45 replies to this topic

#21 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

Mines a Similar story as Chris above.Dont think you will go to far wrong with the EXP.

Best advice i could give now is practice Often as possible and find other Rev flyers to fly with.Flying with folks that have been through the pain barrier.Will bring your skills on ten times quicker....usually.

Its great fun to.

E N J O Y

BRIAN...

#22 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:11 AM

You have made up my mind.Its got to be the EXP!!!!Once I am confident flying it,I might invest in a mid vent or full vent or both depending on the bank balance.Thanks for all the comments,and help

If you want to try what is without doubt the most widely used and best general purpose Rev for this part of England come along to the Haven at Holland on Sea and we will happily put a B vented in your hands.
One chap who flys with us comes from Colchester, it ain't far from here, pm and we will sort something out, we can sure show you how not to fly the things.
PS. be careful taking Rev advice from Big Bri, he has probably lashed out on more than 50 Revs and still ain,t got the right one. :lol:
most of these old fella's started out with EXP's because the B series had not been born in their day, y'know when beer was thruppence a gallon etc etc.

#23 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:36 PM

Thank you for that Harrier, of course you can not remember the thruppence a gallon Days being so young, rich and handsome yourself. (tee hee)

Just thought of another piece of advice.

Although an EXP will fly well, it is not as accomplished a kite as maybe a B or even a B pro now. You will find it is an example of you get what you pay fro. ALL Revs are FANTASTIC fun. However some are more fun than others.

Although a good Rev flier could make an EXP fly in very low wind, dont be suprised if you can not. You might well find the situation where other fliers are having no probems with thiers and you have a lot of problems. Partly down to skill and partly down to the kite.

I went to a fest recently where there was only a breath of wind, I find light wind flying frustrating so did not fly at all. I did open my bag though to let one of the other guys try one of my kites.

The reason I am posting this is just to warn you that the EXP is cheaper, however it has more limitation, in my opinion in low wind.

And if you can get to meet Harrier GO FOR IT, it will give you a HUGE jump start in your Revability.

#24 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:52 AM

Thank you for that Harrier, of course you can not remember the thruppence a gallon Days being so young, rich and handsome yourself. (tee hee)

Just thought of another piece of advice.

Although an EXP will fly well, it is not as accomplished a kite as maybe a B or even a B pro now. You will find it is an example of you get what you pay fro. ALL Revs are FANTASTIC fun. However some are more fun than others.

Although a good Rev flier could make an EXP fly in very low wind, dont be suprised if you can not. You might well find the situation where other fliers are having no probems with thiers and you have a lot of problems. Partly down to skill and partly down to the kite.

I went to a fest recently where there was only a breath of wind, I find light wind flying frustrating so did not fly at all. I did open my bag though to let one of the other guys try one of my kites.

The reason I am posting this is just to warn you that the EXP is cheaper, however it has more limitation, in my opinion in low wind.

And if you can get to meet Harrier GO FOR IT, it will give you a HUGE jump start in your Revability.

WOW WOW WOW
I can not believe how helpful you lot are.I am seriously thinking mid vent now but will try and make up my mind.I am hoping to meet a few of you at Plough corner this weekend (weather permitting).And fingers crossed you might let me have a go.Just remember expensive kites in Rev virgins hands.Do I need to bring my own replacement spars ha ha ha ha.
All the best
Daz B) B) B)
All the best

Daz

#25 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:47 AM

Harrier, of course you can not remember the thruppence a gallon Days being so young, rich and handsome yourself. (tee hee)

Thank you for that Chris, I am afraid however that the rich bit is no longer true, since going seriously over budget with the wind tunnel at Kiteworkshops.inc we have been removed from the Forbes lists.

Daz has now taken his first steps on the road to ruin and no doubt we will show him all sorts of "cantdowithout" things which cost a fortune.

No problem over the next few days with not enough winds for an EXP… the gusts on lighter wind days here can be fun too, they usually feel as if someone is whacking the kite with a shovel.

It is easy to spot the full sail fliers about here, they walk about with knuckles dragging, gazing skyward in the vain hope they might just see the first signs of a nice gentle breeze.
Looking good for Saturday Daz :lol:

today_wind.jpg

#26 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

Do I need to bring my own replacement spars ha ha ha ha.
All the best
Daz B) B) B)

Nope, just your wallet will do fine. :lol:

#27 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

Nope, just your wallet will do fine. :lol:

:lol: :lol: Cheers Harrier I will try and catch up with you tomorrow.And the wallet is staying at home hahaha :w00t:
All the best

Daz

#28 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

first of all

I would like to thank Bruce and Colin for letting me fly there revs today.Having flown a full vent now my mind is made up.I am fingers crossed going to order 1 tomorrow.

