27 replies to this topic

#1 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

I have suggested (slightly madly) the possibility of a team flight with 100 fliers. While a grid of 10 x 10 may not be entirely practical 2 x 10 x 5 or 4 x 5 x 5 may actually be quite straight forward.

The Olympic event takes place 27 July-12 Aug 2012, 29 Aug-9 Sept 2012 is the Paralympic Games.

I wonder if we could get 'someone' to put together a 'proposal' in the light of these dates. Obviously doing an event simultaneously with the Olympic events would be 'very' expensive.

In the meantime there has been talk about the event at Berck next year.

Please let me know thoughts on either possibility.

Thanks

Felix

#2 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

WILLDWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
25th anniversary 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#3 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

2011 ..25th edition of berck festival !!!

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#4 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Wow Felix, I will have to keep my eye on this thread. If it comes together at any point I would love to be part of it. Berck certainly is a good location with the sheer number of teams that attend.

Mark

#5 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

WILLDWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
25th anniversary 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang! You just *had* to throw down woman!!!

Well, I have to say the Wood was a heck of a lot of fun, and I can't wait till next year's event. My friends and family are looking at me as if I'm some sort of four-eyed geek or something. Wait. I am!

Now how do we go about getting even *more* Rev flyers there for a huge grid???

#6 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

I have suggested (slightly madly) the possibility of a team flight with 100 fliers. While a grid of 10 x 10 may not be entirely practical 2 x 10 x 5 or 4 x 5 x 5 may actually be quite straight forward.

I just love it when someone has a vision to pursue!

Learning from the Portsmouth/Bristol 2008 experiences: I suggest choosing a venue with highly predictable wind patterns ( :wacko: ) or a window of date(s). This together with defined operational parameters (e.g. minimum 6 mph steady/average wind, maximum pulsed gust 12mph) to manage risks and - invariably - the range of flying experience that would present. Two magic words: risk management - there's an awful lot of string involved.... :P

Berck would have the advantage of its duration, but would there be enough space free from other activity for practice and performance?

Re: Wildwood - well, from this side of the pond there is the expense thing - but go for it guys, you've got the planning time.

[On a side issue: I can't wait to see how many posts and views this thread will attract if it runs right through to 2012! :lol: ]
Andy

#7 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

Learning from the Portsmouth/Bristol 2008 experiences: I suggest choosing a venue with highly predictable wind patterns ( :wacko: ) or a window of date(s). This together with defined operational parameters (e.g. minimum 6 mph steady/average wind, maximum pulsed gust 12mph) to manage risks and - invariably - the range of flying experience that would present. Two magic words: risk management - there's an awful lot of string involved.... :P

Berck would have the advantage of its duration, but would there be enough space free from other activity for practice and performance?

Re: Wildwood - well, from this side of the pond there is the expense thing - but go for it guys, you've got the planning time.

[On a side issue: I can't wait to see how many posts and views this thread will attract if it runs right through to 2012! :lol: ]

I am relieved to know that someone else 'gets the picture'.

A little madness from 1993 goes forwards. Everyone has to be 'on board' and formally sign up for the venture. I take no responsibility whatever...

The practice/performance issue is of particular interest to me as I know that some 'more experienced'* fliers have expressed impatience at the time taken to get things moving. I think that they should 'reflect carefully' regarding their attitude in such circumstances.

<grins>

Thanks

Felix

Edit typo experience'd'*

Edited by Felix Mottram, 30 May 2009 - 04:40 AM.

#8 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

<snip>

There is another aspect to consider. (the pun may be intentional)

Imagine a line of kite fliers placed one in front of the other, each about 10ft / 3m downwind of the previous one. If they all launch their similar kites each one could reach its maximum height without interfering with the one behind it. They would form a line at a similar height and would all be in the same airflow. There could be some turbulence but if a kite dropped it would drop into clear air.

Now let us consider the view from the kite fliers perspective if there were parallel lines of fliers to the left and right. In this scenario if everyone is holding the kite at a similar altitude there is potentially no limit to the number of kites that could be involved.

