• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sthazza

sthazza
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hi gang,

Im new to the forum so thought I would introduce myself and ask a question (or maybe two). My name is James and I'm from Hertfordshire in the UK. I've flown kites as a kid (29 now) and have been flying sports kites (deltas) on and off for the last 10 years ish. I've never really got into the whole pulling off stunts thing but have really enjoyed just basically messing around and doing freestyle stuff. To give you an idea my current collection includes a Prism Quantum and Flashlight, a Flexifoil Psycho and Stacker 6 plus a few others. I have recently been contemplating getting a more advanced delta to fly but have become a little disillusioned with what I can do with them other than flat out speed.

I went to Dunstable Downs yesterday, I've been lots of times before including the festivals, and was intrigued by a group who were flying Rev's. There were two reasons it fascinated me, one was because the wind was so light, I was having trouble getting the flashlight up which is ultralight, yet the revs were flying almost the whole time I was there, and secondly because the amount of control and variation of moves which can be made by just moving the handles slightly was fantastic. I sat down and had some lunch in my little shelter with the intention of going over to the group (who were dong some synchro flying if this was you) but when I turned round they had gone.

I am basically really interested in having a go and so would like some advice as to what would be the best rev for me to get, think I will be able to pick up the basics fairly quickly with my experience and no disrespect but there was a young lad who could only have been 7 or 8 who was doing pretty well so I would hope I would be ok. Obviously I dont want to grow out of the kite too quickly and I may barking up the wrong tree but I was thinking maybe something I could get different rods for so as it would be more versatile to different conditions etc.

All help is much appreciated, thanks in advance,

James

#2 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

Welcome Sthazza to the dark side,

Search the forum for your answers :
http://www.revkites....hp?showforum=27

Answers enough.....

Good luck and have fun !!

Bye

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#3 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

I suspect you were watching one of our UK teams, flying squad, and their new ringger, Luca (sp). Next time you are up at funstable you should say hello. I am sure they would be only too pleased to give you a go and to offer advice. Ask for either Bob, Simon, stephen, Gary, hezz,........ ;)

Have a look at a B series as a place to start IMHO. For dunstable I would go with the vented personally. You get two frame sets with it. Akternatively maybe a semi-vented b series with a "race frame" would offer a pretty wide wind range One of the DD guys or gals will let you try one I am sure ;)

Edited by Sailor99, 25 May 2009 - 12:36 PM.

Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#4 sthazza

sthazza
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Sorry to sound stupid, I assume you are talking about a 1.5 Baressi Series, havent quite got my head round all the models yet,

James

#5 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

Sorry to sound stupid, I assume you are talking about a 1.5 Baressi Series, havent quite got my head round all the models yet,

James

Hi James,

Green Quechua by any chance?

Yes correct kite, I think locally Kiteworld is your nearest dealer.

As for the boy, it was Daniel and he's 6. The wind was zero most of the day, and the beer tent was calling to GT (Joke on here, you'll pic it up soon enough!)

Couple of festivals coming up soon, Exemouth this weekend, Then Basingstoke (with Smashy & Nicey), Blackheath, the in July Dunstable has its own festival.

Bob, Keith, Gary the rev, Woody, Chris & Andy might be up there this weekend. As with most flyers they will answer most questions.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#6 sthazza

sthazza
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

Close, the green quecha was next to me, flying a flexifoil sting as I recall. As you would have looked down the slope I was to the right in a purple shelter, flying a purple and white Prism Flashlight (when I could).

I went a bit higher on the age but thats encouraged me even more now, your right about the wind it was non-existent most of the time but it was a scorcher and nice to be out.

If I can get down there I will, the festival is marked in the diary already,

James

#7 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi James,

Welcome. If you like a bit of fun JB is raffling a full sail and a vented B series on Kitelife forum. If you search on here he put a link to it.

Worth a go, you never know, you might win, then you would be set up well for Revs.

#8 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

James

Yes that was us The Flying Squad and that small chap was infact Daniel Hoath (his dad flys revs sometimes) you should have come over and said hello :)

Edited by play365, 26 May 2009 - 03:20 AM.

GARY

Posted Image

#9 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

Yes that was us The Flying Squad and that small chap was intact Daniel Hoath (his dad he revs sometimes) you should have come over and said hello

Glad to hear Daniel was intact, always worry when he falls apart :lol:

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#10 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

:)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#11 sthazza

sthazza
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for all the answers thus far. I've been reading through all the pinned posts and having a general look around, think I've started to get my head around the sails and rods available. Im going to go out on a limb here and see what you lot think of this as a starting point, please let me know if I've got it completely wrong.

I'm thinking of going for a B series vented, which comes with the 3 and 4 wrap frames which allow for 3 different setups. Any B series/1.5 rods would fit the sail, I think, so for the lower end of the wind range in the short term I was thinking a set of race rods. Further down the line I could then go for different sails (standard/mid vent) and the remaining rods sets.

