8 replies to this topic

#1 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

Well, i took the newly aquired EXP and the Blast (2001 model) for their first flights today.
The EXP flew nice, i found that i can do all the excercises set out in the flying techniques sheet, albeit a bit wobbly.
Played with it for 3 hours then thought 'Blast'!!!
Set it up, everything tight but not overly so.
Thought 'take it easy' as i'm using unidentified strain dyneema lines but had to see what she was like.
So,.... up she went with a mild but continuous wind, then she caught a gust, S***e!! the power is amazing, Played with the brakes, easier to use than the EXP, then at top of the window, she turns tail and heads groundward, full brakes....Nothing!! Smack, head on full whack impact with the grass. Wind rolls her over gently, something looks wonky, tied brake lines to stake and go to inspect. All 3 leading edge spars have collapsed, crushed by the impact i suspect.

Now you know the story, i have questions:
Does the Blast (01model) come with Ultralight spars as standard? (outer LE, center spar has Rev Equipped in Gold, outers have U/L on Gold)
Would replacing them with a set of 4, cut to measure, skyshark tubes be any good
Any ideas why she just turned kamikazi on me? everything was as it was when she went up, bridles etc
Do standard (13inch from EXP) handles have detrimental effects on the Blast (have ordered a pair of extended [15inch] now)

(Skyshark tubes...I have a very high regard for these tubes as i have used them with Delta's and archery equipment and have never had a crushed one yet)

Thanks in advance for all who attempt to help me in this hour of need and sorrow lol (she WILL be rebuilt)
Tim
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:24 AM

Tim

Blast comes with '7/16" Super Leading Edge' don't think there is any choice of 'wrap' and I whilst I am sure you could replace it with an alternative I would recommend just getting an off the shelf rev replacement which you know will work .. No doubt you are thinking that it would be good to have have some cheap spares to learn on? .... I know people like kiteworld.co.uk carry spares so give them a call!

The blast also comes with its own 'carbon' wrapped hadles but a lot of us fly them off standard 13" handles as well .... personally I only use 15" handles for light weather flying to give a little extra 'throw'.

Oh and make sure your bridle setup is right on the Blast, I bought a second hand one and it took me ages to get it tuned right on mine...

Keep the news coming!

#3 RAWVEEDA

RAWVEEDA

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

sorry to hear about your Blast :blue-confused:
But to answer a few of your questions.
The 13 inch handles are standard with the Blast
Yes the Ultralight frame is standard. I know when I bought mine it came with an extra spar that was a 4wrap. I broke 2 centers in one weekend (high wind no crash) my replacements were 3 wraps (ultralight).

The Blast is a different beast than the EXP. I have noticed that very little input is needed to make it go off in a different direction. Also the bridle settings can play a big factor. Search the forum for that topic. The papers say the Blast should only be flown with previous rev experience. I think once the sail loaded up you felt the speed series side of it kick in. By the time you reacted it was too late. (I have learned that lesson a few times. You can't take your eyes away for a second with that one) That must have been some shot for you to take out the whole LE.
Which bridle set up were you using? Inner? Outer? did you have the down bridle attached? All of those WILL play a major factor on how the Blast flys.
Once you get used to the Blast is is one amazing low wind flyer. When the winds pick up a bit. Get ready and hold on ;)
Posted Image

#4 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

sorry to hear about your Blast :blue-confused:
But to answer a few of your questions.
The 13 inch handles are standard with the Blast
Yes the Ultralight frame is standard. I know when I bought mine it came with an extra spar that was a 4wrap. I broke 2 centers in one weekend (high wind no crash) my replacements were 3 wraps (ultralight).

The Blast is a different beast than the EXP. I have noticed that very little input is needed to make it go off in a different direction. Also the bridle settings can play a big factor. Search the forum for that topic. The papers say the Blast should only be flown with previous rev experience. I think once the sail loaded up you felt the speed series side of it kick in. By the time you reacted it was too late. (I have learned that lesson a few times. You can't take your eyes away for a second with that one) That must have been some shot for you to take out the whole LE.
Which bridle set up were you using? Inner? Outer? did you have the down bridle attached? All of those WILL play a major factor on how the Blast flys.
Once you get used to the Blast is is one amazing low wind flyer. When the winds pick up a bit. Get ready and hold on ;)

Hi SLE's come in UL & Standard.

but in the Blast I think only comes in UL, plus you can get the Race frame for lower winds.

I would check that the LE was inserted correctly, as I cant imagine that it would break in normal use.

Also i would practice more on the exp, till you are fully in control.

good luck

PS where is/are the other Blast threads.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Hi SLE's come in UL & Standard.

but in the Blast I think only comes in UL, plus you can get the Race frame for lower winds.

I would check that the LE was inserted correctly, as I cant imagine that it would break in normal use.

Also i would practice more on the exp, till you are fully in control.

good luck

PS where is/are the other Blast threads.

