#18 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Hey everyone, my first post. I'm in Wisconsin, USA.

However I can not fly the kite because one of the vertical spars was missing from the package. I went on the awindofchange web page to find a price for the vertical spar, $10 but shipping is $10.45. Is there a place I can buy the spar a bit cheaper?

Thanks,
Kevin

If you're in the Milwaukee area, try Gifts of Wings Kite shop. Scott Fisher, owner, will either have them or get them for you.

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#19 roguesoul

roguesoul
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Considering that one line is in fact a different line from the other three;
- It will work, but not like you would want or expect.
- You will have the problem of it tending to stretch more in flight thus less control of that area of the kite.
- I would be a bit upset.
- I would contact the ebay seller to have the problem resolved even if they wrote in tiny letters somewhere that the lines are not matched.

Thanks johnnmitchell. I contacted the seller. And I've ordered new lines. If all goes well the kite should be in the air by this coming weekend.

If you're in the Milwaukee area, try Gifts of Wings Kite shop. Scott Fisher, owner, will either have them or get them for you.

Jynx, I'll keep them in mind. Midwest kites in Iowa is pretty close, so I made an order with them. They've got quite a nice web site.

More to follow...
Thanks.

#20 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

Jynx, I'll keep them in mind. Midwest kites in Iowa is pretty close, so I made an order with them. They've got quite a nice web site.

More to follow...
Thanks.

Rich and Lynn over at Midwest are 2 great people you can't go wrong with them, Actually I miss talking to lynn on the phone I'm gonna have to call now :)

Good Luck with that PB
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users