8 replies to this topic

#1 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hi all, seeking advice please, starting to fly pair's , we have worked out a routine which we both know but would like to know how best to call the moves, ie "turn now" or "90" or "180 now", ( we have some turn's that are not 90 or 180 just to complicate thing's ) I have realised it is a good idea to try to achieve a steady caddence when calling to give my mate a little warning of a turn coming, I would also like to be able to throw in a move that is not in the set routine if the wind condition changes so what would be the best way to call that, should I call his move ie 90 up while I go 90 down, or 90 clockwise while I go 90 anti clokcwise etc. Thank's

#2 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:24 AM

Hi all, seeking advice please, starting to fly pair's , we have worked out a routine which we both know but would like to know how best to call the moves, ie "turn now" or "90" or "180 now", ( we have some turn's that are not 90 or 180 just to complicate thing's ) I have realised it is a good idea to try to achieve a steady caddence when calling to give my mate a little warning of a turn coming, I would also like to be able to throw in a move that is not in the set routine if the wind condition changes so what would be the best way to call that, should I call his move ie 90 up while I go 90 down, or 90 clockwise while I go 90 anti clokcwise etc. Thank's

This is one of those simple questions with a complicated answer.

However, the short answer is whatever works best for you. The only really important thing is that everyone in the team understands what you mean. With a pair you only need to call what your partner needs to do as you know where you are going (hopefully). This is a little harder in teams of 3 or 4 as you need to tell everyone where to go (!)

The slightly longer answer is that you have some choices. If you both know the routine then really all you need to say is "Turn" at each point the kite changes direction or performs a manouevre. This is clean and simple and means you won't lose your voice, take too long to describe the figure and won't get confused about up/down, clock or anti.

If you want to call the whole thing then you have two major choices. Describe each move part by part with directions (I prefer clock/anti-clock) then execution calls, so "180 anti, indi spot turns .....Go"

Or devise cunning names for each move then just call the move followed by the relevant number of go's. For example, "Walking Stick.....go, go, go" where each kite turns up past the back of the kite above it then across again.

There are as many solutions as there are teams/pairs so try and get out and see some and listen. Take on board the stuff that you like and ignore the rest. (the same applies to this advice) Where abouts are you? If you are in England come to a kite festival we are at and I would be happy to spend some time showing you some options. If you are in the US there are plenty of very experience fliers out there who would almost certainly do the same.

oh yes, and don't forget you are doing it to have fun!

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#3 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

Indeed, let us know your location. As Stephen says, we would all be happy to share with you. We are in Souther California!

Mark
Team Too Much Fun
http://www.lummas.com/Kites/kites.html

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

If you both know the routine then really all you need to say is "Turn" at each point the kite changes direction or performs a manouevre. This is clean and simple and means you won't lose your voice, take too long to describe the figure and won't get confused about up/down, clock or anti.

This would really be the best way. Assuming you have a routine that you both know, as you indicate, then it's just a question of hitting the timing correctly. Your verbal cues are just for keeping your moves together. Whatever word you use is fine..."go." or "now," or "turn..."
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#5 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi thankyou for the info, wish I was in California instead of Rainy Old England, I am planning to come to the Portsmouth Festival ( wonder if I can claim that trip on expenses ) in joke for the Brit's, so will watch and LISTEN to other flyers there, I currently say " turn now " with the kite's turning on the "now" which seems to tie in with what you have suggested. :)

#6 ronaldo

ronaldo
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hello friends.I'm cristiano from spain.Nice to meet you all.We have worked out a routine which we both know but would like to know how best to call the moves, ie "turn now" or "90" or "180 now",

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Hello friends.I'm cristiano from spain.Nice to meet you all.We have worked out a routine which we both know but would like to know how best to call the moves, ie "turn now" or "90" or "180 now",

Are you any relation to the famous football player?

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Here is a link to an iQuad video where you can see the fliers, see the kites, and hear the caller.

Might be of some help.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#9 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

great video Jim!!

That's a great look as to how our team functions. Keep in mind that is all made up on the fly (pause for laugh) So if your routine is planned you could in theory use less description, however it is nice to have the maneuver named before just incase of brain farts. Also remember when calling you will need to give the call half a second before the move is done. You two will get a hang of the timing of eachother.

Have fun!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users