• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldLL

DonaldLL
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and just purchased my 1st Rev kite today. It shipped today and I hope it is here on Saturday otherwise I'll have to wait to fly it. I bought the Rev 1.5 SLE. I was advised by Kent at A Wind of Change since I really know nothing about the Rev kites. I do know myself well enough to tell Kent right up front that this is not a "let's add 1 Rev kite to the collection" type purchase. More than likely I'll have 2 or 3 Revs before I'm done. Oh, I should add to this the fact that my S.O. is also into kites. I can't wait to get my new kite. I have a few foils but no Rev. Won't be saying that much longer!

Donald

#2 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

HI there Donald, Welcome to the forum.

A lot of great people here I am sure you will enjoy talking to. Hope your Rev arrives soon!

Mousie

#3 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

Donald ~ Welcome to what many call "the Dark Side!"

You sound like me, some time ago, when stating "maybe 2 or 3 Revs" before you're done!

Good luck! Get a part-time job! As of Saturday... You're HOOKED!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

Indeed, welcome to the dark side! :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

Welcome, it will become more of a way of life, you will soon find out.

Couldnt be in a better place if you ned any help, just ask away.

Hope it arrives soon, good luck.

#6 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

Welcome to The Dark Side Donald, you will be glad you joined. I hope you can find other Rev pilots to fly with, their experience will help learning the Rev much easier, and more fun as well. We would love to hear about your first flight, and do not be shy about asking questions, forums are famous for all sorts of people giving advice and opinion, and we love to help others out. If you would like, let us know where you are from, it is very possible that you could meet up with someone from this forum to help make your first flights easier.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#7 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:55 AM

Oh, I should add to this the fact that my S.O. is also into kites.

hello,

and before long your S.O. will also be borrowing yours soooooooo.... you know what's gonna happen ;)

"It's more fun with two" says Pooh.
1 of the 47.

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:28 AM

you have now entered a world youll never want to leave :)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:01 AM

Welcome Donald!

More than likely I'll have 2 or 3 Revs before I'm done. Oh, I should add to this the fact that my S.O. is also into kites. I can't wait to get my new kite. I have a few foils but no Rev. Won't be saying that much longer!

Revisit this comment in about a year and you will laugh yourself silly! To say Rev Flying is addictive is a understatement! Hee!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#10 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

Welcome.....Fly on.......
Melanie in Tennessee

#11 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

Sure enough...my S.O. got me hooked. I just bought the material to make another roll-up bag for myself. We [foolishly] thought the first one would hold both of our kites so we could go to festivals with just one kite bag.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#12 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:06 AM

Welcome Donald,

I figured I would get a couple of kites 30 years ago. 6 kite bags later and I keep on collecting
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#13 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hi Donald

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Darkside. :big_starwars:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#14 DonaldLL

DonaldLL
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Thank you all... I will report back and I'm sure at that time I will have questions!

Donald

#15 DonaldLL

DonaldLL
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

First day would have made a good comedy video. I did everything wrong I am certain of that. I did watch the training video the night before but it didn't stick. After the first fiasco, I went back and watched it again and paid close attention this time. I went out a 2nd time to fly the Rev but not enough wind. I did manage to lauch the kite and hold steady a bit but just not enough wind to give me the feedback or feel I needed.

So now I know enough to say that the foils are rather intuitive but the Revs are not.... they are a different kind of animal.

I have questions but I suppose they are so basic, I'll probably find my answers here on the forum in some of the pinned postings.
More later....

#16 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

You will find that once you get used to the finer control Revs are intuative too. Presuming you are used to 4 line foils that is.

If you are used to 2 line you need to forget all you have learnt. Almost strap your wrists together so you cant do the left right pulls like 2 line and get used to the thumbs back, thmbs forward control you need for a Rev. Once you have got that in your head, then you add in a bit of 2 line type movement.

It will come, dont worry.

At least you didnt (hopefully) start off with the vertical rods on the front of the kite? Even the best of us have done that :-)

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

Donald, did your handles come with longer leaders on the top with a series of knots on them for adjustment?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#18 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

Donald

Having read your last post I thought of this (see quote below) I wrote it a while back for somebody on another forum who was having difficulties, He may have been a little further down the line than you are now, I think he was trying to get his head around inverted flight at the time but I believe the advice still stands good for you.

Walt (RS67Man) has already suggested you look out for other Rev fliers to help you on your way, that’s great advice, in hour with an experienced pilot is worth more than a dozen posts in any forum, you can not beat a bit of face to face tuition.

Above all stick with it, this is a great hobby and it does get easier, the trouble is, you then start setting higher goals.

Once again welcome to the Darkside and welcome to the Funny Farm

Crazy and Proud of it.

I have been given a lot of help and advice from other Rev flyers (two of whom have already posted above me, thanks guys), advice such as “be gentle with it” and “don’t fight it,” easier said than done when it feels like the kite has a will of it’s own. That is until you accept that it does.

It is like a young puppy very excitable but, eager to please. It is not your job to learn how to fly it. It’s your job to teach it how to behave, it’s a slow learner but if you stick with it your patience will rewarded.

Whatever you try to do with your kite, if you start to loose control, don’t fight it, go with it and see where it takes you, (if you fight it you will both get frustrated,) once it has had it’s run bring it back and try again eventually it will learn what it is you want it to do.

The thing I can’t get my head around is:- In Gary or Woody’s hands she behaves like a Crufts champion, why won’t she do it for me?

Last autumn my intension was to practice hard through the winter and come out in the spring a half decent flyer, I believe I have achieved that, although I must admit I have had to seriously revise my definition of “half decent flyer”

If you have half as much fun as I have had this last year your Rev will have been a great investment.

ENJOY!

Date of quoted post May 2006

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 12 May 2009 - 07:19 AM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#19 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hey Donald, just head out there again in some decent winds, give yourself about a half hour of crashing to really get use to the kite and most of the issues you are having will melt away. Good wind will always make the learning easiest!

The more you fly the easier things will get. Just have fun learning and it will all come together. If something is happening that just doesn't seem right or if you are struggling on a certain thing, let us know. I am sure someone (if not all of us) has experienced the same thing at one time during our learning process. :) :)

Most of all, have fun and enjoy your new kite. :)

#20 DonaldLL

DonaldLL
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

Well... I felt like a little kid staring thru the patio doors with my kite in hand, watching the raindrops hit the ground. No flying today for me but tomorrow is another day.

Kitelife you asked "Donald, did your handles come with longer leaders on the top with a series of knots on them for adjustment?" No, my handles have leaders on top and bottom that are identical in length with no knots.

Thanks or all the support. I'll report back once I get back out there. I am confident it'll come to me. I am just anxious to get back out on a good day and give it a go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users