• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 potterthree

potterthree
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hi all,

I want a Supersonic or a Shockwave...I can't afford both..... at least not now! Help me decide!

Background: I have a 1.5 SEL, 1.5 SUL and a Power Blast 2~4. Yesterday I attended the Castles and Kites Festival in Bodega Bay, CA. In over 20 mph winds, I tried to fly my 2~4, Whoa!!...but with so many people around it did not seem safe so I put it away. So I want to find a Rev to fly at the beach where the wind is often stronger than Santa Rosa where I usually fly (that is where my 2~4 really shines!). I tried a vented 1.5 at the festival (Thank you Lolly for letting me try yours! I loved watching her teach people to fly.) and that was great in the higher winds, but I find it a little too tame/mellow. My new friend Jeff let me try his supersonic (Thanks Jeff! You fly amazingly!) and I was hooked! It did great in the higher winds and is so fast! I've looked at both the Supersonic and Shockwave online but have only flown the Supersonic. I like the sail look best on the Shockwave. I do enjoy a little pull (obviously since my favorite kite right now is the 2~4) and I love speed! Is that enough information to suggest a Shockwave or a Supersonic? Am I correct in understanding the Shockwave does well in a slightly larger wind range and pulls a little harder than the Supersonic? If that is true ....and I loose no speed and I like the sail the best...I guess I'm leaning toward the Shockwave. Thanks for any suggestions!

George
George

If it flies, its cool!

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi all,

I want a Supersonic or a Shockwave...I can't afford both..... at least not now! Help me decide!

Background: I have a 1.5 SEL, 1.5 SUL and a Power Blast 2~4. Yesterday I attended the Castles and Kites Festival in Bodega Bay, CA. In over 20 mph winds, I tried to fly my 2~4, Whoa!!...but with so many people around it did not seem safe so I put it away. So I want to find a Rev to fly at the beach where the wind is often stronger than Santa Rosa where I usually fly (that is where my 2~4 really shines!). I tried a vented 1.5 at the festival (Thank you Lolly for letting me try yours! I loved watching her teach people to fly.) and that was great in the higher winds, but I find it a little too tame/mellow. My new friend Jeff let me try his supersonic (Thanks Jeff! You fly amazingly!) and I was hooked! It did great in the higher winds and is so fast! I've looked at both the Supersonic and Shockwave online but have only flown the Supersonic. I like the sail look best on the Shockwave. I do enjoy a little pull (obviously since my favorite kite right now is the 2~4) and I love speed! Is that enough information to suggest a Shockwave or a Supersonic? Am I correct in understanding the Shockwave does well in a slightly larger wind range and pulls a little harder than the Supersonic? If that is true ....and I loose no speed and I like the sail the best...I guess I'm leaning toward the Shockwave. Thanks for any suggestions!

George

George ....

I have both and I suppose the acid test is which do I fly most .... and its almost certainly the vented Supersonic .... My Shockwave and standard supersonic have not been out of the bag much at all in recent months but that might be because like you I fly my 2~4 in the light stuff, then my blast in the medium and vented SS up range...

In terms of flying I think the Shockwave is by far the hardest Rev to fly, it defiantly pulls more then the SS if thats what you are looking for but it also slides out much faster and tests your skills more .. in fact I use it as a 'check-in' kite to see if Ive actually learned anything since I last flew it on the basis I struggled to fly my first one at all (this is my second so maybe that says something ..hmmmm now I'm getting confused!)

As regards Supersonics the difference between the vented and standard is much like on 1.5's etc .... The vented is way smoother and would definitely be my first choice out of the two.

HOWEVER ..... reading between the lines of your question I wonder if you shouldn't be considering a Blast?? I definitely fly my blast more then the SS or Shockwave and it gives you a lot of the raw horsepower of the 2~4 and is very fast .... The new package with 1/4" rods etc gives you some extra range to play with and I even heard rumours of a Vented version which would probably be the perfect fit to what you have?

