Photo

Newbie in the US: What's the best place to buy online?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Windbag

Windbag

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hey all.

However, I somehow remembered Revs again, and after some pondering, I just have to get one.

Not totally sure, but after reading here, I think I'll most likely be getting the 1.5 SLE. Thing is, I live in North Idaho, USA, and there are just literally no kite shops within 250 miles, so I'm forced to getting one online.

Is there any particular site you guys really respect/would recommend?

Thanks much.

Justin, I've only been into Rev's since last November. After seeing what they could do at several Kite festivals I knew I had to have one. The input on this forum helped me decide on a Rev B as it had two frame sets to fly in a broader wind range. The next choice was where to buy as Coos Bay has no kite shops.

I bought my standard Rev B from Con Engels at Windstar Kites & have been very pleased with his fast shipping & after sale support. His price is very reasonable & he included a line set & free T-shirt for new customers.

Web page http://windstarkites...ionB_Series.htm

A few months ago when my beach winds stayed at 10-20 MPH I decided I had to have a vented B & I went back to Con & have been very pleased. The price is close to what you have stated you're willing to spend.

Good luck with your decision & welcome to the addiction. B)
Have fun, Ray.

#22 Justin Horne

Justin Horne
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:40 AM

Wow guys. Lots of text, and I don't have time to reply to it all individually... :D
Still, basically, what I'm gathering is for now I should go with a 1.5 3 wrap, Laser Pro lines. I don't feel the need to spring for a B right now, as I don't REALLY see myself getting another sail/whatever in the next time at all. It would be at least 1.5 or 2 years, so...
So for now, is this what I want, assuming I choose the "Standard" rod insted of the SLE?

http://www.awindofch...tegory_Code=rev
Also, is it a yes or no on the vented? I'll say that when have wind, it's usually pretty consistent and over about 5 mph or so.

Thanks again guys. Again, no time to respond individually, but I read it all, and took it into consideration. I agree about the EXP, seems a little too low end for me, when the performance/cost change is so dramatic in the next step up, apparently.

#23 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:28 AM

Still, basically, what I'm gathering is for now I should go with a 1.5 3 wrap, Laser Pro lines. I don't feel the need to spring for a B right now, as I don't REALLY see myself getting another sail/whatever in the next time at all. It would be at least 1.5 or 2 years, so...

You need to bookmark this particular post for yourself and revisit it a year from now. You'll laugh. Seriously! I can recall saying nearly the exact same thing myself 2 years ago. Revs are like doritos, you can't have just one.

On the Vented: If you fly inland, usually that means winds are light... so go with a full sail or midvent. If you live in a windy place with 10-15mph being the lower end of your winds...I'd go with a vented. Looks like you found the right place to purchase from. :)

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#24 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

You need to bookmark this particular post for yourself and revisit it a year from now. You'll laugh. Seriously! I can recall saying nearly the exact same thing myself 2 years ago. Revs are like doritos, you can't have just one.

On the Vented: If you fly inland, usually that means winds are light... so go with a full sail or midvent. If you live in a windy place with 10-15mph being the lower end of your winds...I'd go with a vented. Looks like you found the right place to purchase from. :)

Giggle. Just 9 short months and 4 revs ago.....
And saving for yet another...

Word of warning (or is it encouragement? :-). Don't team fly with others. Then it *really* gets addicting.

#25 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

First touched quad handles one ago year last Saturday. That's seven Revs ago. And, I only wanted one!!!

Cheers,
Tom

#26 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

Yup, it is a addiction. I have been flying for just under a year, and I have four. The only thing that has kept me from acquiring more is lack of funds. It is so bad, I have even played with the idea of selling the old Camaro......

Attached Thumbnails

• camaro1.jpg

LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#27 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

Just one? But what would I put in all those empty sleeves in the Rev bag I wasn't gonna buy :blink:

Edited by kitecowboy, 03 June 2009 - 10:06 AM.

Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#28 Justin Horne

Justin Horne
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

Haha, fine, fine. Well, for now, I'm sticking with my claim of only one. I guess we'll see, right? :)

Bearing in mind that I don't really, at this time, see myself getting another, is a non vented 1.5 SLE, with the 3wrap rods, like on Awindofchange, a solid choice for me then, specifically?

