73 replies to this topic

#41 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

I haven't ANY of this stuff, being so new, but, given Jim's comments above, I'm wondering if this is something that should be done as a matter of course with every brand new lineset.

Now that I have used it I'm more likely to start sooner as in when you can feel the lines start to become coarse, the set I did were so bad 5 spins and you started loosing control. now bear in mind I fly pretty much everyday for 4 hours minimum up to yes 12 hours sometimes on weekends lol.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#42 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

Now that I have used it I'm more likely to start sooner as in when you can feel the lines start to become coarse, the set I did were so bad 5 spins and you started loosing control. now bear in mind I fly pretty much everyday for 4 hours minimum up to yes 12 hours sometimes on weekends lol.

All that practice and you can't even do five spins without losing control.... Pah - you're rubbish, you are! :P

#43 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

All that practice and you can't even do five spins without losing control.... Pah - you're rubbish, you are! :P

LOL punk, it was from the lines being dry and binding watch you'll see eventually.

and I said started !!
Jim,

Posted Image

#44 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

Now now children, play nicely or I will have to take you toys away.

Then I can play with them. HAAAAAAARRRRRR HAAAAARRRRR HAAAAAAAAARRRRR.

(Please note the har har har bits need to be pronounced like manic Pirate laughter to get the right effect.)

#45 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

Now now children, play nicely or I will have to take you toys away.

Then I can play with them. HAAAAAAARRRRRR HAAAAARRRRR HAAAAAAAAARRRRR.

(Please note the har har har bits need to be pronounced like manic Pirate laughter to get the right effect.)

LOL ah yes another cheeky bollok buster, Gotta love it. :lol: (locks toys in safe) :P
Jim,

Posted Image

#46 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Guess I'll need to head out to my local plumber's supply. My sewer needs an aid!!! :unsure:
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#47 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

Na, it's not a sewer - it's just Jim chattering...... Ha!

#48 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

Just to bring back an old subject, lines are still doing great this stuff isn't going to bring world peace but it will lengthen you line life some.

Attached Thumbnails

• sewers_aid.jpg

Jim,

Posted Image

#49 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

I agree, so far so good.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#50 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

I picked up a bottle at my local fabric store. I won't get a chance to work on the lines for a week or so, but I'm ready now. It appears that you just put a drop on the line and then work it into the fabric and work it down the line. Sounds like a pretty long process. Do I get it right?

Thanks, Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#51 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

I just soaked down a small corner of cloth and went the length of the line kind of rubbing back and forth at a slow walk one line at a time reapplying the aid between each line (80’). Then repeated it going the other direction. It seemed to be enough. Darn stuff doesn’t come with kite line direction. :unsure: I'm open for better ideas.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#52 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

I pretty much did the same as Denny except I did 2 lines at a time, the stuff is really thick take a little time to soak the corner of a cloth.

I concentrated mainly from about 5ft from either end and really worked it in toward the middle where most of the wear occurs.

I would suggest flying for awhile after it helps it dry somewhat and wash your hands before grabbing the handles, that stuff is slippery and doesn't come off easily.
Jim,

Posted Image

#53 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

Now you guy's been using this stuff for almost a year now is it still as good, as it first seemed
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#54 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Now you guy's been using this stuff for almost a year now is it still as good, as it first seemed

It all depends on what you put your lines through that will determine how long it lasts.

Example I used the sewers aid on my 50' set which is what I use the most, now I fly mostly on a grass field maybe 30 ft from the ocean tops and they have lasted quite well.

I would say its about time for another application that will maybe get me to early summer when I'll most likely replace the set anyhow.

I would think things like many twists from spins, flying on sand, water play would lessen the time between applications but I can say I'm a hard flyer and i beat my kites like I stole em and this stuff has lengthened my time before line replacement quite a bit.

I believe this set is 3 years old now and in the warmer months I do fly for hours daily so that is a good testament IMHO.

It's not a cure all or a miracle but for $6 for a small bottle it will prolong the life of your lines to make it worth the effort to apply.

Now that being said dirt, sand, sticks and cement park benches make for hell on a line set, dirty lines should be rinsed in fresh water because if it gets embedded that will shred your lines internally and there is no hope or fix for that.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Jim,

Posted Image

#55 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:24 AM

Lots of flying time later, I see it this way:
Drano = NO!
Armor-All = no
Sewers Aid = Yes

Best yet, New lines. (If i was making money at this I would get a new set each year)

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#56 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

Sewer cleaner has been ordered based on those recommendations. Anything that improves line life has to be a good idea.

BTW FortFlyer hope you are getting better at spins now - I saw Fraser at the Dunstable weekend and he seemed to have spinning off to a Tee. In fact it seemed spinning was all he could do - hovering, going in straight lines and not hitting the ground were all more problematic (although I am not in a great position to throw stones)! Maybe his lines were making him loose control a bit (Rubbing chin).
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#57 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

Sewer cleaner has been ordered based on those recommendations. Anything that improves line life has to be a good idea.

BTW FortFlyer hope you are getting better at spins now - I saw Fraser at the Dunstable weekend and he seemed to have spinning off to a Tee. In fact it seemed spinning was all he could do - hovering, going in straight lines and not hitting the ground were all more problematic (although I am not in a great position to throw stones)! Maybe his lines were making him loose control a bit (Rubbing chin).

great another cheeky git :kid_brooding: lol
Jim,

Posted Image

#58 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for that better go find some
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#59 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

I have been using "3-In-One" "professional" Silicone spray lubricant on my lines for some while now, works well, just spray on to line when its on the winder.
It has made a lot of difference to how the lines handle when setting up and how many more turns they will take without binding.

#60 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

I use pure silicone lubricant spray, found the the auto parts department of many hardware stores.

Stake one end, take the handles off and 'milk' each line by walking the length of the line while pinching it between a finger and thumbnail, to take any twists out of the lines.

Then saturate a clean rag with the silicone spray and walk the lines again, re-applying the silicone as needed.

Let them dry a while before winding up again.

It doesn't work miracles on old 'beach' lines, but the last time I did it the lines would start to squawk and bind with 3 or 4 wraps and after treatment they were good for around a dozen wraps before starting to bind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users