24 replies to this topic

#1 kimbo

kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get some cheap winders and sleeving kits??
Thanks

#2 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

what kind of winders i have some sleeving kits and many winders
Steve & Sherri

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get some cheap winders and sleeving kits??
Thanks

Almost any shop specializing in selling kites will have winders for sale. Sleeving kits are also available from some of them.

You can create your own sleeving setups.
The wire is easily acquired from various hobby stores or home repair type stores. For sleeving you can order specialized sleeving from kite specialty stores or take thinner Nylon or Dacron braided kite line and use it.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

Give me a call, we have sleeving kits as well as some specially wound sleeving material that we had done for us. The sleeving material is 2 colors, 25 ft long wound together on the same tube for ease. We have 4 colors total for quad line sets. 2 colors on one, 2 colors on the other.

We also carry blank Crazy 8 winders from Shanti as well as Prism winders. LPG winders are currently backordered but should be in stock within the next 2 weeks.

Hope to have the sleeving up on our website soon. As of now you need to contact our shop to order. Winders are listed.

#5 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Or use a B guitar string or high E string as a sleeving needle
GARY

Posted Image

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

.....from a steel stringed rather than a classical guitar. Bend it in half to form a 'loop'. Pass the loop, bent end first, up the sleeve. Poke the line through the loop when it comes out the other end of the sleeve. Pull the line back through the sleeve.

Anyone know of where there may be pictures. They would be much easier than words. This was one area I struggled to understand until someone showed me (it may well have been Gary - I'm not sure!)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

.....from a steel stringed rather than a classical guitar. Bend it in half to form a 'loop'. Pass the loop, bent end first, up the sleeve. Poke the line through the l

#8 Windbag

Windbag

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

Thanks

Kimbo, I went to a fishing supply store & bought 50' of 80# hollow dacron for a couple of dollars. I used a couple of feet of piano wire to make my threading tool. A pair of pliers easily bends the wire & crimps the end so it can be inserted into the dacron. Piano wire is also available from the fishing supply store as it's used to make spreaders & lures. Bend a right angle in the loose ends of the tool you've created so the dacron line doesn't slide off the end.

Here's a link to a good tutorial on sleeving your own line in case that's part of the question.
http://windstarkites...ne-Sleeving.htm

Good luck. :P
Have fun, Ray.

#9 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

I did about the same thing but while at the tackle store I got some wire leader to do the splicing with.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#10 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:24 AM

Kimbo, I went to a fishing supply store & bought 50' of 80# hollow dacron for a couple of dollars. I used a couple of feet of piano wire to make my threading tool. A pair of pliers easily bends the wire & crimps the end so it can be inserted into the dacron. Piano wire is also available from the fishing supply store as it's used to make spreaders & lures. Bend a right angle in the loose ends of the tool you've created so the dacron line doesn't slide off the end.

Here's a link to a good tutorial on sleeving your own line in case that's part of the question.
http://windstarkites...ne-Sleeving.htm

Good luck. :P

Kimbo,

That's a good tutorial that windbag posted. The only change you might consider is to run the line through the end of the sleeving and not through the side. Stick a slightly larger than normal pin (or the sleeving wire) in the end of the sleeving and then melt the end. This leaves a hole in the melted end which allows the line to go straight through the sleeving. It's a small change, but it helps make that area a little cleaner which reduces the snag points.

Cheers,
Tom

#11 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

As Tom stated, I insert the wire into the end of the sleeve, feed it all the way through so the whole sleeve is on the wire. I then melt both ends before pulling the fly line through. That way I dont have to worry about getting the flame near the fly line.
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#12 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

As Tom stated, I insert the wire into the end of the sleeve, feed it all the way through so the whole sleeve is on the wire. I then melt both ends before pulling the fly line through. That way I dont have to worry about getting the flame near the fly line.

Burning the ends is important.

I use a high "E" guitar string folded in half. A broken one was free at a music store that does repairs. Otherwise new ones start at about a buck.

