Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes but still not sure :P being the in UK the weathers changes by the hour so I can see why lots of you have multiple Revs.

In Bordon, about 15-20mins from Buster Hill. was there this evening attemping to fly my HQ Bebop :blushing: now thinking how long will a Rev last me :blink:

So how would complete noob kite flyer get on with a Rev ?

Buster Hill is very handy for me but I've also got a large(ish) playing field just down the road, no where near as windy as Buster so am I right in thinking this type of place is best for a vented Rev ?

Thanks.

Some while since I was on Butser hill, could be nice and breezy there too from what I remember. we have good winds here, the nice helpful folk who measure and record wind speeds across the UK reckon this (the UK) to be the windiest place in Europe, probably why another new wind farm is being constructed 5 miles from our flying site.
You will need both sails but how much use you make of either much depends on where you fly.
Today was the 15th consecutive time I have flown a well loaded vented kite since 24th May, though it looks as if tomorrow might just be a full sail for a change.
Based on data collected over the last 30 years the 24hr average windspeed here is 12mph, real nice to live by the coast. :)

Edited by Harrier, 13 June 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#22 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:12 AM

:angry: :big_blowup: Arrgghh can't decide which to get and need to order one asap it's burning a hole in my jeans !
I'm thinking of just the EXP as it's the cheapest and it's not the end of the world if I don't get on with it ? or the 1.5 SLE as it has a good wind range and one of the best selling or go the hole hog and splash out on the B series :ani_giveup:

#23 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

I'm thinking of just the EXP as it's the cheapest and it's not the end of the world if I don't get on with it ? or the 1.5 SLE as it has a good wind range and one of the best selling or go the hole hog and splash out on the B series ani_giveup.gif

Not a bad way to go, there is nothing wrong with the exp, don't eat yourself up over this chances are you will have a bag full of Revs in 18 months time, anyway. :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#24 cerfvoliste

cerfvoliste

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:12 AM

I think you should go with the Standard 1.5 SLE sail, but avoid the "Super Leading Edge" itself and go with the 3 Wrap 1/4 inch (Ultra Light) leading edge if you can.
Rx

Posted Image
(the bottom one)

Edited by rxburner, 16 June 2009 - 06:13 AM.

Posted Image
Remember:
No Mater Where You Go, There You Are

#25 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:14 AM

Can you get an SLE with out the SLE (excluding the UL of course)?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#26 cerfvoliste

cerfvoliste

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:15 AM

I did, I just asked my kite shop to order it that way from Rev.
I believe the 2008 and forward models come with the 3-Wrap now. I know that Mr. Dave, will let you pick your frame.
Rx

Quote From a West Coast Kite Pusher

"NOTE: NEW 2008 MODELS NOW IN STOCK!!

Review: Std now framed with 3-wrap frame, SUL 2-wrap, Vented 4-wrap. You can request any of above frames for each model at no extra cost! The Revolution 1.5 is my all time favorite kite to fly. Propeller-like spins, forward and reverse flight, 0-60 in about a second, inverted slides, instant stops. These kites do it all. Made in the USA of excellent materials coupled with outstanding workmanship. In the hands of an experienced flyer, nothing attracts the crowd quite like a Rev! So cool, I named my dog after it"!

Edited by rxburner, 16 June 2009 - 06:24 AM.

Posted Image
Remember:
No Mater Where You Go, There You Are

#27 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

:angry: :big_blowup: Arrgghh can't decide which to get and need to order one asap it's burning a hole in my jeans !
I'm thinking of just the EXP as it's the cheapest and it's not the end of the world if I don't get on with it ? or the 1.5 SLE as it has a good wind range and one of the best selling or go the hole hog and splash out on the B series :ani_giveup:

Simon ...

Come to Southampton festival this weekend and I will lend you my older B standard for a few weeks to try ...... you know it makes senes!

#28 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

I did, I just asked my kite shop to order it that way from Rev.
I believe the 2008 and forward models come with the 3-Wrap now. I know that Mr. Dave, will let you pick your frame.
Rx

Itís not quite that straight forward here in the UK.

UK traders arenít able to offer that level of flexibility at least not with the turn-round you get in the US. Itís not their fault but the cost and time involved in clearing customs makes small orders impracticable.

But there is this, unfortunately it appears only one colour option at the moment and I have to say it wouldn't be my choice. :(
Stone in Shoe Bob

#29 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

Come to Southampton festival this weekend and I will lend you my older B standard for a few weeks to try ...... you know it makes senes!

That would be ideal as I've never flown a Rev yet.

I think you should go with the Standard 1.5 SLE sail, but avoid the "Super Leading Edge" itself and go with the 3 Wrap 1/4 inch (Ultra Light) leading edge if you can.

