Typical wind range in South Florida?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DavidB

DavidB
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

I'm moving to the Boca Raton area (Southeast Florida), and am looking to buy my first quad kite, which I've decided will be the 1.5 B-series. Is anyone familiar with the typical wind conditions in the area? I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off with the non-vented or the mid-vented version of the kite.

Thank you!

- David

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

A mid-vent and race frame would be my selection. I used to live down there and my son still does (Coral Springs).

#3 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

I've spent quite a bit of flying down in that area. Mid Vent all the way. It will give you the widest range up and down the scale.

Mr Denny lives up the coast a little bit from where you'll be and I'm sure he can fill you in a bit on prevailing winds, etc. He might even come down to fly with you as he is up in the Merritt Island area.

Also, Adam Weiner lives down in the Boca area. Pretty sure he is on the forum here too.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#4 DavidB

DavidB
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

Thanks to both of you for the quick & helpful replies!

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

I donít know how predictable the wind conditions are in Florida but if you were here in the UK, I would never recommend a Mid Vent as a first Rev, donít get me wrong itís a great kite I love mine. But unless your wind conditions are extremely predictable one Rev will never be enough.

I would recommend a full sail for your first, as a newbie you will be more comfortable flying a kite at the top end of itís wind range than the bottom, then when funds permit buy the vented, and you will pretty well have all the 1.5 bases covered with two kites with some overlap between the two ranges. The mid vent is the ďicing on the cakeĒ of the 1.5 range it smoothes the transition between the two extremes. IMHO it should usually only be considered when the extremes are covered.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

Great news, another Rev flyer in Florida. Rich is right. Adam Weiner is much closer to you but I have been known to drive a few hours to fly with friends on many occasions. There is a lot of beach between us to be flown. You have to get over to the west coast a few times a year to fly with the T.I. crew!

I guess the often heard saying in South Florida, ďIf you donít like the weather, wait 5 minutes.Ē sums it all up.

If you think that you will only get one Rev ( :devil: youíre wrong :devil: ) then the mid vent is a good way to go. I just got one a week ago and it has a large wind range. BUT I have been flying Revs on Cocoa Beach for quite a few years without one and loved every minute of it. I think the full sail is best to start. Even during the very windy days you can usually fly early morning or late afternoon on the beach with a full sail. You can also fly inland on those days. Beware there are days when you can only fly with a vented.

I have SUL, full, mid and full vent so if you get here before you buy you are welcome to try anything in the bag.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#7 DavidB

DavidB
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

Thanks all for the continued input.

#8 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

@ David

If you think that you will only get one Rev ( :devil: you’re wrong :devil: )

I was only ever going to have one, I was wrong too. Evert time I add to my bag I say this will be the last, I don't need any more.

I have SUL, full, mid and full vent so if you get here before you buy you are welcome to try anything in the bag.

Now there's an offer you can't refuse, try before you buy. There's nothing to beat a bit of face to face advice and tuition from someone who knows what they are talking about and trust me I've never met MR D (there are a few miles between us) but I do know he knows his stuff.

Go for it!
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#9 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

:blush:

Denny #12