Photo

Second hand rev I, T300 pro spars, 20 years old!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crunchie

crunchie
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:27 AM

I just got in contact with someone who wants to sell his old rev since he has not used it for many many years. It flew maybe 4 times, is in mint condition and... wait for this... is 20 years old meaning it was one of the first models to be produced.

It says T300 pro, does anyone have any info on this model?

Also, assuming the kite is in good condition, does it hold any collectionable value??

Here are a few pictures of the kite.

Thanks!
Crunchie

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1156_1_1.JPG
  • IMG_1158_1_1.JPG

Edited by crunchie, 20 May 2009 - 06:51 AM.

#2 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:34 AM

It says T300 pro, does anyone have any info on this model?
Also, assuming the kite is in good condition, does it hold any collectionable value??

That's a standard Rev I, which the sail will also have printed on it. The T300 refers to the Toray graphite fiber in the spars.

The only really valuable collectible from the period are the limited number of kites with the original Neos Omega name on them. If it's not a Neos Omega, there might be a minimal amount of additional value to a Rev I that says "patent pending" on it.

Otherwise, not so much.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

Will still be a cool kite to have though. Specially if it comes with the old wooden winder and clips and stuff.

Not sure if you are used to Revs or not.

Please be aware that the early Rev 1's had unequal lines. The top lines were shorter than the bottom ones, by about 6" I think if I remember right.

Easy fix, put some pigtails on the top lines if you want to use "standard" lines, I did mine at the kite, no reason why you shouldnt do it at the handles though. Then I took the easy way out and put a new bridle on it. Still fly it once in a while.

As another point of interest, if the end caps all have aluminium sleeves inside them, Lolly told me she might have made it. Now I cant think of any better reason to buy it?

Let us know how you get on.

#4 crunchie

crunchie
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

Added pictures :) Did Lolly really make this one?

Crunchie

#5 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

Now, I know what someone is going to say in a minute................
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#6 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

well if for some reason you don't want this kite please send me a message, I've been looking for one and I love the colors.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#7 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

Now, I know what someone is going to say in a minute................

oh sorry i forgot. The spars are on the wrong side
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Looking at this particular REV I it could have been made anywhere from 1989 to 1992.

From the photo I can see that the caps are made from four pieces of which one is the aluminum inserts. These were changed to single all plastic caps around 1992.

It is not clear in the photo whether the words on the front of the sail are exactly "Patent Pending" or "U.S. Patent 4,892,292". I slightly tend towards the latter.
The actual patent number started to appear on sails during 1990, probably in the latter part of the year.

I also note that it has the old bridle which had a swivel on the top bridle connectors. This requires either different upper lower line set or a change to the bridle. The bridle could be altered by adding pig tails for equal length lines, which I did to my first REV I or change out to a new bridle.

The the picture shows that the lines do not have the original winder which would have been wood. The winder was replaced by two halo spools. The handles appear to be the shorter original REV I handles. Only the REV II had shorter handles.

So to sum it up, if it has patent pending on the sail front, then it was made in 1989 or 1990. If has the patent number it was made between 1990 and 1992.

It is very possible that Lolly performed some of the work on this REV as well as both of her mother, father and brothers Joe, Dave and Jim.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users