#1 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:05 AM

Hi all, Thought i'd say hello and give you some background info about me
Name's Tim, 41, UK based (Swansea, South Wales - NOT England but attached to it)
I have been flying foils for many years including quad line with my largest quad being a 6sqM and my smallest (and fastest by far) being a 1 sqM dual line.
I'm a static flyer although i have tried and enjoyed a few Buggy trials, but with a back injury, i paid for it over the following few days.

I first saw a Rev in action on the beach just down the road and just stopped and watched the pilot for about 2 hours before asking him what his kite was, he kindly allowed me a half hour trial run with it and i became hooked on the thought of owning one.
Now via the great Bay of E, i own a Rev EXP and a Blast but have yet to get out in the wind with them. The day will come soon though.

I have read and gleaned soo much info from this site, but i'm still apprehensive about the 'getting it right' factor.

I now ask if any of you experienced fliers could give me some of the tips that you found useful when you first started with your Rev's

Many Thanks

Tim
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#2 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:25 AM

Welcome aboard. Rev flying is a one way train and it never stops...because nobody wants off.

Tha hands down best way to get started is with other flyers. I'm sure once the sun rolls around to your part of the world the other UK flyers will start chiming in. Make plans to fly with some of them. They'll help you. The learning curve is is greatly sped up when you're not alone practicing your mistakes.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#3 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:43 AM

Just came back to this thread to ask if anyone around Swansea could arrange a meet in the near future to give me a few tips and a bit of 'hands on' instruction.
happy to travel a bit too
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

#4 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

Just came back to this thread to ask if anyone around Swansea could arrange a meet in the near future to give me a few tips and a bit of 'hands on' instruction.
happy to travel a bit too

Don't know if there any Rev flyers in Swansea but if you fancy a trip there are a few over the bridge, or if you fancy a long trip we are at Dunstable Downs..........only about 4 hours away lol
GARY

Posted Image

#5 John Barresi

John Barresi

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

Welcome to the forum Tim. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.comkitemap.org | Rev Tutorials
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hi , make sure you put it together properly, keep the bungee's on the kite nice and tight, make sure the line's are the same length ( not all four ) just the top line's the same length as each other and the bottom one's the same length as each other, most importantly though HAVE FUN . :) take Sarnie's and a flask of coffee onto the flying venue with you, you will loose all track of time and end up being there all day.

#7 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Thanks all for the warm welcomes.
I do visit 'The Wrong Side of The Bridge' quite often to fly at Weston etc, but further afield for a group meet appeals too.
I have been reading about keeping the lines equal but would like a bit of clarification on one or two points.
1) On 'most' of my quad line foils, i keep the brake lines about 8 inches longer than the main lines, Is this 'standard' the norm for
a) Rev EXP
B) Rev Blast
c) Rev Indoor (currently bidding on eBay)
Or are all lines the same length
As the EXP is a few (3) years old and flown 3 times & The Blast has No lines/Handles, would it be sensible to upgrade the lines to Spectra's?
What brand lines would you recommend for them

Wobbly, when i'm flying my foils, my iPhone is on silent, the other half is in work, i get no distractions whatsoever, i take enough munchies to keep me going for a whole weekend sometimes so i know where your coming from lol

Dunstable sounds good if it were to be a weekends worth of flying, is camping allowed over there?? 4 hours sounds about right on 4 wheels, shame i've just sold my bike otherwise 2 would sound better haha
Thanks for the advice too

Cheers

Tim

#8 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

Tim ... welcome...

Although I live on the South coast (Nr Portsmouth) my old folks live in Bristol so travel up that way quite a bit .. next time I'm up that way I will drop you a PM and see if I cant save you another stamp in your passport ;)

I fly my Blast on my standard (90lb) lines with the new race frame and on a set of 150lb when using the SLE ....

Oh and yes all line the same length .. top and bottom

Jonesey

Edited by Jonesey, 09 June 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:57 AM

keep the bungee's on the kite nice and tight,

A brief response, just to elaborate on the above statement.

Be aware that the top elastics need to be done first when adjusting tension.
They are used to keep the end-caps aligned with the top of the leading edge. You do NOT want them to rise higher than the leading edge when the kite is being thrown around (or flown smoothly -?- ). That is a certain "catch point" when 3-D flying!!!
After the top elastic is addressed feel feel free to work on the bottoms.

Pinch the excess in the jaws of a forceps, lock 'em & then pull/stretch the removal part tightly and hot-cut or melt away that length with a lighter. Do not allow little dangly pieces of elastic (or excess knots within it's length) down at the tips of the triangles. This piece can/will catch a flying line or bridle leg when flipping inside-out. In fact, some folks even place a tiny little belt-loop type of cover over that area, if they do this technique frequently or in competition.

None of the frame members should be distorted when the kite is assembled.

#10 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

I have been reading about keeping the lines equal but would like a bit of clarification on one or two points.
1) On 'most' of my quad line foils, i keep the brake lines about 8 inches longer than the main lines, Is this 'standard' the norm for
a) Rev EXP
B) Rev Blast
c) Rev Indoor (currently bidding on eBay)
Or are all lines the same length

You have had two apparently contradictory (yet strangely correct) pieces of advice on this.

First Wobbly said

…….. make sure the line's are the same length ( not all four ) just the top line's the same length as each other and the bottom one's the same length as each other, ………

Then Jonesey said.

Oh and yes all line the same length .. top and bottom

According to manufacturer’s instructions should be the same length, however the general consensus is for shortened break lines as it aids control. There are a number of ways to skin a cat, but generally what most people tend to do is keep all four lines equalised and make adjustments by tying knots in the leaders on the handles, sometimes referred to as pigtails. There are several threads on the forum going into this in great detail, have a look in Setup and Assembly. One further piece of advice though, when you have found and read the threads, don’t dive straight in at the deep end and set massive amounts of break, that’s not a good move for a beginner, build it up slowly and find what works for you.

As the EXP is a few (3) years old and flown 3 times & The Blast has No lines/Handles, would it be sensible to upgrade the lines to Spectra's?
What brand lines would you recommend for them

In a word, "No".

Generally speaking Laser Pro Gold is preferred by most Rev fliers and I believe it is actually recommended by Revoloution, but if I am wrong on this, no doubt it won’t be long before someone in the know corrects me. If you have lines and handles that came with your EXP I recon chances are they will be LPG as many EXP’s are sold “ready to fly” with lines and handles. If the lines you have do need replacing go for either LPG or a Rev branded set.

As for the Blast, I can’t offer much help there, it’s alien territory to me I’m afraid, but I think you may need some heavier lines, I recon the handles should be okay though.

Dunstable sounds good if it were to be a weekends worth of flying, is camping allowed over there?? 4 hours sounds about right on 4 wheels, shame i've just sold my bike otherwise 2 would sound better haha
Thanks for the advice too.

Camping is a No No I’m afraid though there are a couple of Travel Lodges close by.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users