15 replies to this topic

#1 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Lots of the Rev fliers at my local field seem to like to "fish-wrap" their spars, especially the ends where the ferrules go, to improve durability. They say that the spars like to splinter at the ends, especially if the ferrule slips, and that wrapping string tightly around the ends and brushing with glue to seal it (like one supposedly does with a fishing rod?—dunno, I've never fished) will help prevent splintering, increase strength by quite a bit, and help keep the ferrule from slipping into the center spars.

Anyone else do this? Or are the people at my field just weird?

Personally, I can't be bothered to go to all that trouble, but I do recognize the benefits, so here is what I do to get much the same effect: I get a small dispenser of 2 inch wide strapping tape (the kind with the fiberglass strings embedded into it) and wrap the ends of all my spars with that stuff. For the 4-wraps, I wrap them two times around (so they'll still fit in the endcaps) and for all the others, I wrap 3 times around. I've weighed wrapped and unwrapped spars and the weight difference is negligible (less than a gram per spar), but the tape is very strong, can be wrapped very tightly by holding the dispenser in place and spinning the rod to wrap the tape around, doesn't peel off by itself, and doesn't damage the rod if you remove it.

Something else I do is use Gorilla Tape to reinforce my leading edges just a bit, at the parts where the vertical spars attach at the top. I stick a small patch onto the LE under where the vertical spar connecter rubs against the LE when the kite is all set up, as some additional protection against spar wear-through. It's worked very well for me so far—tape holds well, doesn't accumulate gunk, doesn't do anything bad when removed, and adds practically no weight at all. I've read that the B pros have kevlar patches in this same place to stop wear-through, so I guess you wouldn't need to do this on them, but I imagine it would help any other kite resist wear and tear a bit better.
kairusan

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

The main problem that they are avoiding is something that has happened to me, and I have heard happened to others. If the ferrul (SP) slips into the center rod, it gives less support to the outer LE rods, and they my splinter at the edges when under stress. I have never gone to extents to wrap the rods, however, I do check the length of the ferrul when ever I take out a kite to make sure that it is only half way into the center LE rod.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

Lots of the Rev fliers at my local field seem to like to "fish-wrap" their spars, especially the ends where the ferrules go, to improve durability. They say that the spars like to splinter at the ends, especially if the ferrule slips, and that wrapping string tightly around the ends and brushing with glue to seal it (like one supposedly does with a fishing rod?—dunno, I've never fished) will help prevent splintering, increase strength by quite a bit, and help keep the ferrule from slipping into the center spars.

Anyone else do this? Or are the people at my field just weird?

Personally, I can't be bothered to go to all that trouble, but I do recognize the benefits, so here is what I do to get much the same effect: I get a small dispenser of 2 inch wide strapping tape (the kind with the fiberglass strings embedded into it) and wrap the ends of all my spars with that stuff. For the 4-wraps, I wrap them two times around (so they'll still fit in the endcaps) and for all the others, I wrap 3 times around. I've weighed wrapped and unwrapped spars and the weight difference is negligible (less than a gram per spar), but the tape is very strong, can be wrapped very tightly by holding the dispenser in place and spinning the rod to wrap the tape around, doesn't peel off by itself, and doesn't damage the rod if you remove it.

Something else I do is use Gorilla Tape to reinforce my leading edges just a bit, at the parts where the vertical spars attach at the top. I stick a small patch onto the LE under where the vertical spar connecter rubs against the LE when the kite is all set up, as some additional protection against spar wear-through. It's worked very well for me so far—tape holds well, doesn't accumulate gunk, doesn't do anything bad when removed, and adds practically no weight at all. I've read that the B pros have kevlar patches in this same place to stop wear-through, so I guess you wouldn't need to do this on them, but I imagine it would help any other kite resist wear and tear a bit better.

Never had a rod splinter at the ferrule or end caps in 20 years of flying Rev's.

Only ever had 2 rods break, 1st one round my neck. Lesson Kite down wind everytime. 2nd time Pro spar then the wind REALLY picked up !! Kept flying and got 4th place.

Not had a problem with LE wear, usually change kites before I get to that stage.

Like watty, check ferrule regular intervals, and bridles too. Bungees seem to go more for me, usually when I flown on sand. Also always wash out sand from LE after flying on sand.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

Did have one or two rods split a little at the end cap end. But that stopped when I stopped crashing my kite into the ground. I would say don't bother.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#5 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

Did have one or two rods split a little at the end cap end. But that stopped when I stopped crashing my kite into the ground. I would say don't bother.

I am reminded that some people believe that the sky might fall on them.

The Revolution products are very resilient (in my experience) if used within the appropriate wind range even if contact occurs with immoveable objects <grins>

Making a fetish out of a moderately precious item will not necessarily extend its practical life. The last set of Decs custom JMH sails lasted 10 years with only a 'little bit' of mesh re-sewing. I noticed another thread where the correspondent admitted letting rip and finding that the practical experience of learning how to get out of trouble by reflex action was beneficial...