You can purchase the SLE Ultra Light (3 wrap) or the SLE Revolution Equipped (4 wrap) rods for the Blast. It should have come with Ultra Lights in the leading edge (standard supplied) and one extra Rev Equipped leading edge rod. All of the leading edge rods for the 2001 model were the larger 7/16" SLE rods. The standard rods for the leading edge will not hold up at all on the Blast, I also don't think that Skyshark rods will hold up either. The Blast puts off too much force for these rods and you will snap them easily. The new 2009 Blast comes with an optional Blast Race Rod that is designed for lighter winds. This is not the same style Race Rod used for the 1.5's because it has been beefed up tremendously compared to the 1.5 Race Rods - so it is not comparable to the standard Rev Rods or the Skyshark rods.

One thing that you may need to check is the amount of stretch you have with your current line set (you hinted that you thought it may be Dyneema and didn't know the exact strength, kind of sounded like you weren't sure in your post). The Blast puts off some serious power when the sail gets loaded up and if your lines are lower quality lines with excessive stretch - then when you went for your dive stop, applying the brakes may have just stretched the lines instead of pulling on the sail. This would have caused the kite to just continue straight into the ground as you described.

You need to remember that applying a full stop is only moving the handles appx. 4-5 inches. It is very possible to have cheaper quality lines stretch up to 12 inches over 100 foot. I have seen this myself and the lines will stretch instead of stopping the kite and the kite will just slam into the ground just like you have applied zero brakes. In light winds when the sail is not loaded you may have fairly decent control but when the sail gets loaded up, the lines stretch more than they control the sail.

I agree with the above posts, you may be better off just purchasing authentic replacement SLE rods from Revolution. I feel that you will be wasting your time and money trying to frame the kite in any other rods. Just remember that you may save a little bit with the Skyshark rods but if they explode, you take the chance of them puncturing or tearing your sail which could destroy the kite all together.....then the slight savings won't turn out to be much of a savings at all and probably cost ten times more in the long run. :)

Hope that helps.

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

use appropriate strength flying line (200 lbs or higher if the wind is blowing steady enough to wiggle you pant legs)

Take the lines off of the kite and drop 'em over a well-placed kite stake. No wraps, no nesting, no tangles!!!
Go back to the handles and see if they align perfectly (in your grip when fully tensioned), if not they need to be equalized.

Affix the equalized lines back onto your kite, set it up leading edge on the ground (inverted) FIRST.
Keep shorting the brake leaders until it will back-up (inverted) by pushing your thumbs slowly at the kite.
Now the kite is tuned.

Next time you get into dangerous trouble
LET GO of both handles immediately
(make certain your down-wind area is clear of people or hazards before practicing)
Without tension it falls as opposed to crashing.

That burst of power/speed is why you bought a Blast, controlling it is part of the excitement!

#7 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Many thanks folks, it looks like the lines have stretched a fair bit.
I checked the lengths yesterday and they were millimetre perfect, when i checked them in the garden earlier, i had 3 different lengths with one brake being 4.5 inches longer than the 'Top' lines. Second brake was 2.6 inch longer than the 'Top'. I'm using 35 meter lines, Dyneema braking strain unknown but am going to swap the set from my 6sqM power kite, they get checked very often

I will be checking the bridles too as i just get a feeling that it's wrong even though they look identical under tension, maybe just buy a new set to make sure.
I was using the outer bottom bridle loop as the sheet it came with said it would be less sensitive. Didnt get the chance to try the inner loop
Is the bridle a two (2) piece affair as in top and bottom not connected, left and right connected

I'll also take the advice given on the rods, have decided to go with authentic Rev's but am still a bit wary about U/L, maybe i just need a lot more practice ( well, there's NO maybe about it lol)

Once again, I thank you All
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#8 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Unless you are flying in light winds with the Blast, I would opt for the Rev Equipped SLE leading edge. It is much stronger and less prone to breakage, especially if you are somewhat new to Rev's and the Blast. The cost is about the same for the Rev Equipped (4 wrap) as the Ultra Light (3 wrap). Make sure that when you put in your new leading edge that the bungee's on both end caps are super tight and the leading edge rod seats in fully on the ferule's. If your bungee's are loose it could allow the leading edge to separate which will lead to split leading edge rods.

Edited by awindofchange, 12 June 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:08 PM

The Blast bridle is in 2 parts when set up on the kite. There is a small link line betwen the two.

Most folks fly with this link line off. Also makes a difference if you are on outer or inner lower connections due to wind.

You are right to go for the Rev rods.

I should fly my Blast more, might try it next time I am out and about. Exelent fun.

You need to think about getting at least 150lb lines if there is more than a breeze.

Now you have checked your lines at least you have a good idea of what went wrong. Your power kite lines will work of course. Remember if they are heavy duty ones they will make the kite "heavier" to fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users