What excatly does this do to the kite, flight/handling wise ?

Simon.

#30 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

Thinner means lighter and more flexible, springy, so it will absorb inertia, but being lighter there will be less inertia to absorb. The vast majority of experienced Rev flyers much prefer the thinner leading edge, but the decision is far ďless cut and driedĒ for newbies. The sle, being stronger and thicker, is going to cope with the occasional close encounter with the ground much better and it will also cope with much better with the stronger wind until you get that vented, the downside is it needs a little more wind to lift the extra weight. You will notice here, everything is a compromise, every thing is a trade of, for every plus there is a minus and visa- versa.

Right now you are looking to buy your first Rev but as I said earlier if you are serious about this, chances are you will have a bag full of Revs in 18 months time, anyway and you will look back at this thread and wonder why you sweated so much over this decision.

You should look on building your Rev bag in the same way as a golfer looks at building a golf bag, your eventual aim should be to collect a sail and set of sticks to cover all conditions. There are several ways of going about this but for now all you need to worry about is how to cover as much range as you can for the minimum outlay. If you feel the B Series is to bigger outlay at the moment one option could be an SLE & and EXP leading edge (two end pieces and a centre piece)

http://www.kiteworld...og/info_34.html
Stone in Shoe Bob

#31 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

Thankyou.

I can see that I'm going to buy more later on as everyone has said it :lol: so if I'm going to probably buy more later whats going to be the best one to learn on from scratch ? I like the option(s) on the B series but maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk with one of these ? I dunno maybe I should just 'add to cart' the EXP in Raspberry/White/Black just to get up and running :ani_punk:

Simon.

Edited by SAW, 16 June 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#32 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

Thankyou.

I can see that I'm going to buy more later on as everyone has said it :lol: so if I'm going to probably buy more later whats going to be the best one to learn on from scratch ? I like the option(s) on the B series but maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk with one of these ? I dunno maybe I should just 'add to cart' the EXP in Raspberry/White/Black just to get up and running :wacko:

Simon.

At least you get a line set with the EXP (make sure) and after you have upgraded as you already expect to its a great kite to put out for others to try and get hooked on.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#33 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thankyou.
......... so if I'm going to probably buy more later whats going to be the best one to learn on from scratch ? I like the option(s) on the B series but maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk with one of these ?

Not necessarily, don't think that because the B Series is more expensive that it is "too good" for a beginner, true it was originally aimed at the experienced Rev flier but it ha become very popular with newbies who can see that they will want to take this further because it offers such good VFM.

One note of caution though, re. trying to run before you can walk. I wouldn't put the "Pro Use Only" (two wrap) frame in first time out, you may need a couple of outings, under your belt before you try that one.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#34 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

I know everyone "newbies" seem to be scared of the crashes and breaking their new expensive kite. there is no substitute for a little demo. I handed my "B" to a kid at a festival whom had never touched a Rev he was proficient within the hour and never crashed, two or three smacks from dive stops but nothing this kite cant handle with ease.

I learned on a blast and my first 1.5 was a "B"

just my two cents, enjoy whichever kite you get ;)

Edited by kitecowboy, 18 June 2009 - 11:30 AM.

Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#35 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

Heck yeah Cowboy... I happily teach on my personal kites (B-Series), never had a newbie bust anything as long as I had the right frame in use.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#36 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:00 PM

Last seen, flying somewhere over 2,000 ft and rising....

Heheh you have no idea I was indeed 2, 000ft and climbing to over 11, 000m (38, 000 ft) at the time ;)

this really made me chuckle :lol:

@Simon hope it all works out for you...... :D

Edited by Choccy, 21 June 2009 - 11:12 PM.

1 of the 47.

#37 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:57 PM

Simon ...

Good to meet yesterday ... sorry it wasn't the best conditions or space to try different models but hopefully my old 'B' will give you a chance to get a feel for what everyone is on about ....

Jonesey

Oh and everyone else .... don't let him kid you he is a complete newbie ... first attempt, take off vertical climb though window and descend to controlled landing..... took me 3 weeks to get that far!!

#38 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

Agree with Jonesey - Simon's a ringer! He'll be at the Europeans later in the year :)

Will add you to the local meetings mailing list Simon.

Edited by Sailor99, 22 June 2009 - 02:32 AM.

Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#39 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

Nice to meet you all yesterday :bye1: , and thanks very much Jonesey for the loan of the Rev B)

Had a little practice last night down Southsea :rev_clockwork: I'm going to need alot of practice, but I can see why there so addictive !

#40 SAW

SAW
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

Jonesey, I have pm'd you and texted you about getting your Rev back to you, have you not got them ? :unsure:

Simon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users