Felix

#6 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

The Revolution products are very resilient (in my experience) if used within the appropriate wind range even if contact occurs with immoveable objects <grins>

Making a fetish out of a moderately precious item will not necessarily extend its practical life. The last set of Decs custom JMH sails lasted 10 years with only a 'little bit' of mesh re-sewing. I noticed another thread where the correspondent admitted letting rip and finding that the practical experience of learning how to get out of trouble by reflex action was beneficial...

Felix

Ack! I yield! I yield!

Just tryin' t' help! I swear!
kairusan

#7 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

Ack! I yield! I yield!

Hey, it is not personal <grins>

I also hope to keep things in perspective!

Felix

#8 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Like Watty says.

Check the leading edge ferrules often. We have had several come loose, then they try to make their way back into the center spar. That's when you will splinter a spar end. It's not unusual to find one loose. I just pull it out and re-glue it.

Some, me included, think that the glue tends to come loose over time due to the flexing of the leading edge spars during flight.

Edited by Jim Foster, 11 May 2009 - 03:38 PM.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#9 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

Ack! I yield! I yield!

Actually, I found this information interesting... I have not done any of this with my outdoor revs.. however, I do wrap just one wrap of electrical tape on the ends of my indoor spars...at least the verticals, as I was noticing some splitting fibers on one. I think putting the outdoor end caps helped a lot with this issue as well but I left it on just to be sure..

Never anythingggggggg wrong with sharing what some do with their kites... you can always learn something from it... whether it be that it works great for you or it doesn't.. so thanks for sharing.
Mousie

#10 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

Actually, I found this information interesting... I have not done any of this with my outdoor revs.. however, I do wrap just one wrap of electrical tape on the ends of my indoor spars...at least the verticals, as I was noticing some splitting fibers on one. I think putting the outdoor end caps helped a lot with this issue as well but I left it on just to be sure..

Never anythingggggggg wrong with sharing what some do with their kites... you can always learn something from it... whether it be that it works great for you or it doesn't.. so thanks for sharing.
Mousie

Yea, the old indoor end caps tended to cause the splintering problems as well.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

I fly mostly at the beach, and I found that the abrasive sand tended to cause the ends to fray and splinter. So, I've tried clear coating the ends as well as electrical taping some spars. Not sure which I prefer, but both serve the same purpose - to protect the ends from abrasion.

As noted in the earliest post, fly fish rod wrapping can beef up the ends. I don't know if its serendipity. or I have gotten better, but I add 1/2" of fibrous packing tape to the ends of the spars (2 layers) and so far no new fractured rods (well, not at the ends).

Its been noted that the glue on the ferrule fails and then the ferrul slides. I've taken to use a sticky polyurethane adhesive (similar to shoe-goo). It makes the ferrule stay primarily due to friction. If you work it enough, I can pull the ferrule out. BUT the nice thing about this adhesive is it depends priamrily on its bulk and friction to hold. So far, no real world failures.

#12 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

i have never splintered a rod .. hard to beleave with as many as i brok in the days of flying.. but all of the rods i broke were clean breaks never splinters..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Aye, what Felix said...

I feel it's totally unnecessary, I've scratched the snot out of the ends of my spars and never had a performance-effecting chip or break.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#14 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

Aye, what Felix said...

I feel it's totally unnecessary, I've scratched the snot out of the ends of my spars and never had a performance-effecting chip or break.

But I have personally seen JB snap a RR vertical in 4mph winds..........then continue to fly the kite for another 5 or 10 minutes...... :blink:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#15 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

Walt made it clear I should amend slightly, as I have broken spars mid-rod but never at the end of a spar. :blushing:

Of course, I load my sail pretty heavily (square on) compared to most of the pilots I've flown with.

The mid-rod breaks can most often be attributed to wear sustained while in the outermost leading edge spars as the upper center end caps can cause eventual wear on the rod if not properly padded with a vinyl layer (such as is on all currently made Revolutions).

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#16 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

But I have personally seen JB snap a RR vertical in 4mph winds..........then continue to fly the kite for another 5 or 10 minutes...... :blink:

Walt made it clear I should amend slightly, as I have broken spars mid-rod but never at the end of a spar. :blushing:

Of course, I load my sail pretty heavily (square on) compared to most of the pilots I've flown with.

The mid-rod breaks can most often be attributed to wear sustained while in the outermost leading edge spars as the upper center end caps can cause eventual wear on the rod if not properly padded with a vinyl layer (such as is on all currently made Revolutions).

Could have been that guy with the big gut and hiney at the time that tripped over the concrete thingy who may have let go of the kite a tad late? Seems like the sail REALLY loaded up. :blushing:

Dean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users