Once again thanks and look forward to flying with you

all the best

daz
All the best

Daz

#29 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:16 AM

Welcome to the Darkside, look forward to flying with you again soon, Vented B does not come with line's so if you don't have any you would need to order some ( they are quite a usefull thing to have ) we tend to use 30m length line's unless we are in a very small arena dodging inflatable aeroplane's
B)

#30 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

first of all

I would like to thank Bruce and Colin for letting me fly there revs today.Having flown a full vent now my mind is made up.I am fingers crossed going to order 1 tomorrow.

Once again thanks and look forward to flying with you

all the best

daz

We look forward to flying with you again soon, not bad, inverted hovers first time out. :lol:
kites_0052.jpg

#31 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

We look forward to flying with you again soon, not bad, inverted hovers first time out. :lol:
kites_0052.jpg

I think inverted hovers were more luck than anything.I have spoken to Steve at Kiteworld and he should hsve some full vent by the end of the month(fingers crossed).So I have to wait to get my hands on my own rev.All the best
All the best

Daz

#32 JeffD

JeffD
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

I think good advice to anyone who is looking to get the widest windrange possible is to upgrade to race rods and get both 50 and 90# linesets.

Whatever kite you get this will extend the range considerably.

#33 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:51 AM

[quote name='JeffD' date='Jun 8 2009, 03:25 AM' post='52187']
I think good advice to anyone who is looking to get the widest windrange possible is to upgrade to race rods and get both 50 and 90# linesets.

Whatever kite you get this will extend the range considerably.

[/quote.]
As and when I get the kite it comes with 80# lines and handles.But I am going to make up a 60 and 100# line sets.Most of the guys/girls are all using 100# line sets that I fly with.
All the best

Daz

#34 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

As and when I get the kite it comes with 80# lines and handles.But I am going to make up a 60 and 100# line sets.Most of the guys/girls are all using 100# line sets that I fly with.

I wouldn't be in any great rush to do that if I were you, I'm not saying don't, I am just saying don't be in any great rush. It's no coincidence that most RTF packages come with 80ft lines, it’s a great length to learn on, go much shorter and the window shrinks and the kite starts to get very lively for a beginner and if you go longer the window gets bigger but feedback is reduced and control becomes less immediate. Also for every 10ft you add to your lines you add 20ft to “the walk of shame” 10ft there and 10ft back.

I’ve no doubt you will want 100ft lines to fly with your mates but you won’t need those until you have a good few weeks experience under your belt. By that time I’m guessing you will be looking for a vented kite and if you buy from Kiteworld again you will have another 80ft line set, one to keep and one to cut down. I wouldn’t recommend 60’s though 60, 80, 100 is a little unimaginative, how about something like a 50/30 split to end up with four options.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#35 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

I wouldn't be in any great rush to do that if I were you, I'm not saying don't, I am just saying don't be in any great rush. It's no coincidence that most RTF packages come with 80ft lines, it's a great length to learn on, go much shorter and the window shrinks and the kite starts to get very lively for a beginner and if you go longer the window gets bigger but feedback is reduced and control becomes less immediate. Also for every 10ft you add to your lines you add 20ft to "the walk of shame" 10ft there and 10ft back.

I've no doubt you will want 100ft lines to fly with your mates but you won't need those until you have a good few weeks experience under your belt. By that time I'm guessing you will be looking for a vented kite and if you buy from Kiteworld again you will have another 80ft line set, one to keep and one to cut down. I wouldn't recommend 60's though 60, 80, 100 is a little unimaginative, how about something like a 50/30 split to end up with four options.

Hey there
You sound like a seasoned rev vetran and I will listen to any and all advice given to me.Thanks for your help I think it will be just the 80ft lines(AND LOTS OF SPACE) until I get used to flying.once again thanks

Daz
All the best

Daz

#36 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

and I wilHey there
You sound like a seasoned rev vetran ...........

No not really, I've been flying Rev's for about four years now but I do know what I'm talking about, I've had some great teachers, I share a home field with some of the UK's top fliers.

Oh, and come and say "Hi" on Sunday at Blackheath, I won't be far from The Flying Squad.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#37 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:29 AM

Oh, and come and say "Hi" on Sunday at Blackheath, I won't be far from The Flying Squad.

As long as you're buying the beers we don't mind!

See you all on the heath and stop by if you want to try the New Blasts. But if you don't mind I would like to try them first. There were so many people flying them last weekend that I only got my hands on the handles for about 3 minutes. Still, plenty of time to understand how to re-write the new ballet to make the most of the mad change of pace and direction. Now, how do I choreograph that float........

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#38 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

With a bit of luck I will be there on saturday.I hope to catch up with a few of you
All the best

Daz

#39 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

I saw you flying Saturday " NEED LOTS OF SPACE" I don't think so ! ;)

#40 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

I saw you flying Saturday " NEED LOTS OF SPACE" I don't think so ! ;)

you are toooooooooooooo kind.Should get my rev friday.Are you going to blackheath at the weekend.
All the best

Daz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users