21 replies to this topic

#1 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:13 AM

Third Rotary Kite Festival at Exmouth this weekend :)

Should be another good weekend full of all things kite - including the esoteric art of painting with revs, and the Flying Squad (well the ones who have been banned from leaving the country)

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

Just got back from the 'wezt zumtree'. May find driving all the way back to exmouth a bit too much for my frail old body. Or then again......
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 WarpSpeed

WarpSpeed
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi Davd,

we will be coming across on Friday evening from Southampton looking forward to meeting up with you again.

Forecast is Hot and Sunny with sea breezes(really), should be good !

Third Rotary Kite Festival at Exmouth this weekend :)

Should be another good weekend full of all things kite - including the esoteric art of painting with revs, and the Flying Squad (well the ones who have been banned from leaving the country)

God does not deduct the hours from a person's life that they spend flying a Kite....

#4 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:22 AM

webcam from the local Kitesurf shop looking out towards the festival site. Looks like a giant inflatable slide has been installed upwind of where the forecast breeze is due to come from! Adds an extra challenge to the arena demos B)

Off now to help local schoolkids enjoy flying a kite. Already shown a budding rev flier that it's easier to put the sticks on the back of the sail. :)

#5 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:52 AM

webcam from the local Kitesurf shop looking out towards the festival site. Looks like a giant inflatable slide has been installed upwind of where the forecast breeze is due to come from! Adds an extra challenge to the arena demos B)

Off now to help local schoolkids enjoy flying a kite. Already shown a budding rev flier that it's easier to put the sticks on the back of the sail. :)

Or this one is fun,, you can watch people getting parking tickets :)

http://www.exmouthcam.co.uk/webcam/

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:52 AM

You can even look inside the shop.

Cool that these are video rather than stop frame type cameras.

Looks like it is a nice Day.

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

Or this one is fun,, you can watch people getting parking tickets :)

There's nothing funny about that :angry: :pinch: :censored: :akuma: Damn parking attendants. ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#8 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

If we go, I'll have to make sure I bring Martine and her 'We'll park THERE!' little blue badge!
No problems getting it up - It's using it properly that's the problem!

#9 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

On our way, though we have to stop off to see someone on the trip down...

ETA: Sometime after lunch!

#10 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:26 AM

Well, that wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped...

Ok, so the boys did a good job in tricky conditions, but there was no room for public flying... With the big single strings up in gusty winds, it was like threading a needle on a roller coaster! Fun for a while, but ultimately frustrating!

Still, met a nice couple who were asking about where to get a Rev. It appears that all the kite shops in the west country have gone bust, and the surf shops only sell power kites of which he's had enough. Still, we found a few sites to fly at on the long way home!

Southampton Festival next!

#11 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Great time had by ALL, Steve Matchett, Geoff & Dave Ellison were all starts. Especially Steve for leading the team.

We were filmed by the BBC so waiting to see if we ended on cutting room floor.

more later.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#12 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:56 AM

The local Rotary club organisers did a superb job again. They're not kite fliers but really listen and respond to the fliers feedback - the end result was a top small kite festival, blessed with fab weather all weekend. It's not a big site as Mr Git commented but they make good use of the limited space and put on a great all round show.

Some fine relaxed flying on Friday afternoon and evening - with great music from Joey and the Lips soul band. Excellent demos by the teams on Sat and Sun (lots of sun!)
Thanks for the opportunity to make up the numbers with the Flying Squad A team (the B team having lost the toss and been forced to go to Portugal ;))

I also kept up the UK rev painting tradition - producing "masterpieces" :huh: like this.

09_03_27_093.jpg

A well known UK dualline flier (who asked to remain anonymous!) took this one home to get it framed. Bizarre indeed.

The festival got a 2 minute piece on the BBC local news last night. Unfortunately Simon they did not get your "good" side - in fact they did not get any of you! Some nice shots with the Bazzer Twisters in the background, Steve Matchet's backside and a close up of Rev handles and lines working away.

#13 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:34 AM

I also kept up the UK rev painting tradition

Easy enough to achieve, it's a simple "masking" technique. :P
1 of the 47.

#14 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

Easy enough to achieve, it's a simple "masking" technique. :P

indeed ...... I look forward to seeing your efforts (Rev 1, 75' lines, 3-15 mph)

#15 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

Quite fancy one of those in the office. Do you do commissions? Money to charity perhaps?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#16 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Do you do commissions?

abstracts only..... no pet portraits .... or pink

However I can only accept one order a day. Todays not your day... and tomorrow's not looking good either

#17 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

indeed ...... I look forward to seeing your efforts (Rev 1, 75' lines, 3-15 mph)

You'll need to lend me your rev 1, oh and I'll insist on using purple paint thanks ;)
1 of the 47.

#18 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:20 AM

abstracts only..... no pet portraits .... or pink

However I can only accept one order a day. Todays not your day... and tomorrow's not looking good either

Was going to get Mrs J a tattoo for her birthday ... could you do that??

#19 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Was going to get Mrs J a tattoo for her birthday ... could you do that??

depends on the size of target :blushing:

#20 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

The local Rotary club organisers did a superb job again. They're not kite fliers but really listen and respond to the fliers feedback - the end result was a top small kite festival, blessed with fab weather all weekend. It's not a big site as Mr Git commented but they make good use of the limited space and put on a great all round show.

Some fine relaxed flying on Friday afternoon and evening - with great music from Joey and the Lips soul band. Excellent demos by the teams on Sat and Sun (lots of sun!)
Thanks for the opportunity to make up the numbers with the Flying Squad A team (the B team having lost the toss and been forced to go to Portugal ;) )

I also kept up the UK rev painting tradition - producing "masterpieces" :huh: like this.

09_03_27_093.jpg

A well known UK dualline flier (who asked to remain anonymous!) took this one home to get it framed. Bizarre indeed.

The festival got a 2 minute piece on the BBC local news last night. Unfortunately Simon they did not get your "good" side - in fact they did not get any of you! Some nice shots with the Bazzer Twisters in the background, Steve Matchet's backside and a close up of Rev handles and lines working away.

So just goes to show, land make a shape and hold for 5 seconds... Little tip for teams at Festivals, TV crews like the closing shot, or as they say on my shoots the Money Shot. That way they can put credits and the like over them.

Excellent advert for Rev & Bazzer either way. Ok so BBC advert for Rev, no whats the going rate and where do we send the bill B)

Steve, Geoff, TC & Dave did an excellent job over the weekend, the Family should be proud of those boys!

As for me I ham'd it up for the TV & chatted to thousands of people about kites all weekend. :P

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users