15 replies to this topic

#1 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Id like to lighten up my fully vented 1.5 to get a bit lower wind range out of it, yet still keep it up in strength to be able to handle 20-25mph.

Its currently got the SLE and verticals marked Advantage STIFF.

Clearly, getting into a LE is what I need, and want. Ive been told these older Advantage stiffs are 6-wrap rods.

Would a 4 wrap LE and 3 wrap verticals fill the bill here? Dropping what Im guessing to be close to 2 ounces should allow me to fly it in a bit less wind before having to switch to my standard 1.5 with the race rods in it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
-dan

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

Id like to lighten up my fully vented 1.5 to get a bit lower wind range out of it, yet still keep it up in strength to be able to handle 20-25mph.

Its currently got the SLE and verticals marked Advantage STIFF.

Clearly, getting into a LE is what I need, and want. Ive been told these older Advantage stiffs are 6-wrap rods.

Would a 4 wrap LE and 3 wrap verticals fill the bill here? Dropping what Im guessing to be close to 2 ounces should allow me to fly it in a bit less wind before having to switch to my standard 1.5 with the race rods in it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
-dan

Hi Dan,
I would recommend using a 4 wrap or 3 wrap frame in 20-25 mph. If you want, you can even get your vented to go even lighter and fly in significantly lighter wind by taking those race rods from your standard sail, and putting them in your vented. This allows the kite to fly in a low wind range, but it has the aded bonus of the smoothness of a vented sail.

I am very bad at judging wind speeds in a number, but by feel, I can usually decide what rods to use.. hey way I think of it, going throuh race rods, 3 wrap, and 4 wrap sets, and a standard plus a vented sail, I change up to higher strength/vented if I feel too much pull, and change down to lighter/full sail when I am having difficult because of lack of wind.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

Thanks Watty,

With my ever-changing winds here, on a windy day I'll usually setup a std. or UL dually to keep me flying troughout the day so swapping rods could be a futile task i'd not like to keep repeating.

And you think a 3 wrap might not be too light considering i've got the std. with race rods i can fly on a not too windy day. I'm pretty sure i've got close to 20 mph many time with that one, before i got my vented of course :)

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:20 AM

Dan,
If you have never had the pure pleasure of flying your Vented in a 10mph wind with a 3 wrap or Race frame you are missing so much of what this kite will do :wub: . I kind of lost interest and dropped to flying every now and again until I saw this forum a few years ago and found out about the 1/4" leading edges. It has opened up a whole new world of Rev'ing for me. It takes less than a minute to switch LEs when the wind goes up or down and it totally worth it.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

You've already got a race frame, so between that and a 4 wrap frame you'd have it covered.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#6 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

I always fly with a 3 wrap in my vented 1.5.
The winds here in the mountains are most usually swirly and variable. <read that as gusty>
Quite often it is gusty from 6 to 20 or more.
the 3 wrap allows me to keep flying when it's low wind and seems to be fine when it picks up and drags me across the field. No broken rods yet!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#7 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

Honest answer, buy more kites.

I have the luxury of a full sail, semi vent and full vent, all with race frame.

And another set with varying frames in them.

Also a set of Sedgwicks and Rev 2's once again with varying frame sets.

So pretty much as long as there is some wind I can at least try to fly.

Please please please do try the full vent with the Race rods, you will be suprised at how wide a wind range it has.

#8 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

Moving from the larger SLE rod to the standard 1/4" rod will lighten up the kite quite a bit. I would suggest getting a 4 wrap leading edge as you already have the other rods and can use those if you wish. The 4 wrap should be good in your vented kite up to 25 mph no problem. You probably won't need to change out your verticals as those are already 1/4" rods.

We have all of the rods in stock for the 1.5 including the new Travel Frame. :)

#9 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

Moving from the larger SLE rod to the standard 1/4" rod will lighten up the kite quite a bit.

Check your E-mail then Kent, and you can lighten up my wallet a bit. :lol:

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Dano, 15 May 2009 - 07:31 AM.