Obviously you need to add some vented B's in there somewhere so why not just buy them all ... if you anything like me you will in the end ;)

#3 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

I have a shockwave, supersonic and a vented supersonic. The shockwave is a little larger kite and does pull harder, I prefer to fly the supersonic. The vented supersonic is great for high gusty winds. The speed series kites do insane side slides, flic-flacs and reverse flying. Just my opion :) BTW the shockwave was my first rev.

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

We had the Shockwave out this last Friday at our local fun fly and quite a few people had a turn on it and all had a blast!!! The Shockwave and Sonic are very close to each other in control and speed with the Shockwave having a bit more pull and the Sonic having a bit more speed. If you are into the power then I would suggest the Shockwave as it does feel much more solid in the hands and produces more power with only a slight reduction in overall speed.

hard to choose between the two but if I had to, it would probably be the Sonic for me. :)

Hope that helps.

#5 Kite Krusader

Kite Krusader

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

I have flown a Supersonic at a festival, and did like it, but I HATE THE COLOR.
That all black sail with just a touch of color is just sad.

I bought a BLAST instead LoL :devil:
Your friendly neighborhood kite flyer.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

Is there a reason the Blast is not an option? that would be my choice best of both worlds. IMHO
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#7 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Personally out of the lets say smaller in the speed series I prefer the Vented Sonic because it still has the speed of the regular Sonic but is way more precise and less pull, I prefer the precise part with practice you can fly it just as well as a 1.5 with many added extras.

This weekend I got to try the newest version of the Blast (thanks Bazz) and I must say the new panel layout has improved the performance very noticeably. I beat the snot out of that thing flying both speed and precision and even with a serious line stretch from flying the power blast right before that baby handled well.

Now on another instance knowing that they are playing with a Vented Blast you might wan't to hold out for that knowing the difference between the sonic and vented sonic that vented blast is going to be a sick ride for sure.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#8 potterthree

potterthree
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

You guys are the greatest! .....Always willing to provide insight and help! Thanks! I really appreciate it! I am nearly convinced now that my next one should be the Blast, the new 2009 version looks pretty cool!

George
George

If it flies, its cool!

#9 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi George,

I guess you probably got your answer, but thought I'd mention my thoughts. I live an area where there is light winds a good part of the year, and wanted a speed series so was considering a Shockwave and Supersonic. I wound up getting the Shockwave since it had a slightly lower wind range. Now, several years later, I have a Blast, Shockwave, Supersonic and sonic vented. As I'm getting a little older and don't like the pull so much, I fly the Blast in light winds (it floats like a charm), love the Sonic vented when the winds are up (at the beach), and fly the Supersonic for speed in moderate winds. The Shockwave doesn't get much air time at all, and I'll probably see about lightening my bag some time.

All that being said, each of the four really have their place, and each of them is fun to fly -- it just depends on what you want in the flying (and what the wind will be).

Later, Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:30 AM

the supersonic is the better of the 2 .. lighter pulling and it handles better then the shockwave
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#11 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:03 AM

Having tried (and broken!) my first Blast race frame yesterday I would strengthen my vote to go for the blast ....

#12 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi George,
Having tried both the Supersonic & Shockwave, my 1st instant love was the Supersonic but because of the horrible colours of the SS, so much black and so little other colours, I chose the Shockwave, a much better looking colours combination, though there is a much pull and lesser speed than the SS.
Hope Ben would do something about the change of colours, then I might buy the SS in the near future.
And if you like both, buy both, you won't regret if you like speed.

chris

#13 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi George,
Having tried both the Supersonic & Shockwave, my 1st instant love was the Supersonic but because of the horrible colours of the SS, so much black and so little other colours, I chose the Shockwave, a much better looking colours combination, though there is a much pull and lesser speed than the SS.
Hope Ben would do something about the change of colours, then I might buy the SS in the near future.
And if you like both, buy both, you won't regret if you like speed.

chris

#14 itv

itv
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

I chose the Shockwave, a much better looking colours combination, though there is a much pull and lesser speed than the SS.

chris

Chris,
Can I 'test drive' your shockwave then......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users