19 replies to this topic

#1 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

Okay, had plans to get some lights for the kite and totally never did it in time. Now the festival is coming up and I am sitting here without lights. In the event we have night winds I'll be looking stupid. What can I tape on a spar to make do? Any ideas? Small city and not much for options.

Bart

#2 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

if its really windy you could use four trouble lights and just styand near a plug in, the cords would lousy lines so I wouldnt do to many spins.

really hopes this helps Bart :P
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

I've used the tiny glow sticks used for night fishing they are small thin and last a few hours.

Can tape or tie them to the bridle easy they might be 2" long maybe 3/16" thick pretty light and disposable.

Try tackle shops close by I know Canadians fish
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

Some little key ring lights, if you can find them with a switch instead of a button. Remove the key ring or chain part and put a loop of kite line to larks head the light to a spar and/or bridle point.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#5 steve

steve
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

I've bought glo sticks at toy stores, craft stores, and party stores too. In Wildwood I had the "bracelet" size which came with connectors so you can keep attaching sticks to make them as long as you want. We outlined the pattern on Robert Brassington's Church Windows Delta using mailing tape. It looked really cool and the tape left no residue.

Good Luck! Hope there's a breeze!
Sue
High Flyers

#6 jsking

jsking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

check places like Party City...some times dollar stores....for "finger lights". they're small led lights for kids to use at parties, etc. They have a velcro strap for the kids to strap on their fingers...but they work great around an end cap or spar. The finger lights are inexpensive but their quality (brightness) and durability can be questionable, so I buy a sh...er...truckload at a time.
Jeff
Wings Over Washington
http://www.flickr.co...44623@N00/sets/

--------------------
Revus Regnum

#7 RAWVEEDA

RAWVEEDA

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:41 AM

I had great luck with inova microlights (key chain style) set them to flash or use the low power mode (high power turns off after 4 min) They have easy to get to batteries & they sell them at target. Use the attachment method Scott mentioned & they will work fine. I used a zip tie through the loop. look around there are plenty of options. Glowsticks are perfect in a pinch also.
Posted Image

#8 Hal

Hal
  • Forum Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

Glo sticks - use the nylon tie straps to secure them through the mesh around the main spar

#9 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

Glo sticks - use the nylon tie straps to secure them through the mesh around the main spar

Through the mesh?

It will probably have to be glow sticks. We don't have any of the other places mentioned. I'll make a circuit today after work just in case something springs to mind.

Thanks.

Bart

#10 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

http://www.revkites....p?showtopic=272
Here is 123 more ideas

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#11 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

Well, found something called "Finger beams" at the dollar store. Sounds like what is being described a lot on that other thread. They don't flash and half didn't work so I'll need to pick up a few more tomorrow.

They have a little piece of fabric elastic which looks like it would go around the end caps perfect. The LED though will only shine either towards the kite or away from the kite just based on how they are positioned. Should be fine in a pinch and they weigh nothing.

Thanks for the tips.

Bart

#12 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

Well, found something called "Finger beams" at the dollar store. Sounds like what is being described a lot on that other thread. They don't flash and half didn't work so I'll need to pick up a few more tomorrow.

They have a little piece of fabric elastic which looks like it would go around the end caps perfect. The LED though will only shine either towards the kite or away from the kite just based on how they are positioned. Should be fine in a pinch and they weigh nothing.

Thanks for the tips.

Bart

Check that they don't have those little plastic tabs that prevent battery contact in them. I got a bag full from John B a few years back and some of them had those in it I thought they were dead till I realized they were there.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#13 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

yeah, they have them, but dead as doornails. No big deal. One buck for a package of 4 - red, blue, green and white and they had lots there so I'll just pick up more to be covered. I don't suspect they have long life and I'll need to get something better for next time. In time before next time too!

Bart

#14 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Another option:

Koosh_ring.jpg ...and/or... blinky_ring.jpg

If you can find them... these work pretty well.

LED blinking rings. They're called jelly (or rubber) blinky (or blinking) glow (or Koosh) rings. They run anywhere from $1 - $2.50 each. You can find them on eBay and in some of the party supply stores. They fit between the LE and end cap and can also be used on the lower tips.

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#15 JeffD

JeffD
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

I've used led's intended to be screwed onto the valve of a bicycle tire. Sold in bike or auto section of Wal-Mart and other places.

Various colors and blink with motion. I've enjoyed letting them go off by stalling for a while and then getting them going again with some ability to control which go on.

I drilled a small hole through the part intended to be screwed onto the valve stem and larksheaded a rubber
band on each. Larkshead to wherever on the kite frame.

Didn't light the whole kite but could be seen a long way off. The UFO effect.

Worked great and the auto off saved the batteries.

#16 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

Another option:

Koosh_ring.jpg ...and/or... blinky_ring.jpg

If you can find them... these work pretty well.

LED blinking rings. They're called jelly (or rubber) blinky (or blinking) glow (or Koosh) rings. They run anywhere from $1 - $2.50 each. You can find them on eBay and in some of the party supply stores. They fit between the LE and end cap and can also be used on the lower tips.

So they are soft like a clear rubber material?

I've used led's intended to be screwed onto the valve of a bicycle tire. Sold in bike or auto section of Wal-Mart and other places.

Various colors and blink with motion. I've enjoyed letting them go off by stalling for a while and then getting them going again with some ability to control which go on.

I drilled a small hole through the part intended to be screwed onto the valve stem and larksheaded a rubber
band on each. Larkshead to wherever on the kite frame.

Didn't light the whole kite but could be seen a long way off. The UFO effect.

Worked great and the auto off saved the batteries.

I did look at these, but they seemed very heavy. It is unlikely there will be any wind here after dark anyway, but in the event there is these do-dads I found will work in the pinch.

Bart

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

Blinking lights give me fits, damned hard to reliably track, especially in a team.

Bazzer and I are working on the concept for a true night-specific Rev, we'll keep you posted, looks positive. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#18 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

So they are soft like a clear rubber material?
Bart

Yep, soft rubber! Feel almost like gummie bears!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#19 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

Blinking lights give me fits, damned hard to reliably track, especially in a team.

Bazzer and I are working on the concept for a true night-specific Rev, we'll keep you posted, looks positive. :)

Two things come to mind,
1)use of the reflective silver strips as used on high vis Jackets. Buy jacket, cut strips and stitch into/around vented area of an old vented Rev. Did this on a Delta ages ago, effect is quite good if there's ambient light.
2) paint available from gadget/joke shops that *charges* via light (as used on wristwatches) again, used on Delta's ages ago, spars were 4.5mm wrapped in flourecent yellow, tips held superbright LED's, batteries & flasher unit, weight: 2.3gram each tip.
I believe that a *chargeable* material is available, maybe if the idea sounds workable you could contact the manufacturers of the workwear for further contacts

hope this helps
Tim
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#20 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Blinking lights give me fits,

There needs to be a warning on the kite like the ones for video games. "playing may cause seziures"
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users