#10 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

I just got a vented 1.5 with a SLE LE, but with a UL LE set also. Should I invest in UL wing struts or just take the plunge and get a Race rod frame?

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#11 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

I just got a vented 1.5 with a SLE LE, but with a UL LE set also. Should I invest in UL wing struts or just take the plunge and get a Race rod frame?

Get Race Rods. Changing downspars will barely affect performance at all; the leading edge is where all the action is. A Race leading edge is significantly lighter and springier than the 3-wrap Ultralight one. The springiness is the biggest difference by far, especially when you're doing moves that compensate for wind lulls.
kairusan

#12 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

Get Race Rods. Changing downspars will barely affect performance at all; the leading edge is where all the action is. A Race leading edge is significantly lighter and springier than the 3-wrap Ultralight one. The springiness is the biggest difference by far, especially when you're doing moves that compensate for wind lulls.

Thanks for your advice - hope they still have a set at Lincoln City when I get there Sat.! I want to improve the kites wind range and from what I see on the forum, all signs point to a Race frame!! In higher winds will the 3 wrap be OK? Or should I use the SLE LE that comes standard with the kite?? Money is a bit of an issue and I want to get value for the buck!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#13 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

Leave the SLE at home, use it to stake the tomato's or other gardening chores. While at LC, ask JB his opinion on the subject............

Use the 3 wrap, the forecast this weekend looks perfect for it.

See ya there!
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#14 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Leave the SLE at home, use it to stake the tomato's or other gardening chores. While at LC, ask JB his opinion on the subject............

Use the 3 wrap, the forecast this weekend looks perfect for it.

See ya there!

Forgot to ask JB, but I used the 3 wrap LE all day Sat. and didn't have one bit of trouble! My Rev I would have pulled like a truck, the vented was a pleasure to fly!! Still thinking about RR for it and my I !! Think that should lighten things up for the1.5 and give me more feel in the old I!! They, RR, are available for the I, aren't they?? I was told if I had a chance to try them first before buying, then I would have more info, but unless I connect with some local flyers who will let me try them out, I will have to decide for myself!!! The burden !!! Anyone got some ideas??

wayne from portland

AKA member

#15 sirrom

sirrom

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Forgot to ask JB, but I used the 3 wrap LE all day Sat. and didn't have one bit of trouble! My Rev I would have pulled like a truck, the vented was a pleasure to fly!! Still thinking about RR for it and my I !! Think that should lighten things up for the1.5 and give me more feel in the old I!! They, RR, are available for the I, aren't they?? I was told if I had a chance to try them first before buying, then I would have more info, but unless I connect with some local flyers who will let me try them out, I will have to decide for myself!!! The burden !!! Anyone got some ideas??

I used race rods in my new full vent B-Pro all day Saturday at LC. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I was having computer trouble getting online while in the motel during our stay in LC so didn't get to read the latest posts. Glad you had a great time :)

Here are a few of the shots of the Mega fly. I think there were about 29 in the sky at one time.

IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3376.JPG IMG_3383.JPG
BRETT
(Formerly sirrom2000)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#16 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

I used race rods in my new full vent B-Pro all day Saturday at LC. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I was having computer trouble getting online while in the motel during our stay in LC so didn't get to read the latest posts. Glad you had a great time :)

Here are a few of the shots of the Mega fly. I think there were about 29 in the sky at one time.

IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3376.JPG IMG_3383.JPG

We've probably met before!! Mostly flew duals, only flew my Rev I infrequently!! Now the Revs seem more interesting with the control they offer!!:) Come to the fall fest at LC - we'll meet then for sure!! If the wind is right I'll be flying a red, white and blue 1.5 vented!!::kid_devlish::Nice to have met so many new folks on the forum!! I'm becoming a forum junkie!!:blink:

Edited by stroke victim, 02 July 2010 - 09:36 PM.

wayne from portland

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users