Slight clockwise turn

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vanornum

vanornum
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

I'm a newcomer to my EXP but I am enjoying it alot. On my last flight, I noticed that the kite really seemed to want to turn clockwise on most launches as well as during stable flight.

I searched some of the other forums and didn't find a clear answer to my question, which is -- If I've ruled out some other things, could I simply make an overhand not in my leader line and see if I could stop the slight turning tendency.

And also, which line is the "brake" line -- is that the upper or lower line of the pair?

Thanks very much in advance,

Andy

#2 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

Sounds to me that the lines are not equal, However, kite setup could also cause this.
First start by making sure the kite/ bridle was set up correctly,
Next, Lines need to be equal length. stake out the lines and pull tension and then let slack while looking down the lines, they should sag evenly, If one sags more than the others they need to be equalized. It's important with any multi line kite to have perfectly even line lengths, make sure they are EVEN. doing it in pairs is easier than all 4, at once IE: tops/ bottoms, {{{ If the kite was rotating clockwise it sounds like the top left line longer}}}. ALL 4 have to be AT LEAST within a quarter of an inch.
Bottom lines are the break lines.
I hope this helps you :)
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#3 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

It's best to do as Scotty says and make sure your lines are even. If they are close, you can tie an extra knot in the loop of sleeving to shorten a line.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

I'm a newcomer to my EXP but I am enjoying it alot. On my last flight, I noticed that the kite really seemed to want to turn clockwise on most launches as well as during stable flight.

I searched some of the other forums and didn't find a clear answer to my question, which is -- If I've ruled out some other things, could I simply make an overhand not in my leader line and see if I could stop the slight turning tendency.

And also, which line is the "brake" line -- is that the upper or lower line of the pair?

Andy

I tend to be kind of lazy when it comes to things like this. Here's what I usually do to solve the problem:

If the kite is turning clockwise, I tie a know or two in the sleeving of the bottom left line. This will shorten that line a bit bringing the kite back to a streight flying direction, however, this method, given severally uses, will eventually make the break lines (bottom lines) shorter than the top. The only real problem with this is that if you switch to an other line set, you will have to set it up with more break (bottom lines pulled back)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

the wind gods have a way of teaching important lessons ... at least it seems that way to me
i have come to learn that similar to a guitar or car.. if not tuned correctly ... flying the REV can be a frustrating experience , with that nagging feeling that you are doing things right but the kite does not respond as it should
i now check my bridle and line length on a regular basis ... lazer pro lines are not supposed to " stretch " but logic dictataes that all material stetches even if it only slightly... plus who ever tied the lines orginally may have a bad day or technique... an inch difference can affect flying ( i have line sets that have been up to 2 inchs different in length)
i have tied knots in the sleeving as a quick fix also but ultimately i think it is real guess as to whether you have truly evened up your lines
i believe it is part of good practice to pay attention to this aspect of flying... now the next step is to find some one to show you how easy it is to actually retie your lines.
hmmmm....sounds like a good subject for a tutorial video ....
terry w
Posted Image

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

I obviously stand to be corrected on this, however here go's.

It is obviously best to have all lines the same length, however if there is a minor difference your brain / hands will adjust for it automaticaly.

If however you have to give one of the handles to the person stood behind you, or you run our of "twist of the wrist" when you are trying to hold a hover the yes the lines do need sorting out.

Every once in a while I find a stable(ish) hover then put the handles together alongside ach other. Watch the kite to see what happens to it. Then is it turns one way or the other tie a knot in the leader to correct it.

As an example of lines, JB equalised a lineset for me at Portsmouth fest, I was most impressed that he could "feel" the difference. Of course I then flew like a master (not). Then when I did the handle line up trick the kite was stable.

Of course I put these lines on another Rev and there was a difference again.

So, presuming you have good quality lines that have little stretch in them I would think you might have a twist in the bridle that you have not noticed. However if the kite is flying OK till you line the handles up as a test it might well be that the lines have altered and need some attention.

And yes, the brake lines are the bottom lines. Have you tried the trick of making your own handle leaders up yet so that you can adjust the amount of brake you play with??

Best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

#7 Windbag

Windbag

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

On my last flight, I noticed that the kite really seemed to want to turn clockwise on most launches as well as during stable flight.

If I've ruled out some other things, could I simply make an overhand not in my leader line and see if I could stop the slight turning tendency.

Andy

Andy, do your handles have a top leader with multiple knots about 1" apart? My Rev B handles have about 8 knots on the top leaders & 2 knots on the bottom leaders.

If I get to the field & find that the kite doesn't take off with the leading edge (LE) about horizontal I adjust the knots of the top leader. You say the kite turns CW so it means the upper right line isn't pulling as hard as the top left line. Land the kite & move the larkshead knot on your right upper line 1 knot closer to the handle. Fly again to see if the LE is about horizontal. Adjust as necessary.

I find I've flown several times with adjustments on the knots before I finally take the time to adjust the lengths of all my lines so they're the same. The lines seem to stretch differently over time flying.

Yes, an overhand knot in the sleeving will shorten the line but probably only about 1/4" for each knot.

The bottom lines are the brake lines. I usually fly with the bottom lines on the first knot closest to the handle & do all adjusting with the knot position on the top leader. I start with the top lines out on the knot farthest from the handle. Launch the kite inverted & land it LE up. See how hard it is to launch LE up. A step back & a hard pull should get the kite in the air -- if not move in one knot on the top leaders & try again. When you are able to get the kite in the air with a step back & a hard pull you'll find it's a lot easier to fly inverted & fly in reverse. The kite also won't pull so hard to drag you down the field in higher winds.

Please post back with more questions as you get in more flying time.

Good luck! ;)
Have fun, Ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users