Please dont think I'm trying to run before I can walk, this would all be over a length of time but I'm just trying to make a sound financial decision, but get the best range of winds in the mean time, with the rods being well priced I figured I could kit the vented out with a all the sets of rods as I go along and then look at whether it may even be best just to buy the standard sail standalone later on.

Thanks again for the advice,

James

#12 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

I'm thinking of going for a B series vented, which comes with the 3 and 4 wrap frames which allow for 3 different setups. Any B series/1.5 rods would fit the sail, I think, so for the lower end of the wind range in the short term I was thinking a set of race rods. Further down the line I could then go for different sails (standard/mid vent) and the remaining rods sets.

Hi James

Well you did say you were at Dunstable on Sunday and therein lies the issue. There was very little wind and I can guarantee that vented would not have flown reliably. I'd set up my 'B' series full sail kite with the 2 wrap rods, but decided not to put the lines out until the wind picked up....

I'd suggest full sail and vented 'B' options as a start (if you can afford both) - this will cover the wind ranges you're likely to see *most* of the time. But there will be days when the wind is strong and The Flying Squad will be flying "tea bags" - sails with many holes cut to decrease the pull and increase control - and days (like Sunday) when it is a bit light for us mere mortals. I did get the vented 'B' first (also had a regular SLE in full sail), but you may also notice the pull on your wallet to get a matching set fairly soon! ;)

..anyway do head over and say 'hello' next time.
Andy

#13 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

A vented B set + Race rods would be good. You still need a reasonable wind though.

A full sail B might be your better choice. However there are always going to be those awkward Days when neither of the set ups would suit.

With the full sail and both rods in the leading edge you should be good up to about 20mph, down to whatever you can manage with just the 2 wrap set.

Dont forget you will need at least one lineset as well.

Still recon it is worth risking at least one ticket in that JB raffle.

Best of luck, if you can catch the guys at Dunstable you are WELL on the way. Always best to try B4 you buy. I challenge you to walk away from them without having a go on at least one set of handles :-)

#14 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

James this is Ben from Revolution and I just want to welcome you to the Family, all the rest the Family will direct you
but never hesitate to ask me anything...... Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

#15 sthazza

sthazza
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

Cool, thanks

#16 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi James, I was one of the Flying Squad up there on Sunday, next time you see us please come over and say hi! We're a friendly bunch B)

(Although most of us will be either be in Portugal, or Exeter this weekend coming, then Basingstoke & Blackheath so you might not see us there for a while!)

The secret to low wind flying is ultra-light kit, we were flying the ultra light team kites with either race rods or 2-wrap, and 50lb lines. The other secret to low-wind flying is knowing when to give up and go for beer :lol: There really was not a lot of it around on Sunday!! (wind, not beer! hehe)

But you should definitely go on Sunday 19th July for the Dunstable Downs Kite Festival!

Hezz

Edited by Hezz, 28 May 2009 - 04:39 AM.

#17 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

<snip>
The secret to low wind flying is ultra-light kit, we were flying the ultra light team kites with either race rods or 3-wrap, and 50lb lines.
<snip>

The secret to low wind flying may be a bit more involved than 'ultra-light kit' <grins>

The air may not be moving horizontally, it may be rising and this can be quite forcible and 'ultra-light kit' may be inadequate. If the air is rising this will be a local effect and the air drawn in may come from any point of the compass.

The best place to position the kite may then switch from any point on the compass in the centre of the directional window to as near vertical as you can maintain in order to accommodate changes in direction. It is very much a matter of 'feel'. It may very well not be possible to perform team manoeuvres with a large number of fliers in these conditions but if you are fortunate to be flying with skilled pilots it can be fantastic to improvise and 'ride the waves'. (watch the seagulls...)

Felix

#18 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

It may very well not be possible to perform team manoeuvres with a large number of fliers in these conditions
but if you are fortunate to be flying with skilled pilots it can be fantastic to improvise and 'ride the waves'. (watch the seagulls...)

Simon explained this was normal to drop off flyers during lighter wind conditions,
eg Berck, your son sat and watched you riding the waves ;)
1 of the 47.

#19 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:37 AM

Hi James, I was one of the Flying Squad up there on Sunday, next time you see us please come over and say hi! We're a friendly bunch B)

(Although most of us will be either be in Portugal, or Exeter this weekend coming, then Basingstoke & Blackheath so you might not see us there for a while!)

The secret to low wind flying is ultra-light kit, we were flying the ultra light team kites with either race rods or 3-wrap, and 50lb lines. The other secret to low-wind flying is knowing when to give up and go for beer :lol: There really was not a lot of it around on Sunday!! (wind, not beer! hehe)

But you should definitely go on Sunday 19th July for the Dunstable Downs Kite Festival!

Hezz

Hezz that would be 2 wrap ( Pro use ) spars lol
GARY

Posted Image

#20 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:42 AM

Hezz that would be 2 wrap ( Pro use ) spars lol

LOL Gary, never known to make a typo! :P

I thought I was using the 3-wrap at the weekend, might explain a few things then!! (I'm sure the 2-wrap is still inside my B-Series - better rescue it before Portugal this weekend! :wub:

Hezz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users