<grins>

Felix

#9 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:50 AM

Imagine a line of kite fliers placed one in front of the other, each about 10ft / 3m downwind of the previous one. If they all launch their similar kites each one could reach its maximum height without interfering with the one behind it. They would form a line at a similar height and would all be in the same airflow. There could be some turbulence but if a kite dropped it would drop into clear air.

Now let us consider the view from the kite fliers perspective if there were parallel lines of fliers to the left and right. In this scenario if everyone is holding the kite at a similar altitude there is potentially no limit to the number of kites that could be involved.

<grins>

Felix

So just who is gonna call any moves if "there is potentially no limit to the number of kites that could be involved." where would you stand ??? :huh:
GARY

Posted Image

#10 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:03 AM

So just who is gonna call any moves if "there is potentially no limit to the number of kites that could be involved." where would you stand ???

Did I have to spell the smiley?

I was, of course, remembering pictures of the opening event of the last Olympics...

I do not expect that we will get 'that many' fliers for a few years yet!

Felix

#11 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

<grins>

Felix

Suuuweeeeeeet!!!
Sounds great....
Something to truly consider being a part of!!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#12 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:54 AM

Now this IS a Mega team B)

#13 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:53 AM

Now THAT'S what I would call interactive flying!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#14 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

With that big of a picture, we will need 101. The one is the caller, who should not be flying. Also, serious consideration of a wireless mic for the caller is in order.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#15 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:57 AM

<grins>

Felix

Felix,
If each row of fliers [from front to back] used longer line sets than the row in front of them, then the kites might not only fly in cleaner air (decreased wake turbulence from the row(s) behind), but also form a better looking picture in the sky.

For those having trouble following this line of thought, draw a picture of it from a side view.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#16 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:35 AM

Felix,
If each row of fliers [from front to back] used longer line sets than the row in front of them, then the kites might not only fly in cleaner air (decreased wake turbulence from the row(s) behind), but also form a better looking picture in the sky.

For those having trouble following this line of thought, draw a picture of it from a side view.

Yes, but I envisage all the kites flying in a plane, parallel to the ground, eventually, despite the turbulence.

At Portsmouth, with 47, turbulence was not an issue as I recall.

The place to view is 'with the fliers' as they 'need' the clearest picture in order to co-ordinate the activity. <grins> Different line lengths would be a variable too far in my view. EDIT <Think of what would be happening in rotations around the circumference of the multi layered balls?>

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram, 10 June 2009 - 05:37 AM.

#17 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:24 AM

Wow Felix, I will have to keep my eye on this thread. If it comes together at any point I would love to be part of it. Berck certainly is a good location with the sheer number of teams that attend.

Mark

Mark,

Please see the dates for Berck AND Cervia:-

<<<Ummm! Did I miss something? <grins>

I would not admit to 'planning' an event. I am hoping that others have it in hand and will announce their intentions soon...
so that everyone will be able to plan accordingly.

Berck is from 10th - 18th April 2010, Cervia from 23rd April - 2nd May 2010 so maybe American and Japanese parties would consider attending both events?

Maybe this should be in another thread?>>>

From the Margate 2009 thread...

Felix

#18 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:44 AM

used longer line sets than the row in front of them

For those having trouble following this line of thought...

Very punny Scott! :lol:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#19 Tine

Tine
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

What a beautiful sight!!! My heart was singing and longing for the [good] old times. Although, it's 18 years since I last jumped, I was right back there... :wub:

Thank you for reminding me - Tine

#20 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

Mark,

Please see the dates for Berck AND Cervia:-

<<<Ummm! Did I miss something? <grins>

I would not admit to 'planning' an event. I am hoping that others have it in hand and will announce their intentions soon...
so that everyone will be able to plan accordingly.

Berck is from 10th - 18th April 2010, Cervia from 23rd April - 2nd May 2010 so maybe American and Japanese parties would consider attending both events?

Maybe this should be in another thread?>>>

From the Margate 2009 thread...

Felix

Hi Felix, Holiday booked for the week

Bit like the Rev owners count, I make that 4 (we are taking son's aren't we <grins>)

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users