13 replies to this topic

#1 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

I flew the full sail eyes in about 5mph breeze with a 2 wrap frame. I think there is a issue and I do not know what to make of it. It feels like one of the brake lines is longer, and it switches sides depending on what side of the wind window the kite is on, and which way the kites is facing. Right side when kite is to left and facing left, left side when kite is on right facing right. I was using 15 inch handles, and it seemed to need a bunch of thumb forward (right thumb when on left, left thumb when on right) to keep flying straight and to initiate the turn back to center. The first timeI felt it, I landed the kite to check for a tip wrap. I have flown one other custom Rev 1, and the vented Bazzer Eyes, so not much experience with them. But when I say the brake line seems longer, I mean 6 inches too long. The handle is moved thumbs forward that much just to keep it at neutral so it won't turn. With it switching sides depending on what side of the wind window the kite is on, and whether the kite is facing right or left at the time made for a very interesting first flight. The other Rev 1's I have flown did not have this characteristic, and I took to them like a duck to water. Really weird. Anyone have any ideas?
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:07 PM

Remove the rods from the sail and then compare the right side of the bridle to the left side of the bridle. They should match within a couple millimeters.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

I removed the bridle completely from the kite tonight. I checked the two sides starting from the center outwards to make sure the distance from knot to knot and knot to looped end was the same on both sides. I could not find a discrepancy. I then reinstalled the bridle on the kite and checked everything I could think of and even set both vented and full sail fully assembled next to each other and looked for any differences. The only thing I found was the LE vertical rod cap set to the outside (toward the LE tips) of the shock cord pass through on the full sail,both sides, and set to the inside (both caps set toward the center of the kite) both sides on the vented. I do not think this would make a difference, but I now am going to make it a practice to set all my kites up with the cap set to the inside of the pass through hole on the sail.

Another thing I did was to closely inspect all 5 spars for cracks, and found none.

I am going to give the kite another fly the next time conditions permit to see if the issue persists. I hope to have Bazzer there to give it a try as well.

Posted Image

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

I removed the bridle completely from the kite tonight. I checked the two sides starting from the center outwards to make sure the distance from knot to knot and knot to looped end was the same on both sides. I could not find a discrepancy. I then reinstalled the bridle on the kite and checked everything I could think of and even set both vented and full sail fully assembled next to each other and looked for any differences. The only thing I found was the LE vertical rod cap set to the outside (toward the LE tips) of the shock cord pass through on the full sail,both sides, and set to the inside (both caps set toward the center of the kite) both sides on the vented. I do not think this would make a difference, but I now am going to make it a practice to set all my kites up with the cap set to the inside of the pass through hole on the sail.

Another thing I did was to closely inspect all 5 spars for cracks, and found none.

I am going to give the kite another fly the next time conditions permit to see if the issue persists. I hope to have Bazzer there to give it a try as well.

Another possibility, give your lines a check and see if one might have stretched excessively all of a sudden.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Another possibility, give your lines a check and see if one might have stretched excessively all of a sudden.

I actually checked that at the flying field, I changed kites and handles to a B series 1.5, no problems.....

Besides that could not of been it, issue changes sides depending on orientation and what side of the wind window kite is in. I am hoping it was a fluke, and the kite will fly like any Rev should the next time out of the bag. I am sure stranger things have happened!

Posted Image

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

Any further progress on this Walt?

#7 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

I hope to give it a fly tomorrow, will report then.....;)

Posted Image

#8 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

Good luck.

#9 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Got to spend some time with the full sail Ninja Eyes today. It definitely handles like a truck, but once you get used to it it is one fun to fly kite. I figured out the control thing, I think. I believe it is caused by the vertical rods flexing when I have the sail under power. Mike Tracy spent a few minutes flying it, other than it flying like a truck, I think he liked it! I had a Ah-Ha moment today, I finally figured out how to make a Rev walk. The wife just about lost it when I "walked the eyes", then made it jump about 2 inches off the ground repeatedly while saying "Can I fly? Can I fly? Huh? Huh?", then did a high climbing takeoff. Had a couple people there even taking pictures of the kite and heard several comments from others.

Posted Image

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

Glad you feel more comfortable with it. Persoanly I LOVE the truckness of the Rev 1 ;-)

And dont let it go to your head, I am sure the pictures and comments were all to do with the Rev, not your flying ability, tee hee.

#11 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

Got to spend some time with the full sail Ninja Eyes today. It definitely handles like a truck, but once you get used to it it is one fun to fly kite. I figured out the control thing, I think. I believe it is caused by the vertical rods flexing when I have the sail under power. Mike Tracy spent a few minutes flying it, other than it flying like a truck, I think he liked it! I had a Ah-Ha moment today, I finally figured out how to make a Rev walk. The wife just about lost it when I "walked the eyes", then made it jump about 2 inches off the ground repeatedly while saying "Can I fly? Can I fly? Huh? Huh?", then did a high climbing takeoff. Had a couple people there even taking pictures of the kite and heard several comments from others.

Dare I say, try a bit more brake? The Rev 1 is horrible with too much forward!

Felix

#12 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

I'll be interested to see what you mean by flying like a truck at the Clinic Walt. It's been so long now since I've touched a 1.5 that I'm actually flying my 1 better than I ever have. It's definatly slower in all directions, but it's now flying like I always wanted it to.
I'm flying mine with my Pro 13" handles. With the 1.5's I am finally up to leaders that touch the bottom tip of the handles and flying one knot from the end. BUT, when I'm flying my 1 I'm back about 4 or 5 knots from the end. I found the spot for me personally. One knot more brake and I cannot launch at all.
As a side note, our Rev 1's (the ones in my avatar) came with offset lines and 10 inch handles without leaders.
Now with that setup, it flew like a freight train when you had enough wind to get it up. :P

Dean

#13 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

Dare I say, try a bit more brake? The Rev 1 is horrible with too much forward!

Felix

I second that! I fly my Rev 1 with 15" handles with long top leaders, much longer than with a 1.5.

Cheers
Clin

#14 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

I'm really glad to hear the suggestion about more brake when flying the Rev I. I have the 2-wrap spars and 15" handles and I experienced the same thing with the control. Also, it had a tendency to fall out of the sky (I'm sure my lack of ability also had something to do with it). So next time there's light wind, I'll try the I with 15" handles and more brake. I'm interested to see how it works out.

Thanks for the tip.
Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users