166 replies to this topic

#141 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I bought a couple of sets from a guy in Texas that work exactly as you've just described.

His efforts "clip-on tightly",.... you can flail around or crash and nothing goes out or comes loose. They run on a battery that 3.6 volts, about the size of doubleA. There are six lights on the leading edge and two at the corner triangles of the bottom. They are available in two styles, I took the fully abusive heavy weight model.

I can understand you need to do it yourself.

Jim's lights are available in different colors but the brightest ones are green. They also show-up well before blackest night (works at dusk?)

I hang most of the lights on the back and only have the two bottoms facing me as they are BRIGHT

Hang 'em onto a kite that is lighter framed and more sail surface/overpowered for the conditions you expect to need. The excess weight will fly, but it's like running in mud, it's a little sloppy and not as fast either.

People will stop every time you use lights on a night fly.

#142 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

We had people at Lincoln City asking if we were using RC planes!! Amazed when they learned it was a kite!! Everything looks good, but the battery holder and pillbox combo! Still working out how that will come together, but I should be able to come up with at least a working set of lights!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#143 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

his holder is a heavily/well-mounted plastic case with velcro cover (tough to insert battery,... really tough to pry out too!)

the battery packet adheres to the leading edge with an elastic cord and button mechanism passing thru the center hole

everything is very well thought out in his design parameters and tough as nails in use

I know a few other rev pilots also sportin' this same styled rig of lights (to complete satisfaction!)

#144 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

How about a kite with Wind Powered LEDs?
Check this out: http://www.instructa...LEDs/?ALLSTEPS#

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#145 cadguy

cadguy

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hello fellow night flyers, here's my latest setup. I use the "Finger Lights" with a custom clip that I designed. The elastic band on the light is put through my clip, I then flip the light upside down, then the clip just snaps onto the kite endcaps. The elastic band holds the light in place. The light can be snapped on so it sits above or below the endcap. I can also snap them onto the leading edge with the addition of a piece of thin foam inside the clip.

LED-1.jpg LED-2.jpg

I plan to go to the Treasure Island, FL event in Jan, if ya want to see 'em in person.

Dayton David
"Dayton" David Kovacs

ike_member.png and 180or.png

PIGS aloft

#146 stickerman

stickerman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

let us know, StrokeS

thanks for your tip, cadguy.

Posted Image Posted Image

#147 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

Hmmmm.... nothing like a bored sparkie on night shift to do a little "light planning".

Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#148 stickerman

stickerman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

a what?

Posted Image Posted Image

#149 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

A bored sparkie... I'm an electrician and night shift can get a little slow. Lots of time to design some lights...

Tapatalk for iPhone.

#150 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

That cord and button combo gave me an idea to use line instead of a "biner"! Just larkshead a loop through the center hole!! Ideas come from anywhere!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#151 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

That cord and button combo gave me an idea to use line instead of a "biner"! Just larkshead a loop through the center hole!! Ideas come from anywhere!!Posted Image

..light bulb appears above head...

Tapatalk for iPhone.

#152 Oats

Oats
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

I recently started using deep sea fishing lights for my night time endeavors. They are cheap on ebay, and for those of you who like to take an occasional dip in the ocean, waterproof (I would hope if they are for deep sea fishing :P). They arent too bad in weight either, these particular ones have 2x 3v batteries (typical motherboard battery). Give it a look if you are interested.

#153 Cody G

Cody G
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Having seen a number of various lights on kites and been underwhelmed by their brightness, I decided to give a shot at making my own. Here are the first two attempts. I used an ultra-bright wide-angle LED attached to a coin cell battery. The battery holder is attached to a magnet, which can then be attached to the kite sail with an opposing magnet on the opposite side of the kite. I coated the magnets in a silicone-based glue so that they are slightly tacky to grip the kite without damaging it. They can be attached anywhere on the sail as opposed to being limited to the spars and leading edge. The magnets I found are a bit heavy and I am looking for some lighter and stronger neodymium magnets to replace them with. These are clearly a crude product, but it's a start. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• image-1.jpeg
  • image-3.jpeg
  • image-4.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image-2.jpeg

#154 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

I really like the magnet idea.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

#155 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

sudden impacts will likely dislodge the lights (if held magnetically) and two magnets per light is certainly adding some extra mass if you want the entire sail lighted. The point of having lights clip onto a frame members is for rigidity and ease of installation onto different full, partially or fully vented sails.

I've used rare earth magnets before (to lock 2 separate kite leading edges of kites together in flight) back in 2000 for the Smithsonian Kite festival (cooperative category, novice builders, sport kite(s). Harold Ames' efforts had the magnets set flush into vinyl tubing and then affixed to the tops of end=caps w/epoxy. Again so it's completely rigid, for landing, sudden impacts in flight or any other sharply aggressive maneuvers.

I'd also be concerned about the magnets swinging around on the sail fabric during flight. That could both dislodge a seam or cause abrasion.

I've locked lights on to the leading edge mesh of Revs with plastic zip-ties too. That requires little holes and then the kite won't break down because the lights are held on so tightly that the frame members won't pull away from each other!

Attached Thumbnails

• Cooperative\'00(Ryv 1.6).jpg

#156 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Scotch brand 2lb. Indoor Mounting Squares tape does the trick for me.

The failure rate with them is fairly low. But once they quit sticking to the sail, it is a pain to pull the tape from the battery and replace while out in the field in the night in the dark.

Android OS ~ Tapatalk2

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#157 Cody G

Cody G
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

I finally came across some impressively powerful magnets that are smaller than a dime. Attached them under a thin layer of silicone and they grip the kite like they're holding on for dear life (which with my flying skills, they are!). Lightweight and they stay in place, can't ask for more! Success.

#158 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I finally came across some impressively powerful magnets that are smaller than a dime. Attached them under a thin layer of silicone and they grip the kite like they're holding on for dear life (which with my flying skills, they are!). Lightweight and they stay in place, can't ask for more! Success.

You can get a package of 10 at Harbor Freight for $1.99.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#159 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Can anyone suggest which sail material would light up the brightest?  confused_1.gif  

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#160 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

As for color, white in my opinion shows up best.

For reflection, New Icarex Polyester is what I think reflects best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users