14 replies to this topic

#1 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

I havenít seen much in the way of response to the race rods for the Blast yet so I figured it was time to start a thread.
I received mine last week and just had a chance to try it out yesterday. I feel like I have a new kite. My biggest problem with the Blast has always been over steering and often the kite would flat get away form me. These new rods have made a BIG difference. I could see the biggest difference when trying to do a bit of clock work. This was laughable before and now it even looks good when I do it. The wind was probably just a little strong for these rods the day I was playing but keeping the kite low or on the edge gave me a good feel for them. Itís quite different to look up and see a Blast with the leading edge bowed like a 1.5. Today is a calmer day so I will try to get out and try it again.
Anyone else tried the new rods?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#2 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

I haven't seen much in the way of response to the race rods for the Blast yet so I figured it was time to start a thread.
I received mine last week and just had a chance to try it out yesterday. I feel like I have a new kite. My biggest problem with the Blast has always been over steering and often the kite would flat get away form me. These new rods have made a BIG difference. I could see the biggest difference when trying to do a bit of clock work. This was laughable before and now it even looks good when I do it. The wind was probably just a little strong for these rods the day I was playing but keeping the kite low or on the edge gave me a good feel for them. It's quite different to look up and see a Blast with the leading edge bowed like a 1.5. Today is a calmer day so I will try to get out and try it again.
Anyone else tried the new rods?

Snap turns and clockwork turns with the speed series kites should not be a problem with the SLE, just requires 'a slight re-emphasis of technique' which can usefully inform the flying of Rev 1 and Rev 1.5 IMHO. I have not yet tried the Race Rods but as I said elsewhere this could become the thermal chasing kite of choice!

Felix

#3 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Felix,
Yes, but I would have to take exception with the use of "slight". You must take into account I am no expert.

I just got back from taking it out on a 2-5 mph nice solid breeze on the beach. What a good time I had doing all the typical Rev moves. Very controllable floats too. I was confident enough to do the old "play with the tourist" thing with it which I would normally never do with the blast. It was a year before I would fly any Rev around someone at all. The new Race rods have added a lot to the kite for me. It sure has expanded the wind window I can fly the Blast in.

I just got the Race leading edge. I wonder if they make the Race verticals yet?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#4 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

Felix,
Yes, but I would have to take exception with the use of "slight". You must take into account I am no expert.

I just got back from taking it out on a 2-5 mph nice solid breeze on the beach. What a good time I had doing all the typical Rev moves. Very controllable floats too. I was confident enough to do the old "play with the tourist" thing with it which I would normally never do with the blast. It was a year before I would fly any Rev around someone at all. The new Race rods have added a lot to the kite for me. It sure has expanded the wind window I can fly the Blast in.

I just got the Race leading edge. I wonder if they make the Race verticals yet?

Hey, I carefully included inverted commas there so please do not take exception!

I have to say that I do not approve of flying anywhere near people however skilled the pilot is. I admit that I have done this in the past. If the person has signed an insurance disclaimer it might possibly be OK but I am not a lawyer.

Fortunately there has not been a serious accident yet (EDIT as far as I am aware) but it would only take a slight slip for something of serious consequence to occur.

I think that all Rev fliers should take some time to consider exactly how capable they are and reflect.... (EDIT, DO NOT.... insert appropriate wording)

Felix

#5 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

I haven't seen much in the way of response to the race rods for the Blast yet so I figured it was time to start a thread.

I'm hoping Ben (or someone else!) has one I can play with this weekend at MIKE!

#6 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

Got mine on order and based on MrDennys experiences I'm even more interested to see what difference they make .....

#7 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

You and I both, Ben I hope you brought 4 so we can team fly with the new Blast's :lol:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

I can't get past the "flapping" of the wings, even in light winds.

Soon as we load 'em up, they're flapping like a damned frigate bird.

Different strokes, different folks.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

OOooooooooooooo John needs to be taught how to fly a Rev :ani_whistling:

OK on a serious note I was wondering if that was gonna happen as it did the same with my super sonic when I put thin rods in.

Hopefully I'll get to try one this weekend I'm real curious to see how it handles.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

Re the sonic. Be careful - it generates a lot of rod snapping force. IMHO you will of like it with a floppy LE. It kind of feels dead.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#11 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

Sounds to me like we need a Blast sail with more luff curve to suit the light rods .... BLAST SUL ?? or maybe your just rough John ..... remember soft hands grasshopper .... feel the wind be at one with the wind ... just like Jeremy showed you ;)

#12 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:13 AM

Think about it John, a team burst with the sound effects of the Blast. The pump at the cross over will sound like afterburners That's got to be a crowd pleaser :w00t: .

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

Ummm, in team, they don't sound or behave quite like what you might think.

We gave 'em a hard trial run in Louisiana, both 1/4" and SLEs, in winds of 0-3 and 5-8 mph.

Just got a vented set too (not flown them yet), and will push it a little further...

But, at this point, we're far from sold for team use.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#14 boomzilla

boomzilla

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

OK on a serious note I was wondering if that was gonna happen as it did the same with my super sonic when I put thin rods in

curious you mentioned that...this weekend was kite checkup day, & i ended up cutting a set of three wrap rods for a supersonic leading edge...then, i re tensioned the bungies so they matched the tension on a 1.5...it feels like a different kite without the broomstick as a leading edge...have not been out for a test flight yet...g
glenn pickard
http://rifleart.com/

#15 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

To further my comments on the Blast... I did have a few really fun flights with it by myself on both leading edges, both long and street lines... The kite does have some very different characteristics than the 1.5 series with regard to speed, noise, handling and gliding ability.

And for sure, the 1/4" LE really lowers the wind range. :)

John Barresi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users