166 replies to this topic

#161 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I bought some LED Christmas lights. There is 10 lights on the string powered by 2 double A. Use either constant or flashing. Got them at Walgreens after Christmas 50% off.Was 3 sets for $10.Got six sets. Two sets werenwhited and the rest were colored.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#162 cadguy

cadguy

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

@Kitefantex...Won't your fighter kites be a little difficult to fly with all that weight? He he.
"Dayton" David Kovacs

ike_member.png and 180or.png

PIGS aloft

#163 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

kitefantex - I also have an older set of LED lights powered by 2 AA batteries, but have replaced the batteries with a 2032 coin style battery and holder! One of the problems I see with keeping the 2 AAs, is there is no good place to mount them on the Rev! And they add a lot of weight!! By eliminating the 2 AAs and their holder and replacing with the 2032 and its' holder, I've cut the weight of the lights by 1/2!! From somewhere close to over 4 ozs to around 2 ozs! Plus it will mount from the center sail hole or bridle much easier, as there is a huge weight loss in the conversion!! I've just got to solder everything up and really test the rig, but it does look promising!! I also found some little LEDs on short bungee cords, that are used as zipper pulls! I plan on using them on the bottom tips and the other rig across the LE!! Winter project!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#164 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Wayne do you have a pic of the 2032 battery holder? Would like to get them set up fo rthe kite festival at Tresure *Island next week.

Does one battery power the light for very long and did you leave the flasher to work?

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#165 Trigger

Trigger
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

well white sail is the best. I have a 4d that looks like a giant Lightning Bug!

I have used the flexible led ribbon with some good success! I will try to post pics.

they have held on through multiple crashes and 2hrs of 12mph winds.. pretty happy with them, gonna try and light the sail better though.  it's a work in progress.

thanks to Steven Leonard from AeroShark for his input on the set up.

jim

You know you're a kite flyer when you can measure 75, 100 and 120ft within 1 inch.... by SIGHT!

#166 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

And once I am done with work in Johannesburg and back home in Durban, I can get back to sourcing what I need (beyond the test equipment I have) and get down to building my own complete rig.

Got a few public holidays and other issues to deal with, but I'll get there ... in the mean time you've been doing a fantastic job of keeping my testing alive through your own experiments.

#167 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Wayne do you have a pic of the 2032 battery holder? Would like to get them set up fo rthe kite festival at Tresure *Island next week.

Does one battery power the light for very long and did you leave the flasher to work?

Sorry, but I must have missed this!! I don't have any pix, My son picked it up at a Fry's Electronics. Looks like it was made to solder into a breadboard! Hope that helps!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users