Got a roll of braided line from a marine supply store for a few dollars. They use it to repair fishing nets. It's enough to last us all a lifetime. But then, when I make Lynn and I each a set of lines, it takes about 25 feet of sheathing. :huh:

Color code with a marker pen.

Edited by Jim Foster, 23 May 2009 - 08:33 AM.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#13 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:03 AM

Give me a call, we have sleeving kits as well as some specially wound sleeving material that we had done for us. The sleeving material is 2 colors, 25 ft long wound together on the same tube for ease. We have 4 colors total for quad line sets. 2 colors on one, 2 colors on the other.

Hope to have the sleeving up on our website soon. As of now you need to contact our shop to order. Winders are listed.

You can always post a quick picture of the sleeving colors Here. :)
I'd like to see them. Color coding with markers always seems to bleed.

Edited by Dano, 23 May 2009 - 11:06 AM.

#14 kimbo

kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I found some winders that I liked online.
The sleeve tips will come in handy when I want to give multiple line length flying a try.
Peace

#15 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

I agree that the markers bleed ... and, they fade ... and, they look like a redneck fix.

The power kiters really do need to have four colors ... pop one in the air with a couple of lines reversed and the flight might get very exciting. But, the basic Rev kite doesn't pull enough to make it dangerous.

I gave up on four colors and have gone to only two ... a top color and a bottom color. You'll either have the lines on the handles or larks headed together, so one set of top/bottom lines always stays together as does the second set of top/bottom lines. Which set goes on the left and which set goes on the right doesn't really matter ... you're going to check for wraps and twists before you launch and you will straighten out which handle goes in which hand at that time. But, get the top and bottom lines backwards and you've got to remove and reinstall the lines on the handles or the kite. That's discouraging. So, sleeving with one color on the top and one color on the bottom is really all that is needed to help orient your lines during set up.

Besides, it's hard enough remembering which color goes on the top and which color goes on the bottom with out having to remember where each of four different colors go.

Cheers,
Tom

#16 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

Tis a bitch getting old aint it Tom
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#17 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

Tis a bitch getting old aint it Tom

Mike,

One of my favorite bumper stickers that kept showing up around Tucson was: "Getting old isn't for wimps." Yep, getting old has it's challenges ... but, so did being a teenager.

Cheers,
Tom

#18 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Mike,

One of my favorite bumper stickers that kept showing up around Tucson was: "Getting old isn't for wimps." Yep, getting old has it's challenges ... but, so did being a teenager.

Cheers,
Tom

Gents,

Realized that that's somewhat of a wimpy answer to a valid statement. So, one more post.

It's really important to keep life and kite flying simple. With my first and only line set, I devised this complicated process of rotating top-n-bottom lines for each flight, as well as, periodic end-for-end swaps. Having all four lines labeled differently helped with that process. Now I own seven different line sets ... the complicated process fell apart ... lost track of where each line set was in the process.

I bought two of those line sets factory made and made the rest myself ... so, they had several different color schemes. I discovered that Shanti has appropriate diameter sleeving in white, white with a green stripe, and white with a black stripe ... they also have black, but it's a slightly different diameter. I bought the white and white/green, resleeved all my lines to the same two color scheme, and haven't had any problems since. I rotate top and bottom lines for a few flights on new lines, then forget about it. I also rotate the lines end-for-end once in awhile ... kind of when I think about it. My first line set now has almost a year of hard use on both grass and sand with no noticeable deterioration.

Ask Kent about the Shanti sleeving ...

Cheers,
Tom

#19 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

<snip>

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

"What you said"... I have to admit to never having reversed line sets or re-checked them after a '...' period of flying. Not saying that that is the way to go but that there is a very effective level of adaptability in setting up the kite and lines.

#20 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Agree. Havnt adjusted or rotated lines in ages. Being human and middle aged my mind introduces far more inconsistency than a few extra mm on line will! Broke a line set today though, so I guess they will end up adjusted :(
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users