Thanks again. Man, I knew they were different from each other, but had no idea that the different sails and rods were that dramatically different, glad I asked. I even read the "What's the difference" thread, and didn't know it mattered so much.

#29 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

Haha, fine, fine. Well, for now, I'm sticking with my claim of only one. I guess we'll see, right? :)

Bearing in mind that I don't really, at this time, see myself getting another, is a non vented 1.5 SLE, with the 3wrap rods, like on Awindofchange, a solid choice for me then, specifically?

Thanks again. Man, I knew they were different from each other, but had no idea that the different sails and rods were that dramatically different, glad I asked. I even read the "What's the difference" thread, and didn't know it mattered so much.

That's a very good choice for a single kite with a single frame set. Hope you enjoy it!!!

Cheers,
Tom

#30 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

excellent choice. next time I go thru Post falls we'll have to fly a bit. B)
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#31 Kite Krusader

Kite Krusader

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

I started with a Revolution 1.5 SLE, and I would say it is a good kite to "learn" with its more forgiveing, and is a good kite to start with to see if you want to upgrade later.

I have been flying Revolution for two years, and I own two revs 1.5 SLE, and a Revolution B "night"

I have been flying DLK for 14 years, and I'm always looking for something different, and got into
Parafoils, and Revolution Kites.

I enjoy the Revolution kites I'm always learning something new everytime I fly.
Your friendly neighborhood kite flyer.

Posted Image Posted Image

#32 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

Wow, nice, looks like they now offer regular 3-wrap as an option! Wish it were that way a year ago.

Spending the extra $30 for a Race Frame upgrade might be worth it too, but then, there's always the pleasure of having not spent more than $235 on a kite......
kairusan

#33 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hey Walt, sell the Camero, it is old after all. Just think of all the shiny new Revs you could buy.

Justin, good choie, that full sail with the 3 wraps will do you well for a while.

I started with an EXP, that is only 16 Revs ago. See how we all count time even in Revs.

Anyone going to open a book on how many Justin has in 12 Months time?

#34 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

Bearing in mind that I don't really, at this time, see myself getting another, is a non vented 1.5 SLE, with the 3wrap rods...

That seems like a good choice to me too. If you find the winds are a little too light to get the kite off the ground, you can add a set of 2 wrap or Race rods later on.

If you really get in to it, later on you'll want a vented kite too. But that's all you really need to handle all wind conditions: 1 vented and 1 non-vented, a couple spar sets, 1 pair of handles and one set of lines.

Be sure to post back to the forum with your progress and questions. Welcome to the fun.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#35 Justin Horne

Justin Horne
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

excellent choice. next time I go thru Post falls we'll have to fly a bit. B)

Sounds good, I know a few good places.

I'm placing my order tonight, thanks guys!

#36 Justin Horne

Justin Horne
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:14 AM

Sounds good, I know a few good places.

I'm placing my order tonight, thanks guys!

Well, the order's placed! :)

3 wrap, non vented:
Posted Image

Looks great to me. It looks like it'll get here by next weekend, hopefully. I'll post back when it is. Thanks guys!

#37 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

3 wrap, non vented:
Posted Image

Looks great to me. It looks like it'll get here by next weekend, hopefully. I'll post back when it is. Thanks guys!

Nice choice, may it be the first of many. ;)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#38 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

Now we can truly say, "Welcome to the Darkside." :big_starwars:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#39 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

Hi everyone,

Some good new we have a new brother for the family,

The Flying Squad were at Basingstoke Festival today and flying the NEW Blast (more on that later :wub: )

Luckily we had a few Rev flyers (the paper type) and after a few test flys.

We have a new brother with a Red Mid vented Baressi.

Sorry didn't warn him its addictive !

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#40 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

3 wrap, non vented:
Posted Image

Justin,

Saw the sister/brother to your kite with the same color pattern in the air this morning ... great looking kite ... you're going to love it!!!

Cheers,

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users